Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: My New House 'Sith Saber' - The Overlord in BR/FO  (Read 9629 times)
eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« on: February 21, 2013, 03:47:04 PM »

Hi all,

It was an amazingly frustrating day with how busy things have been at work, but I'm happy to report that the day ended on a very high note for me. My Overlord had arrived, and most of the day's frustrations simply melted away as I held it for the first time. I'll drop a text review here and now, but I'll work out a video review later this eve and post it below when it's ready. My camera's batteries are charging too for the glorious production of the saberpr0n that is to come as well, (for now, it's the iPhone to the rescue).

The hilt:

There was not one flaw on this hilt - none. The anodization is amazing and the details are very subtle yet the saber is very striking. My first impressions were 'OMG, this looks like a true lightsaber!' (as if my Bellicose and Prophecy didn't Tongue). It's not as heavy as the Bellicose, but it's heavier than the Prophecy. It's comfortable to hold and it seems quite balance with the HG blade I ordered with it.

Fire it up!

After swapping the batteries for fresh ones I had waiting, and removing the pommel in favor of the Bellicose's short groove one (I think I found a new home for my saber's original pommel), I struck the blade. My first impression of BR is a very good one. Even with the HG blade on it, the red is incredibly intense, and after staring at the blade for a few minutes, the blade starting turning orange. I then realized that it wasn't the LED causing the orange; my eyes had adjusted and relaxed to the assault of red that it was receiving. I know this cause my off-white walls were a strange shade of blue - eye adjustment! If your eyes have to internally adjust for colors, well, then you know that the saber is pretty bright!

The hilt and blade:

I got a blue AV switch for the saber despite getting the red MLS. Now I have one of each color on my three sabers. The blue works very well for me. In the future, either a GB or AB MLS module will be acquired, so it will match in the future, but blue and red really look great together, and I'm very happy with the outcome of this 'experiment'.

The MLS unit removed properly and my Bellicose's CG fit perfectly. I have to say, I love the Overlord in CG as well, and it was much easier than I thought it would be to swap them out. Cool!

The Obsidian 3 is my next order of business. The board is every bit as loud as the version 2 Obsidian, and the new software is amazing - with the Bellicose pommel. The low-profile Overlord pommel looks great on the saber, but there is no resonance chamber because it's so flat, so be warned that the Overlord's pommel isn't going to give you as full a sound as the other available pommels from Ultrasabers.

I had no issues nor hiccups when loading a sound font on the saber, and the new interface is really awesome. There's also an option to have the launcher run a cyclical redundancy check on the board's memory, so one can always ensure that the sounds are loaded up, and that nothing will be out of the ordinary when you spark the saber. I also liked how you can conect and disconnect the saber to the interface at the click of the button. No more closing and re-opening the launcher like it was in v2. Version 2 was installed right after the version 3, and both work flawlessly side by side. The new Obsidian board is 100% FLIPPIN AMAZING! Nuff said there... my future custom sound font reviews are really going to benefit from this upgrade!

Overall, Ultrasabers has, for the third time, surpassed my expectations with the quality of this saber, and of course the turnaround time was stellar as usual - I had my saber within a week of ordering it. Alex and Emory do it again, and my love of Ultrasabers and their products has only been edified with the service and quality I've received for the third time. Outstanding, gents! These sabers are just plain mind-blowingly awesome. As in holy $#!t awesome. Thank you again!

Video review to come, folks, as well as some more photos and side-by-side shots with my other sabers. Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:34:47 PM by eerockk » Logged

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Ricos
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -48

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »

Congrats on your new Overlord!! Lightside point to you sir!!

Will be looking forward to that video review!

Bellicose DVA...Obsidian
Overlord BR...Obsidian
Overlord BR
Dominix LE v3 CG
Dark Initiate v2 GB...son
Initiate LE v3 CG...nephew
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 AS...son

Saint
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 211

"Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you..."

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »

Congrats E!  I just wish you could relay the tiniest bit of excitement in your textual preview.  Wink  The Belli-Pom-SG looks stylin' on your new baby.  Looking forward to your vid-rev.  Cheers!  

PS  Don't forget to update your sig from "ordered".   Grin

Obsidians in order of acquisition...
Graflex CE;  Guardian;  Dark Monarch Staff;  Consu-Lord CE;  Malice #1;  Archon;  Dark Arbiter;  Overlord;  Graflex SE;  Malice#2;  Shock LE;  Dark Liberator;  Dark Catalyst; Prophecy;  Scorpion

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:42:35 AM »

Glad you confirmed my doubt about the pommel. The Bellicose looks great on it.

My overlord will have a Dark War Glaive pommel on it.

I still cant decide on my next saber XD I want an overlord but also a Shock LE

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Ricos
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -48

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »

My Overlord has the Archon/Dark Arbiter pommel on it. Not for sound reasons though was more for balance. I have no around yet. Waiting for my taxes! lol

Great video review long winded and very descriptive as usual. lol

Bellicose DVA...Obsidian
Overlord BR...Obsidian
Overlord BR
Dominix LE v3 CG
Dark Initiate v2 GB...son
Initiate LE v3 CG...nephew
Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 AS...son

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »

Thanks guys! Here's the video review, though I'm now wondering if I should have posted this in the review section since the thread became a review.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9_ymH5nEI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9_ymH5nEI</a>

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »

Well if need be a Mod will move it for you.

Great review, never was the biggest fan of the Overlord, but everyone needs at least one Sith saber, right? Here is your point Mr. Rock.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 06:18:38 PM »

Well if need be a Mod will move it for you.

Great review, never was the biggest fan of the Overlord, but everyone needs at least one Sith saber, right? Here is your point Mr. Rock.

Thanks Kham! As usual, no photo of the Overlord that I've seen shows it for what it truly is. That's the beauty of Ultrasabers: like the LED colors themselves, the true glory cannot be captured on camera. I hope I don't start getting DS points for this!  Roll Eyes

Thanks again, man!  Grin

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

Nice nice. I want a Sith Obsidian saber so bad. xp How does the Heavy Grade blade look in person? And it sounds like Obsidian 3 is louder than Obsidian 2.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 08:46:06 AM »

I can say obsidian 2 and 3 are identical for sound.

Only big dif is the launcher and 2 button presses for the first lockup.

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »

Thanks Zren and Sky Dragon c5!

The heavy grade has mixed results. It rules with BR, looks pretty good in CG, but doesn't do too well with VA - UEHG works with that.

As I mentioned in my OL review video, it's the pommel's size and shape that determines how loud any saber is.

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »

Nice!

dark side points please

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »

Beautiful saber!

jedicri
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 74

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 04:58:55 AM »

You look like one happy dude!  Took me long enough to find your review.

Nice overview with the blades and pommel.

I agree with you regarding the pommel.  On my Consular's stock pommel, the sound did not resonate as deeply as did the archon pommel --- huge difference.

Happy you got your sith saber man!

Holt
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -24

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »

I allways enjoy your videos eerockk! looking forward seeing your sith font reviews on this saber. you could srart with doing the vader again Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: