Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ Press Screening Reveals Spoilers  (Read 2652 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »

[Warning: MAJOR SPOILERS ahead for 'Star Trek Into Darkness']

Based on the action-packed trailers and featurettes for the film, J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness is going to boldly go where no Star Trek film has gone before…in terms of all out spectacle, anyway. But will the movie deliver a story that both regular audiences and hardcore Trekkies can get behind?

The answer to that question depends largely on Benedict Cumberbatch’s character, John Harrison. Harrison, who is described as a “one man weapon of mass destruction” is one of Star Trek’s best kept secrets. Despite months of speculation around who the character is – from a reimagining of Khan to a character that goes even further back in the Star Trek mythos – the folks at Paramount have done a pretty good job of keeping his motivations under wraps.

That being said, Abrams and Cumberbatch have both taken time recently to talk about the character in broader terms. In a recent interview for the new issue of Total Film (via Comic Book Movie), Abrams explained how Harrison is a different villain than the first film’s vengeful Romulan, Nero.

“[Nero] was just a raging, vengeful lunatic. All he wanted to do was destroy Vulcan, Earth and the Federation…He had backstory but was kind of irrational. The beauty of Benedict’s [John Harrison] is that he’s completely rational. He’s someone that you can have conversations with. You couldn’t sit down and talk to Nero – he’d bite your head off!”

In the same article, Cumberbatch also weighs in on his character, mostly to describe his fighting ability, saying “he’s a kick-ass warrior, as masterful with his hands and body as he is with weapons” and that fans “will have a great discovery” about his character during the film.

While that “discovery” may still have to wait until the film hits theaters on May 17th, thanks to a recent press screening of the movie in Brazil, many other plot questions have now been answered.

A recent article at the Brazilian website Judao.com.br (which was spotted by TrekMovie.com) lays out many of the details of the beginning of the film. Needless to say, the rest of this article contains MAJOR SPOILERS about what happens to Captain Kirk and crew in the new movie.

Sprinkled among minor things like a description of a scene where Kirk is in bed with two “cat people” (meow, indeed), there are a number of important spoilers that came out of the press screening. One of the biggest reveals is the identity of Peter Weller’s character. According to the report, Weller will play “Admiral Marcus” who, presumably, is the father of Alice Eve’s character, Carol Marcus.

In the recently released prequel comic book series for the movie, former Enterprise captain Robert April says that his First Officer was named “Alex Marcus.” Could the characters be one in the same? It seems likely, and, if so, could explain some of the plot.

Speaking of the comic book series, here’s a little more information about Robert April. According to the comic book, Robert April decides to ignore the Prime Directive (which states that the federation cannot interfere with alien civilizations) in order to help the inhabitants of planet Phaedus IV, who are being slaughtered by the dominant race on the planet. Rather than turning him in, Alex Marcus allows April to stay and covers up for him with Starfleet. (Hat tip to ComicBook.com for the summary.)

As Hit Fix‘s Drew McWeeny speculated last year, there’s another angle to the Robert April character that makes things even more interesting (and complicated). In his article, Drew references an episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series called “The Counter-Clock Incident,” in which Robert April saves the crew from a disease that causes them to age backwards.

I’ll let Drew take it from here:

Meanwhile, in the books, April is revealed to be someone who came from Coventry in England. You know England, right? That’s where London is. You remember why that matters right? Because of the one-sheet looking out on the London skyline.

And the opening of the film, which you’ll see at the IMAX presentation, features a moment where Cumberbatch offers to help a family whose daughter is hospitalized in the London Children’s Hospital. So it seems like England is important to this April character. Hmmmm. And why does the daughter need help? Because she appears to be prematurely aging.

[In some books], Pike is April’s second-in-command. So what if something happened to April on a mission somewhere with Pike. It didn’t have to be on the Enterprise as long as the two of them were serving together. And what if something terrible happened to April because of Pike and Pike came home and went on with his life? What if April is the one who comes to Earth, not for revenge on Kirk, but for revenge on Pike?

Now I’m the one speculating, but what if there’s some plot twist that involves April, Marcus, and Pike? Perhaps Pike was in some way responsible for whatever happened to April and now, through some anti-aging process, he’s come back younger and stronger and seeking revenge (meaning John Harrison is just a pseudonym). Meanwhile, his old friend Marcus is helping him get to Pike and the Enterprise.

Okay – my head hurts. Anyway, onto the next spoiler. You know how the crew is running around like crazy in the opening volcano sequence? Well, in order to get Spock out of a jam, it looks like Captain Kirk has to also violate the Prime Directive by revealing the Enterprise to the inhabitants of Nibiru. Because of this action, Kirk is demoted to First Officer and replaced by the returning Captain Christopher Pike (Bruce Greenwood). Meanwhile, Spock is transferred to a different ship.

Why isn’t Kirk sent all the way back to the Academy, like Pike wants? Because Admiral Marcus insists on merely demoting Kirk to First Officer. (There’s Marcus again, mucking things up for Pike.) Okay, that’s the end of the spoilers.

What do you think of this new information? Are you able to connect the pieces any better than I was? Are you still as excited to see Star Trek Into Darkness when it comes out in two months? Let us know in the comments.

Star Trek Into Darkness hits theaters May 17th, 2013.

Source: http://screenrant.com/star-trek-into-darkness-spoilers-peter-wellers/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

Still excited? Yes? Stoked at the Marcus and possible April appearances? As well as the Pike reappearance? Yes! If anything, I'm MORE excited than I was! Somehow though.... I remain unsure of some of these spoilers and theories. They are good, and for the most part seem to fit very well, but something just doesn't seem quite.... correct. Like there's a missing piece, or a crucial misinfo in there someplace. Which could be called typical for Abrams. lol Either way, very stoked!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 02:58:37 AM »

Granted, I haven't read nearly as much about this movie as I could have (I prefer to be surprised), but the description here...

“[Nero] was just a raging, vengeful lunatic. All he wanted to do was destroy Vulcan, Earth and the Federation…He had backstory but was kind of irrational. The beauty of Benedict’s [John Harrison] is that he’s completely rational. He’s someone that you can have conversations with. You couldn’t sit down and talk to Nero – he’d bite your head off!”

In the same article, Cumberbatch also weighs in on his character, mostly to describe his fighting ability, saying “he’s a kick-ass warrior, as masterful with his hands and body as he is with weapons” and that fans “will have a great discovery” about his character during the film.

...really smacks of Khan to me. That was the thing about Khan, he was the cold, calculating villain at times, but when you first see him, he's an incredible charmer. You could sit down and speak with him, and likely find yourself agreeing with his way of thought until you left the room and really reflected on what was said.

I could be totally off base, but I think it would be amazing to see Khan re-imagined.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 03:17:03 AM »

I could be totally off base, but I think it would be amazing to see Khan re-imagined.

I think that they will, if they make a third one it will probably be Khan.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:22:07 AM »

Not to get totally off track, but you know who would be really awesome to see in this? Any of the following:

Kang.... Koloth.... and Kor....

Think about it, we know there's gonna be Klingons.... in the Prime Timeline they were very famous Captains, Klingon Nobles, etc. It would also be really cool to see a secondary villain in the film as General Chang. I always thought General Chang was one of the great Villains of Star Trek, and that Star Trek VI was particularly one of the best movies. Even being the great admirer of the Enterprise A that I am, and of the Connies in general, I always loved that end battle. She got so smashed up, and yet she gave better than she got. Who didn't love seeing the hull compromised with that Torpedo? A Klingon that could pull that off deserves more than a one shot appearance in the franchise if you ask me.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 05:35:06 AM »

Not to get totally off track, but you know who would be really awesome to see in this? Any of the following:

Kang.... Koloth.... and Kor....

Think about it, we know there's gonna be Klingons.... in the Prime Timeline they were very famous Captains, Klingon Nobles, etc. It would also be really cool to see a secondary villain in the film as General Chang. I always thought General Chang was one of the great Villains of Star Trek, and that Star Trek VI was particularly one of the best movies. Even being the great admirer of the Enterprise A that I am, and of the Connies in general, I always loved that end battle. She got so smashed up, and yet she gave better than she got. Who didn't love seeing the hull compromised with that Torpedo? A Klingon that could pull that off deserves more than a one shot appearance in the franchise if you ask me.

To Kor, the Dahar Master!

JapzLapeno
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 52

Enemies strengthen you. Allies weaken.

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »

I kinda see why they're avoiding the Klingons right now.  Not including Worf, they were in half of the first 10 movies.  Granted, this makes the fifth movie without them, so having them in the next movie (ESPECIALLY if it's one or more of the three previously mentioned by the last couple of people) would be very fitting (and about time).  My Star Trek experience has been very Klingon heavy because i started with The Next Generation and the movies, and i've watched Deep Space Nine (especially season 4 on) about 5 times in the last 4 years.

I was expecting him to be Khan, i'm hoping he's not Khan, being Khan won't ruin the movie for me, but i really hope he's not.  Though this all feels very much like the buzz around the character of Miranda Tate in The Dark Knight Rises, and anyone who knows what i'm talking about knows how THAT turned out (hey i managed to reference that without spoiling too much).

"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »

Though this all feels very much like the buzz around the character of Miranda Tate in The Dark Knight Rises, and anyone who knows what i'm talking about knows how THAT turned out (hey i managed to reference that without spoiling too much).

I checked out the cast long before the movie was released and she was already listed as *spoiler* Wink

no

JapzLapeno
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 52

Enemies strengthen you. Allies weaken.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »

I've noticed that depending on where you look, they'll list the rumored actors/characters.  Unless they got a look at the end credits reel.  i just remember all the way up to the release, all the fans were saying "she's totally _____" and Nolan and the cast kept saying "no she's not".

When i heard Cumberbatch was cast as the villain, i was hoping for Gary Mitchell.

"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:13:59 PM »

Still stoked for it... just waiting until May!

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: