Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: power-up light  (Read 3080 times)
Kordan
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 04, 2013, 03:52:36 AM »

hi guys

i'm new to the forum, gathering information so i could order my first saber here
there probably was a topic or two about power-up light "animation" but after a quick sweep through first few pages i didn't come across such topic
anyway, i was wondering is such feature available with ultra sabers?
in my opinion, a thing like that really brings a saber to a whole new level and i'd like it very much on my future saber

tnx in advance, and sorry again if i made you guys answer the same question all over

may the force be with you

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:19:39 AM »

If you're talking about the animation in which the blade seems to move up and down like an actual lightsaber, then no, that is not something available with Ultrasabers. The way to achieve such an effect is to have a string of LED lights within the blade that light up in sequence in order to create the light up animation of the light traveling up and down the blade. Ultrasabers uses blades that are hollow in which the light comes from a powerful LED within the hilt, therefore only allowing for a flash-light type of turn on. Perhaps at some point Ultrasabers will find a way to achieve that effect while keeping the blades duel worthy, but for now it is not an option with them.

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:30:52 AM »

Actually there is a way to simulate power up/down with a single LED in the hilt.  It is achieved by ramping the LED power up for a power on, and stepping the power down  for a power down.  The current Obsidian board is full on or off, there is no in between.  In a ramped ignition, the LED turns on dimly and intensifies to full brightness.  During shutdown the LED fades from full brightness to off.  The Crystal Focus/Petite Crouton boards provide this effect, and it is very cool and does make it appear that the blade extends/retracts.  I am hopeful that a future version of Obsidian will incorporate this feature, as well as adding blade shimmer effects during idle and clash.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:35:50 AM by Schtuperman » Logged

Graflex CE: AB/AS
Overlord: (x2) BR/AS-HP/AS
Shock LE: AS/AB
Manticore: (x2) CG/AS-VA/AS
Guardian: GB/AS
Archon: FO/SY
Crimson Reaper: (x2) SY/AS-AS/BR
Dark Arbiter: CG/AS
Phantom Initiate v3: BR/AS
Phantasm Initiate v3: CG/AS
Raven: GB/AS
Dark War Glaive: PO/AS
Dark Standard: AS/BR
Menace CE: Emerald

Kordan
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »

yes, i was talking about that animation because i saw that the hasbro replicas have it and wondering if it is available here

tnx for the replies Smiley

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

Yes Hasbro and a couple of others have the LEDs throughout the blade for the effect, but unless you are content  to swing your saber around in the air, you can't seriously duel with them without breaking the blade.  It usually begins with dark segments where some of the LEDs aren't lighting, and eventually from a point to the end of the blade goes dark.  I've been through a few of them...   Wink

Dark War Glaive: PO/AS
Dark Standard: AS/BR
Menace CE: Emerald

Akos_Amun
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

I am the Hidden One, the White Falcon

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:54 AM »

To me, the animation of the blade extending/retracting seems a bit strange. If this is a blade of pure energy, I don't feel like it would slowly grow to full length, I think it would jump instantly to life, I really like the effect in Ultrasabers. I think when you see it next to a Hasbro replica, you will understand what I mean, especially if you get it with sound. Your friends will poop their pants and want one too (hopefully they won't really poop, that would be gross) because these are louder, feel better, look amazing, and are way stronger. (midgrade blades are very strong and lightweight my personal favorite, Heavygrade blades are stronger, but much heavier and feel less like a lightsaber, more like a glowing sword to me)

You'll be happy with your saber, don't worry. Also keep in mind that the smiths that make sabers with the petite crouton/crystal focus soundboards charge a ton more, they make cool stuff, but for the price/quality, you can't beat Ultrasabers! they rock. plus you'll get your saber about a week or so after you buy it, not 6 months later.

[‾๐‾‾]▦[ooo]▦ị[]ị /RGB Prophecy CE
[))___(___o)_|:)):]GB Liberator V2
((__((>_o_)>(_(_(_(_|_)_)_)_)<(_o_<))__))BR Phantom LE V3
[=[[[[[[[_(_o_( (o(( (\∟[PO][VA][DVA][SRD][SY] Bellicose*
[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__]GB Aeon LE
( ]>|:|:|<( o )|]:[||GB Monarch CE*
*sound
http://chancesofrain.blogspot.c

Kordan
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »

while that does make certain sense i actually like it better when the blade is forming upon power-up... it's one of saber trademarks
and, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think that throughout the movies the animation comes in different speeds? maybe due to saber requirements? like, if there's an imminent threat it comes up faster, almost instantly, and if you need to play it cool, it comes up more slowly.. i've allways felt that sabers are also connected to jedi through force so they can "control" them...
dunno, maybe it's in my head Cheesy

regarding the craftmanship at ultrasabers, the quality is pretty much obvious even on the videos
and because of quality/price ratio i'm definetly getting a saber (or more ^^) from them
i was just wondering if that power-up animation was available Smiley

Slaxxor
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 36

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »

... these are louder, feel better, look amazing, and are way stronger.

You forgot to mention brightness.  Ultrasabers are at least twice as bright as any commercial saber I have ever seen.

I have a friend who has  a vader replica, it does the ramped blade turn on thing.  It is also much dimmer then any of my Ultrasabers, the sound is maybe a third as loud, and it seems to just randomly make swing and clash sounds.  That, combined with the fact (as mentioned above) that they are for looks only makes them pretty substandard compared to an Ultrasaber.

What good is a weapon you can't fight with???

Kordan
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 11:53:50 PM »

well, i guess i'm saving for a guardian then Smiley

Schtuperman
Knight Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 01:38:11 AM »

well, i guess i'm saving for a guardian then Smiley

That is an awesome choice for a saber.  Try to get it loaded with sound, FoC, an illuminated A/V,  and of course in your very favorite color.  I promise you will be not be disappointed.  Of all my sabers, and I have over 30, when I unboxed the Guardian I was totally blown away.  It is a very impressive "man-saber!"  Mine is Guardian Blue with Silver FoC, blue A/V, recharge port, etc..  The Guardian's recharge port is unique from the ports on all my other sabers (wish all of them could have the Guardian style).  It doesn't have the retaining nut on the outside like normal recharge ports, and it is almost flush with the hilt.  I had my port mounted in the same black segment as the A/V, 90 degrees right, in the black area where the shroud wraps around.  They located it perfectly exactly where I requested.  The Guardian is my personal favorite saber.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:42:04 AM by Schtuperman » Logged