Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: I'm going to become a survivalist  (Read 37616 times)
Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« on: March 24, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »

The reason for that is a bit complicated.

First, I don't have my own real estate in Moscow, where I currently live, and my relatives, who allowed me to live while I'm studying, do not want me any longer. Real estate is ridiculously expensive in Moscow, and I can never hope to earn enough money to live there on my own. That means, I have to migrate to someplace cheaper, that is, to someplace remote.

Second, I really do have a belief that the current world peace will not last long. It's political, so let's not discuss that here.

That's why I'm going to move to Yurievets, Ivanovo Oblast, after I graduate. It's a small podunk town in the middle of nowhere, but that's also where I grew up. The real estate in the place is very affordable, and, what's important, it is safe. It will be safe in case of any war, famine or revolution. I will be able to obtain a gun license after I settle in the place, and stock up on ammo and canned food. The country surrounding Yurievets is very convenient to hone my wilderness survival skills anytime I want to. I'll still have Internet access, which will let me do remote and freelance work and earn for a living without having to work for some sleazy corporation. And I shall finally have a home and life to call my own, not borrowed from someone else.

It will not be easy, switching to this lifestyle. But this is what I long dreamed of, and I'm going to make it real.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »

It can't be any harder than farm life.  I applaud your desire to become self sufficient.  Much success I wish upon you Rina.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.  I can understand when you have relatives that no longer want anything to do with you.  In all honesty, you are much better off without them. 

Blue

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »

Yes, farm life is an option, too, and it's completely free (we have an old family farm converted to a dacha, still easily convertable to its full agricultural potential), but I'm not going to make such a big jump. I guess I have to adapt step by step.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »

You'll make it.  It is tough at first but you will get a routine going and before you know it, it is second nature.  Have you ever thought of emigrating to another country?  We have a great number of Ukranian and Russian immigrants in my area.  Most have come to work here in healthcare and mining.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »

No, I don't think I can live in another country. And I don't want to miss the fun stuff after the federal regime is gone.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »

No, I don't think I can live in another country. And I don't want to miss the fun stuff after the federal regime is gone.

Points for that!

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:32 PM »

Hello there. It's my third day after I moved to the old farmhouse, and I'm reviving this thread. I have internet, and am slowly setting up my life here. It's still summer, and I have little work to do (just a little gardening), but the worst (the Russian winter) is yet ahead.

However, I'm right now not going to cheat out and rent an apartment. I'm going to try and brave the worst the winter will throw at me down on the farm.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »

Good luck to you. I've often contemplated that kind of lifestyle, mostly because I can't stand where I live. Hopefully things work out for you and it doesn't become a burden of its own. Best of luck and stay safe.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

Venturous, why not? You live in a place with way better climate than mine.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »

Rina good to hear from you again!

So you are seeking the dream of dachniks?  Smiley

Your dream is a good one IMO.

I am hoping you are as prepared as you think for the winter.  Surely you know better than anyone on the outside looking in.

How strong are your pickling and canning skills?  My limited experience with Russian pickles leaves me wanting more...seemingly everything is on the pickle list Cheesy

Hopefully you can share pics of your adventures!

Быть в доме хозяином

(hope that was right...host of your own home!)

Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »

So you are seeking the dream of dachniks?  Smiley

A dachnik is a city slicker who only comes to the country for summer, when the climate is forgiving, and uses it for recreation. When winter is coming, a dachnik does not brace themselves: they run for the city under the first autumn rain. And I'm a survivalist, not a dachnik. Same difference as between a cowboy and a dude (tourist). The dude has fun and shoots photos of himself in a cowboy hat to show his friends back East, and the cowboy lives and works. I hope I made the difference clear. I'm not offended, however, since you didn't mean it.

Быть в доме хозяином

(hope that was right...host of your own home!)

Now that was right.

My skills at pickles are miserable to nonexistent. However this isn't my strong suit. I'm going to specialize in growing makhorka tobacco (mopacho) and distilling moonshine ^_^
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:25:12 PM by Rina Ascura » Logged

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »

A dachnik is a city slicker who only comes to the country for summer, when the climate is forgiving, and uses it for recreation. When winter is coming, a dachnik does not brace themselves: they run for the city under the first autumn rain. And I'm a survivalist, not a dachnik. Same difference as between a cowboy and a dude (tourist). The dude has fun and shoots photos of himself in a cowboy hat to show his friends back East, and the cowboy lives and works. I hope I made the difference clear. I'm not offended, however, since you didn't mean it.

Now that was right.

My skills at pickles are miserable to nonexistent. However this isn't my strong suit. I'm going to specialize in growing makhorka tobacco (mopacho) and distilling moonshine ^_^

No I did not mean offense at all...I had come to understand that dachniks meant those that live all the time in a dacha/cottage!   I had fully intended the ideal of a cowgirl or mountiangirl and not a dude or dudete.

Yikes...lost in translation...Sad

Moonshine...now this is something I know a little to a lot about!

What will you be using for your starter stock?  Grain or fruit?

And pickles...pickling is fun and pretty easy...

Light side points please Smiley

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »

A mixture of sugar and fruit leftovers from the garden. Apples, plums, cherries, blackcurrant, all mixed into a tutti-frutti. It's not a problem to acquire raw material; making the alembic bothers me a little more. I face the same problem as Ultra trying to create a curved hilt: bending metal pipe into a spiral.

Khaalis
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 38

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »

Wow, this thread just reminds me how small a world we live int today.  I have Russian heritage (as well as a few friends that studied abroad over there) and come from a line of Lightning Runners from the SE USA.  My hat is off to you for your choices.  It takes a brave soul to face the Russian Winter without being fully prepared.  I'm also so glad to see that moonshine is still alive and strong in other countries as well. One huge regret I have is that we never got my great grandfather's home-still vodka recipe before he passed away. Best alcohol I have ever had. /sigh

Points to you. Keep us posted on how things develop! Smiley

My Sabers (All customized & Obsidian): Emerald Archon v2.1 (DVA),  Emerald Dark Menace (SY), Emerald Shock LE (BR)

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »

It takes a brave soul to face the Russian Winter without being fully prepared.  

But I am fully prepared. I've got a traditional big stove, a good stock of firewood, warm clothes and loads and loads of determination.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: