Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help with Sith costume concept?  (Read 5746 times)
AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« on: March 09, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »

Hello all, i'm planning a Sith cosplay and would like some input on the ideas I had for the costume itself. The traditional robed look doesn't stand out enough for me, so I was looking for a more combat oriented appearance.

For clothing I was thinking of black cargo pants as well as sleeveless rash guard, both black.

For boots I would either wear (well worn) black paratrooper boots, or these:  http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-438375/pgid-438377

I would also be wearing some knee and elbow pads, probably black AltaFLEX pads like these:  http://www.cobratactical.com/AltaFLEX-Tactical-Military-Elbow-Pads--53010_p_530.html

I'm trying to lean away from the traditional look, but still be instantly identified as Sith. Let me know what you think!   Cheesy

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »

Might I suggest a mask and/or shoulder/chest armor of some sort?  Maybe a cape too, instead of a cloak.  Without it I think what you described would look more like SWAT than Sith. 

That being said, I do like the concept!  Keep it up man.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:31:33 AM »

I strongly recommend something for your arms. I have never seen a Sith depicted with bare arms.

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/sparring_gear/Martial_Armor.aspx

Century's Martial Armor has a unique look to it. I use it for my Grey Jedi costume.

MAV

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:33:24 AM »

I've been thinking of some chest armor, but don't really have any experience with making any of it or forming anything. I'll look more into it, but a cloak is definitely something I can do! Thanks for the input.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 03:58:02 AM »

I've been thinking of some chest armor, but don't really have any experience with making any of it or forming anything. I'll look more into it, but a cloak is definitely something I can do! Thanks for the input.

I thought you wanted to avoid the cloak?  Maybe I misunderstood.  Anyhow, the armor Master Artorius posted looks excellent to me.  Enough so that I'm thinking about getting it too, if it can stand up to sparring (which I assume it can, given the website).

Also, you might consider a look like Darth Malgus if you want to avoid the hooded look.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:19:38 AM »

It's not so much the cloak in particular as the robes, knee high boots, and hood and the overall appearance. While I know it IS the Sith tradition, it seems very overdone and un-distinguishing to me personally. A cloak could be made smaller and more with agility in mind, say waist or mid-thigh length than the typical ankle length commonly seen. I hope that clears things up and helps define my concept behind the whole costume.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

So, you're wanting to avoid the robes and cowl.  That can be done.  It's only really a tradition in the sense of Palpatine and Maul, from the films.  Dooku and Vader don't do it - they just do cloaks.

Are you wanting to do a cloak that comes around in front of the body?  Or more of a cape, that stays on the back and back of the arms?

Part of the question, for me at least, would be - is the character one who fights openly?  Or more of the shadowy manipulative type?  How you costume can help reinforce the character...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

dhenwood
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 28

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »

imo the outfit you have described does sound too much like a military costume, i would suggest instead of army combats go for the more traditional boots but i reckon the rest of it could work. a mask/rebreather would be perfect to show your not a standard soldier airsoft mask of some type perhaps

( :::::::::::::::::::::::[}o[i i i i i i i][ i i i i i i i]o{}::::::::::::::::::::: )
                                       Phantom LE AS

/l-----¬
()={i i][llll][  o{ii[}}] | ::::::::::::::::::::::::::: )
                               \l
     Scorpion BR

Da

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »

So, you're wanting to avoid the robes and cowl.  That can be done.  It's only really a tradition in the sense of Palpatine and Maul, from the films.  Dooku and Vader don't do it - they just do cloaks.

Are you wanting to do a cloak that comes around in front of the body?  Or more of a cape, that stays on the back and back of the arms?

Part of the question, for me at least, would be - is the character one who fights openly?  Or more of the shadowy manipulative type?  How you costume can help reinforce the character...

A cloak that comes around the front of the body would be ideal, but wouldn't be too much of a hindrance in combat. This character would be very much the combative type, the subtlety and manipulation would be of his opponent in the midst of combat, not outside of it.

Dhenwood, I have a painter's respirator that could work, it's black with the filters on either side of the mouth.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »

Well, Dooku and Vader both have a stiff shoulder in their capes - Vader's is armor on the shoulders, while Dooku's has heavy fabric and seams.  David Prowse didn't lift his arms a lot as Vader due to the costume, and Christopher Lee is pretty old right now (but is still awesome - seriously, look the dude's history up.  He may have a name in Star Wars remarkably similar to poop, but Christopher Lee is a total badass.)

So, the trick with a cape that comes in front of the body is that the clasp mechanism needs to not catch on the neck, and that the shoulder fabric needs to not restrict the movement of the arms/shoulders.

Now, for me, I like the old idea from a Batman comic, where it was revealed that Batman has sewn weights into the points of the Batsuit, making it one more weapon.  And effective use of the cape as a distraction is a viable tool, in my opinion.

If you have access to a fabric/craft store near you, that can be a good place to start.  Most such places will have books of patterns, which will let you see how the items look.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »

Now, this may sound really silly, but would something akin to a poncho in shape work? Large enough to drape over the front and back of the torso, but shaped in a way to allow the arms plenty of unrestricted movement.

I will be dual wielding a pair of Initiate V2's with 28" blades, to give an example of the range of motions needed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: