Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RDJ on Iron Man Potentially Being Recast After ‘The Avengers 2′ + New Poster.  (Read 5014 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »

Robert Downey Jr. has become synonymous with Marvel hero Iron Man (A.K.A. Tony Stark) ever since the character’s first big screen appearance in 2008. The hero has since evolved into the most bankable and recognizable character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. However, Downey’s contract with Marvel Studios expires after the upcoming Iron Man 3, leaving his continued involvement in the role up in the air.

Previously, Downey said that he would be hesitant to turn his back on the character. Of course, that statement was predicated on the continued high quality and warm audience reception to Marvel’s cinematic efforts, and after The Avengers, audience goodwill is surely at an all-time high for the studio’s second slate of films.

Now, in an interview with Empire (via Comic Book Movie), Downey has again responded to the possibility that he may eventually hang up his metallic hat:

“Let’s just say that the only thing I ever let go of had claw marks in it. There’s a little bit of soul reclamation going on. I feel that the first time I played Tony, I did it best. Sorry! The affinity with Tony now is: How do you sustain something? I’m not stupid, I like to play ball, I love the company, I love the character, and the business side of things, I’m not too picky about that either.”

Funny that Downey should mention the business side of things. The billion-dollar success of The Avengers gives him tremendous leverage in renegotiating his contract, should he choose to do so. However, he does seem far more at ease with the idea of letting someone else step into Stark’s shoes than in previous comments.

“[Recasting] would probably be the best thing in the world for me. You know, ego…but sometimes ego just has to be smashed. Let’s see what happens. I take the audience very seriously – I feel bad when I see folks doing movies and the audience is like, ‘Don’t do that anymore.’ I don’t have to overstay my welcome…”

If the actor bows out, Marvel would likely go the recasting route as the studio seems intent on keeping Stark around for a good long while (or at least through The Avengers 2). Kevin Feige had this to say about the character’s involvement in Phase Two:

“Tony’s going to carry on. ‘Avengers 2′ already has a release date!”

Audiences have thus far responded overwhelmingly well to Downey’s take on Tony Stark, and it could be argued that the actor is largely responsible for the success of Iron Man. So it’s largely in Marvel’s best interest to keep him onboard for as long as possible. We expect Downey to at least appear throughout Phase Two (potentially helping to kick off the cosmic side of things in Guardians of the Galaxy).

However, if he does decide to part ways with Marvel, who would you like to see step into the role? Let us know in the comments.

Iron Man 3 is directed by Shane Black, from his and Drew Pearce’s screenplay. It stars Robert Downey Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle, Gwyneth Paltrow, Guy Pearce, Jon Favreau, Rebecca Hall, William Sadler, James Badge Dale and the voice of Paul Bettany.

Phase 2 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe begins when Iron Man 3 releases May 3rd, 2013, followed by Thor: The Dark World on November 8th, 2013, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4th, 2014, and Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1st, 2014. It concludes with The Avengers 2 on May 1st, 2015.

Source: http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-iron-man-robert-downey-jr-recasting/

Source: http://screenrant.com/iron-man-3-poster-iron-legion-extremis/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »

NOOOOO!!!!!!!! 

RDJ has done an amazing job playing Tony Stark.  I honestly can't think of any other actor that could legitimately fill the role.  I mean, there's a few that could do it, but not nearly as well.

I love the quirky Howard Hughes-esque style he brings.  Short version: I don't want to see any other actor in the role. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »

NOOOOO!!!!!!!! 

RDJ has done an amazing job playing Tony Stark.  I honestly can't think of any other actor that could legitimately fill the role.  I mean, there's a few that could do it, but not nearly as well.

I love the quirky Howard Hughes-esque style he brings.  Short version: I don't want to see any other actor in the role. 

Nor do I, it will be a sad day at Marvel when he finally hangs up the repulsors.

I had a strange thought the other day, "How are they going to make more Marvel movies when Phase 3 is complete?"

Actors are replaceable but in this case it would be like making more Harry Potter without Daniel Radcliff.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

Actors are replaceable but in this case it would be like making more Harry Potter without Daniel Radcliff.

Or making more Star Wars without Carrie/Harrison/Mark?.........  Wink

But yea, it would be tough to do, but I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Initiate v3 - Consular

JapzLapeno
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 52

Enemies strengthen you. Allies weaken.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:32:37 AM »

I really can't think of anyone else i'd like to see as Tony Stark.  He fit the role so perfectly in the first movie, and continues to do so.  I don't want to see a recast on any character unless there's a reboot involved (with the exception of who puts on the Captain America suit, if you know what i mean), but if they suddenly pull that trick, i think i'll give up on it all.  I know it's hard to hold on to actors for as long as they plan on doing this, but maybe just don't do Iron Man 4 in Phase 3 and have him just be in Avengers 3.

"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »

I really can't think of anyone else i'd like to see as Tony Stark.  He fit the role so perfectly in the first movie, and continues to do so.  I don't want to see a recast on any character unless there's a reboot involved (with the exception of who puts on the Captain America suit, if you know what i mean), but if they suddenly pull that trick, i think i'll give up on it all.  I know it's hard to hold on to actors for as long as they plan on doing this, but maybe just don't do Iron Man 4 in Phase 3 and have him just be in Avengers 3.

Agreed.  Though I have no idea what you're talking about with relation to Captain America. 

They did do a recast for the Hulk with Mark Ruffalo.  But I think that was a well thought out decision, and overall a better choice for the part.  As you say, I can't think of a single actor I'd like to see take over Iron Man.  RDJ just plays the part way too damn well for anyone else to fill the suit.

Initiate v3 - Consular

JapzLapeno
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:14:02 AM »

With Bruce Banner, i didn't really like the actors for the previous movies.  Neither really seemed to fit.  i don't know if that's the fault of the actors, writers, directors, or all of the above.  As it was, i didn't really care to see another Hulk movie again, and when i heard rumors of a tv series, i rolled my eyes.  I loved Ruffalo as Banner in Avengers, it made me actually want to see more of the character.  And again, that's probably due to the actor and writer/director Joss Whedon.  The cast they have now fits, and i can't wait to see the new characters they're going to introduce in Phase 2.  I just hope that as the universe grows, the audience doesn't outgrow the actors and that the actors don't outgrow the rolls.

As far as Captain America goes, in the comics someone other than Steve Rogers dons the persona after one of the "let's eff up the universe again this year" things (the civil war over the mutant registration i think?), and it's a character that's going to be in Phase 2.  So if something similar happens (not with the mutants, but whatever they do with Phase 2 and 3), i won't mind so much.  That's not so much a cast change as an evolution of the narrative.

"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »

With Bruce Banner, i didn't really like the actors for the previous movies.  Neither really seemed to fit.  i don't know if that's the fault of the actors, writers, directors, or all of the above.  As it was, i didn't really care to see another Hulk movie again, and when i heard rumors of a tv series, i rolled my eyes.  I loved Ruffalo as Banner in Avengers, it made me actually want to see more of the character.  And again, that's probably due to the actor and writer/director Joss Whedon.  The cast they have now fits, and i can't wait to see the new characters they're going to introduce in Phase 2.  I just hope that as the universe grows, the audience doesn't outgrow the actors and that the actors don't outgrow the rolls.

Couldn't agree more.  Much as I disagree with Whedon, he is a damn fine writer/director.  Watch the Avengers again and notice how he uses dialogue to connect scenes. For example: Fury talking to the council, says "No, it's won by soldiers" and it immediately cuts to The Soldier, Captain America.  He does this all through his films (even as far back as Firefly/Serenity) and it does a marvelous job connecting the characters and audience. 

As far as another Hulk film, I'll quote The Big Bang Theory:  "All I'm saying is, if they pooled the money they spent trying to make a decent Hulk movie, they could probably just make an actual Hulk".  I like Ruffalo as Banner, and think they ought to keep him in the Avengers timeline, but another Hulk movie is a terrible idea imo.

I do really want to see them delve into the only 2 Avengers characters that haven't had a standalone movie made: Hawkeye and Black Widow.  I think both actors could pull of a movie amazingly well, and the characters deserve some development too.

Initiate v3 - Consular

JapzLapeno
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:30:05 AM »

Much as I disagree with Whedon, he is a damn fine writer/director.  Watch the Avengers again and notice how he uses dialogue to connect scenes. For example: Fury talking to the council, says "No, it's won by soldiers" and it immediately cuts to The Soldier, Captain America.  He does this all through his films (even as far back as Firefly/Serenity) and it does a marvelous job connecting the characters and audience.

I think you misread me (or maybe i mistyped it).  I meant that my liking Ruffalo's Bruce Banner was likely due in part to Whedon (like how my dislike of the previous portrayals was possibly due in part to the previous writers and directors).  I draw weird parallels that sometimes end up being "this works for the same reason that this other thing fails."  I love Whedon's work, and i was very happy to hear he was attached to The Avengers.  I want to see more of the character, but i agree that there's only so much you can do with the character, a lot of it has been done (though not so well), and i think the most interesting things you can do with him now is to see his interactions with the other characters.  And i agree that Hawkeye and Black Widow need more exposure.  Especially Hawkeye, he only got to be awesome for a third of the movie.

Darth Bello
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -3

Rawr!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:33 AM »

Or making more Star Wars without Carrie/Harrison/Mark?.........  Wink

But yea, it would be tough to do, but I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Really they are just to old and fat to see in a return;  Luke is the grand master Jedi not a old fat guy

I love Red!

JapzLapeno
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 12:48:47 PM »

And then there's Fisher.  When she voiced Leia in the Robot Chicken specials i about died laughing (and cried a little inside) because she sounds like an 80+ year old great grandmother.  Maybe if they jump further after Jedi and had Ford return for part of it, that could work.  i know Hamill wants to come back, but then he doesn't have much else going on except having his voice fight Batman, and he's not getting many gigs for that lately either.  Kinda tired of WB having someone new doing everyone's voice for every DC animated movie.  Only reason it hasn't bugged me is they get people i like and they're pretty much all standalone movies.  Yeah, i just don't like recasts.

Though so far the Marvel Universe recasts have been pretty good.  So if they HAD to recast Tony Stark, it might work.  Or it might be their first epic fail that kicks off a massive downward cascade for the movie franchise, especially if they do something similar to casting Clooney as Bruce Wayne.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »

Really they are just to old and fat to see in a return;  Luke is the grand master Jedi not a old fat guy

No they are not, if they really are to old they can just fix it up with the same spectaular effects they used on Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

Yeesh, have some faith.  Wink

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

I think you misread me (or maybe i mistyped it).  I meant that my liking Ruffalo's Bruce Banner was likely due in part to Whedon (like how my dislike of the previous portrayals was possibly due in part to the previous writers and directors).  I draw weird parallels that sometimes end up being "this works for the same reason that this other thing fails."  I love Whedon's work, and i was very happy to hear he was attached to The Avengers.  I want to see more of the character, but i agree that there's only so much you can do with the character, a lot of it has been done (though not so well), and i think the most interesting things you can do with him now is to see his interactions with the other characters.  And i agree that Hawkeye and Black Widow need more exposure.  Especially Hawkeye, he only got to be awesome for a third of the movie.

Nope.  You typed it right and I read it right.  We're basically saying the same thing.  I think Whedon is one of the major reasons the Ruffalo/Banner character works so well in The Avengers.  I just disagree with a lot of his non-film viewpoints.

I still maintain that as a writer his style (like I outlined above) is an amazingly effective way to create a bond between characters while including the audience as well. 

Still don't like the idea of recasting Iron Man though.  Blah. 

Initiate v3 - Consular

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:50:52 PM »

Hehe.

Anyway, I would have to know who the new actor is before making any sort of judgement. That's the only logical option from my point of view.

no

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »

Hehe.

Anyway, I would have to know who the new actor is before making any sort of judgement. That's the only logical option from my point of view.

True enough.  I guess the crux of my statement revolves around the fact that I can't think of a single actor I think could play the part.

Initiate v3 - Consular

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: