Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 102528 times)
Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« on: May 14, 2011, 10:16:49 AM »

I wanted to see who favors what forms, and their explanations for why.  I will collect all the knowledge and grow in Power  Wink

I Myself am a Master of Form V Shien/Djem So, I like Darth Vader prefer it's straight forward pure offensive style.  Being 6" 2' and 220 lbs. I use my body's power and momentum to overwhelm my opponent.  I have found this to be particularly effective with a Staff, or Single Saber.  The staff when whirled around in a X shape creates a perfect impervious wall of both Pure Offense and Unbreakable Defense.  Granted, one has to have the upper body strength to do this, and I would add that attempting this with a Darth Maul Staff is not a very good idea (as I have discovered it is one of the heaviest hilts around).  The single blade is used most proficiently by utilizing Pure Brute Strength and Smashing Through your opponents defenses. (word of caution, if you employ this form in combat, please be weary that you do not crack the skull open of your opponent  Undecided , I used to run a group of people down here in the DFW area that dueled and I have seen this be a problem first hand.  This involved a not so careful trained swordsman and a teenage girls head  Undecided , I'll let you formulate the image on this one.)

So what do the rest of you favor?  Simplicity with Shii-Cho or has one of us dared to Master the Deadly Art of Juyo/Vaapad............ and I wonder if a Jedi dares utilize it, hmmmm very interesting we shall see..........

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

thejedimasternick
Ultra Sabers Veteran
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 22

Go green? Go red!

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »

I am still trying to piece together the entire idea of the whole form thing. I know what they are in definition and I know how they are used and how they are meant to be used, as well as their practioners. But, me being me, I want more. I want more grounded ideas and practices and something to truly go on. I research the forms and their mentalities, but more importantly, I try to put them into practice with their own personalities. I never liked the whole each Jedi and Sith have a certain form thing. That is because when they were making the movies, that never came to mind. It is not until recently that they started to define the whole form thing. But, all in all, it is very interesting. I enjoy the concepts and I like seeing everyone interpretations of them. I like, and respect, how certain individuals (looking at you Caine!) try to give them shape and form. I think that is very key to people who dont know what they are doing or are confused on how to do things. YouTube is a good thing, but in the wrong hands, can be bad! But, personally I like to quick and confusing approach. Sometimes though. I think it is wise to defend when needed, but also look for oppurtunities to strike. Other times you need to out due your opponent in stamina. Others, well, you just need to do some quick varried attacks and go from there. So, it is always different. I dont like staying to one certain form. But, I would have to say I prefer more of a grounded Djem So, mixed in with some Soresu technique and top it off with Ataru/Juyo based attacks and speed.

Star Wars Society of San Antonio
Sith Shadow Council of Texas
San Antonio Lightsaber Academy

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:09:28 AM »

I try to stress with my students as often as i can that not being struck ought to be their first priority.  between utilizing footwork and the distance between combatants, and training bladework into subconscious execution, Soresu is a strong governing philosophy. we train endurance, so if the fight does go long, we will not tire first...allowing us to exploit the cracks in the opponents' strategy that are sure to appear. that being said...
this is all balanced by a determination to use the last third of the blade, with quick cuts and thrusts, the most and to the best advantage. i endeavor to take the opponent a piece at a time, to end the conflict with intelligent and decisive strikes. Makashi is also a very strong influence on how i teach and fight.

Iyce
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 26

Off-White Jedi

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 05:44:55 AM »

I made up my own form that is an adaptation of forms 2,5,7,8 and 10. It works to be really fast and end the battle very easily. Unfortunately I cannot share it with you all because I am very proud of it and do not want it to be stolen by some thief and taken for their own.

"Was that a droideka I cut in half? Huh! Didn't notice!"

Sabers I Want        Sabers I Have
Metal Grab Bag
War Glaive Staff
Dark Initiate LE
Aeon RGB

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

I don't think I really have a form. I'm more like Luke, where my actual training is limited, so I use the few moves I actually know and put them together with whatever else I have to do to keep myself alive, so to speak.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »

Vaapad and Djem So for me.  I'm just large enough for the strength-intensive Djem So to work for me, and the speed and whirling ready stance of Vaapad give me an edge that allows for quick counters and adjustments.  Also, most people don't expect a light-sider to launch into a fight aggressively, which gives me quite an advantage.

Gotta love watching those Sith backpedal after they underestimate my fury.

beans22
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »

I prefer ataru because I am 5 foot 8 but very lean and flexible. However I am probably more like form 8 sokan because I don't jump around as much and my form is a bit more open.

Darth Andronikus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -31

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »

i use juyo/ataru since i'm 5'10 an 125 i try to really on my speed and never let bigger opponents to get an attack in and risk being over powered

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 01:37:37 AM »

I tend to favor Form II: Makashi.  Having fenced for years, this style comes naturally to me.  However, I also love putting some speed and force into my attacks, so I like to practice forms IV and V in sparring.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 01:42:33 AM »

Vaapad and Djem So for me.  I'm just large enough for the strength-intensive Djem So to work for me, and the speed and whirling ready stance of Vaapad give me an edge that allows for quick counters and adjustments.  Also, most people don't expect a light-sider to launch into a fight aggressively, which gives me quite an advantage.

Gotta love watching those Sith backpedal after they underestimate my fury.

I would be very interested to face you in single combat Shardsbane, seeing as we both use a very similar style.  However make no mistake, if you think you see me backpedaling-I am merely trying to use your over confidence and fury to my advantage and lure you in for a flanking blow to your back  Wink

I am pleased at your fury however....... You should consider joining We Sith on the Dark Side of the Force......... Fury feeds off your emotion, and I thought that there was no emotion-that there was only peace???  Realize the Truth, that peace is a Lie, and that there is Only Passion, Join us on the Dark Side and Fulfill Your Destiny!!!!!!!!

(also, it should be noted that we (at the Sith Spa lol) have a wonderful grooming crew that will attend to your every hair need, you will never have to deal with your body spanning hair again lmao  Grin

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Iyce
Knight Ensign

Off-White Jedi

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 02:09:56 AM »

::)Overconfidence is a sith weakness... For us, there is only peace. And the only lie is that the dark is more powerful than the light.

Metal Grab Bag
War Glaive Staff
Dark Initiate LE
Aeon RGB

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:17:12 AM »

I hold to neither the code of the Jedi, nor the code of the Sith, Wraith.

"Pour out the overflowings of your anger, look on the proud and abase them.
Hide them in the dust together, bind their faces in the world below.
Around my blade is terror, dismay goes before me.
Rescue the weak and the needy, deliver them from the hands of the wicked.
Strengthen the frail hands, and make firm the feeble knees."

I would gladly face you in combat, Wraith.  Then we shall see who is truly stronger.

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 05:47:56 AM »

I hold to neither the code of the Jedi, nor the code of the Sith, Wraith.

"Pour out the overflowings of your anger, look on the proud and abase them.
Hide them in the dust together, bind their faces in the world below.
Around my blade is terror, dismay goes before me.
Rescue the weak and the needy, deliver them from the hands of the wicked.
Strengthen the frail hands, and make firm the feeble knees."

I would gladly face you in combat, Wraith.  Then we shall see who is truly stronger.

I am Truly in Awe Sir, rarely do you meet another with such intellect as this, (Darth Wraith Bows to Lord Shardsbane), I would welcome this test, and even if I were to fall to your blade good Sir, I know I would fall to a worthy and wise adversary. 

Darth Andronikus
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -31

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »

Roll Eyes the only lie is that the dark is more powerful than the light.
your precious lightside blinds you from the truth the dark is the only way and if you don't realize that then you are weak!

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe

Iyce
Knight Ensign

Off-White Jedi

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 02:56:27 PM »

You are the weak one, if you cannot see that peace is the only rewarding way.

Metal Grab Bag
War Glaive Staff
Dark Initiate LE
Aeon RGB

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: