Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: I'm going to become a survivalist  (Read 37619 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

A mixture of sugar and fruit leftovers from the garden. Apples, plums, cherries, blackcurrant, all mixed into a tutti-frutti. It's not a problem to acquire raw material; making the alembic bothers me a little more. I face the same problem as Ultra trying to create a curved hilt: bending metal pipe into a spiral.

OOooo oooo I know an answer to this one!

Sand!

Tap a tapered wooden dowel into the lower end of your copper tubing.

Pour sand in from the top until a inch or two from the top.

Tap the sand tight with a straight fitted dowel so that the sand becomes tightly packed.

Add more sand, tamp, repeat...until it will not tamp anymore, put a tapered dowel on the top.

Find a tube or related rounded object to wrap your copper tubing around, secure the one end and wrap.  If there is any restriction then a torch will help but should not be needed.  The sand will provide positive resistance from within and help prevent any weak points or kinking.

Once the shape has been achieved pop the dowels loose and release the sand...water from above attached with a tube will help pass the packed sand if it is stuck.

Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Khaalis
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 38

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »

But I am fully prepared. I've got a traditional big stove, a good stock of firewood, warm clothes and loads and loads of determination.
LOL. You are a better person than I. I may have said the same thing once upon a time. I fear I've just gotten soft in my old age. Smiley

I really do admire you and wish you all the best. I really hope it works out well for you.

My Sabers (All customized & Obsidian): Emerald Archon v2.1 (DVA),  Emerald Dark Menace (SY), Emerald Shock LE (BR)

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

Can I use salt instead? To remove it more easily, by dissolving in water.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:49 PM »

In truth I have never had an issue with getting the sand out...large crystal salt could work...I live on the beach so sand is always the first choice.

The salt will be more dust in the end if used that way I suspect...but yes it should work fine.

I have used shielded cable in place of sand before...pass the cable through, bend the curve, then remove...but this can be tricky and is best with one or two bends and not the eight to ten you should need...I would stick with grains.

Khaalis
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 38

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »

Ah. I am no expert but I remember being told that salt is not very good for this application because of its crystal nature. Packing in even the finest ground salt still leaves a lot of open space and air around the crystal form of the salt. Also the crystals will crush and shift under the pressure creating even more space and air pockets.  Sand on the other hand has a much smaller surface area and packs much more densely together. It creates a more stable inner resistance.

My Sabers (All customized & Obsidian): Emerald Archon v2.1 (DVA),  Emerald Dark Menace (SY), Emerald Shock LE (BR)

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »

Ah. I am no expert but I remember being told that salt is not very good for this application because of its crystal nature. Packing in even the finest ground salt still leaves a lot of open space and air around the crystal form of the salt. Also the crystals will crush and shift under the pressure creating even more space and air pockets.  Sand on the other hand has a much smaller surface area and packs much more densely together. It creates a more stable inner resistance.

All this is true...though with copper tubing, it wants to bend lol...but I would still use sand.

Smiley

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 12:56:38 AM »

Rina, can I come with you? LoL! I wouldn't survive the cold, I'm used to 110 degree weather. And I'd drink all the moonshine.

I day dream of doing this but up in Canada on Baffin Island. I've never been there nor even to Canada but it just seems so serene and isolated up there. I have only have some camping and survival skills but I do have more than most people I know. 

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »

There will be enough moonshine drinkers even without you. I'm expecting my friends coming to visit me in autumn. On the other hand... get a long enough visa and drop in! You'll be permanently on duty at the stove, the thing can get unbelievably hot.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 12:39:14 PM »

Harvest season is coming, and I'm amazed at the amount of apples already grown. Only today I've picked four buckets of good apples and two of rotten ones, and there's WAY more to come. In no way I can eat so much, alone or with help, I'll make some money by selling those and there'll be left enough for moonshine.  And that's only apples.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »

Today I learned a new skill: using a steam juicer. Got a three liter jar of juice out of several kilos of apples. This will be the raw material for my moonshine; after I've got 15 liters, I'll start fermenting it. And any excess juice is fine for drinking as is.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 04:45:46 PM »

Great news on the bountiful harvest and the steam juicing!

I have not used that process yet...point for you...I am intrigued and will research further!

Are they Antonovka apples?

Cheesy

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »

Nope, mine are green and red, and antonovka is yellow.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 05:18:29 PM »

Like these?

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:32 PM »

Nope, still too yellow. My apples are red and green, maybe both at once, with no middle ground.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »

Nope, still too yellow. My apples are red and green, maybe both at once, with no middle ground.

Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: