Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 102490 times)
OlynKhorn
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -47

« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2016, 01:57:11 AM »

my favorite saber form is pretty much the one im actually capable of and thats form V: djem-so
i like the brute force concept and hammering away at the opponent.
Same here. Being short and stock doesn't lend itself to speed or agility.

Lightsabers owned: Dark Apprentice V4 LE saber staff in Blazing Red, Dominix V4 in Blazing Red, Mantis in Consular Green, Fulcrum in Guardian Blue, Archon V3 in Sentinel Yellow, Intiate V4 LE saber staff in Consular Green, Renegade LE saberspear in FO, Dark Catalyst in VA

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2016, 05:32:56 AM »

my favorite saber form is pretty much the one im actually capable of and thats form V: djem-so
i like the brute force concept and hammering away at the opponent.

maybe a bit of form VII: juyo
i can get aggressive during a heated saber fight

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2016, 01:12:51 PM »

The 4th Ataru is my favorite one because of the martial art I am training for.

But because of my size/age, maybe I will change for a form less "acrobatic" Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Darth Blightus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -201

dark side points

« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2016, 03:32:17 AM »

i also like form ii: Makashi
other then kendo i adore fencing practices.
makashi shows complete elegance in lightsaber duels.
so my top three favorites are form II, V, & VII

Only in darkness can one see the true light.

ExoticKazama
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 20

I'm probably being sarcastic

« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »

I employ a mix of Shien (backward grip and everything!) and Vaapad. Looks pretty badass with the reverse grip.

TheGreyKnight
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »

Many Djem So practitioners in SW lore are 6'+ and a mountain of muscle. I like Djem So but I'm 5'7" and a little on the heavy side, does size and stature make certain forms less suitable or do I use what I do have to my advantage and make my own personal Djem So style?
I'm a fan of swords in general, primarily katanas, long swords and rapiers (so maybe my hybrid Form will consist of Shii-Cho and Makashi built upon Djem So)
Because of my height what would be a good blade length for me?
Also, I had a random thought of trying to wield a yari extension connected to a mantis hilt, what are people's thoughts on that combination?

Dark Liberator, Fire Orange (grab bag)
Crimson Mantis, TRI Blazing Red (stunt version)
Form V: Djem So - neophyte
"Peace through superior firepower"
Next sabers: 2 Grab Bags: Violet Amethyst, Sun Rider's Destiny

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2016, 12:39:15 AM »

Many Djem So practitioners in SW lore are 6'+ and a mountain of muscle. I like Djem So but I'm 5'7" and a little on the heavy side, does size and stature make certain forms less suitable or do I use what I do have to my advantage and make my own personal Djem So style?
I'm a fan of swords in general, primarily katanas, long swords and rapiers (so maybe my hybrid Form will consist of Shii-Cho and Makashi built upon Djem So)
Because of my height what would be a good blade length for me?
Also, I had a random thought of trying to wield a yari extension connected to a mantis hilt, what are people's thoughts on that combination?

Anyone can use any Form, IMHO.  Djem So doesn't just use physical power, it uses applied power.  Less brute force and more technical expertise in weapon usage, which means anyone with any size or shape should be able to accomplish it!  In fact, in many ways I consider those tactics to be favorable to a shorter swordsman, since concepts like the bind require you to close distance (which is typically not the greatest tactic for a taller person with more reach).

TheGreyKnight
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »

Oh yeah you're right, one of the greatest Djem So masters in canon was about 5'8": Luke Skywalker
It makes sense about the shorter guy have the advantage at close quarters, when I used to spar with bokken I preferred the smaller shoto against my opponent. Once I was in close it was relatively easy to deflect their bokken and land a gentle tap on their arm

Dark Liberator, Fire Orange (grab bag)
Crimson Mantis, TRI Blazing Red (stunt version)
Form V: Djem So - neophyte
"Peace through superior firepower"
Next sabers: 2 Grab Bags: Violet Amethyst, Sun Rider's Destiny

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #233 on: September 15, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »

I gravitate towards Juyo just from my own experience in training with martial arts. My school put a lot of emphasis on aggression and ruthlessness and we were all trained to treat it as perfectly normal while fighting with staffs or sabers to throw in kicks/punches to create a fluidly unpredictable fighting style.

Aerthias Kodoun
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 11

Nova 'leven, ready to vape 'em TIEs!

« Reply #234 on: December 08, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »

RESURRECTION

I've always loved Forms II and III. When being aggressive, I usually grip the saber with one hand and start thrusting and making quick swings towards my opponent, while also trying to advance to keep them moving backwards.

Defensively, I always grip the hilt with both hands and keep the blade close to my body, while also staying light on my feet and only deflecting blows when I know I can't dodge them (which I guess would be more of an Ataru practice).

Though, I don't strictly adhere to these habits when dueling. Sometimes I'll defend myself with one hand on the hilt, and sometimes attack with both hands. Honestly, it mostly depends on who I'm fighting.

So looking back on all that, I assume that I put into practice bits and pieces from most Forms, while ticking with the philosophies of Makashi and Soresu.

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 44

Light Side

« Reply #235 on: December 09, 2017, 07:48:46 PM »

I'm working on my own form derived from my SCA Heavy Combat greatsword experience.  It's based on Joachim Meyer's Five Mastercuts, and the concept that no motion is wasted and every strike is aimed for the opponent rather than the opponent's weapon.  It's closest to Form V, but it has has an equal emphasis on defense and attack and little reliance on counter strikes.  I call it Krieghau, or The Way of the Bantha.

Who says red is only for the bad guys?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »

I'm working on my own form derived from my SCA Heavy Combat greatsword experience.  It's based on Joachim Meyer's Five Mastercuts, and the concept that no motion is wasted and every strike is aimed for the opponent rather than the opponent's weapon.  It's closest to Form V, but it has has an equal emphasis on defense and attack and little reliance on counter strikes.  I call it Krieghau, or The Way of the Bantha.

That's really cool!  Great user name too.  Can't wait to see what you end up making, be sure to post video here in the Saber Combat section when you're done!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:51:20 PM by Master Nero Attoru » Logged

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:47 AM »

I'm working on my own form derived from my SCA Heavy Combat greatsword experience.  It's based on Joachim Meyer's Five Mastercuts, and the concept that no motion is wasted and every strike is aimed for the opponent rather than the opponent's weapon.  It's closest to Form V, but it has has an equal emphasis on defense and attack and little reliance on counter strikes.  I call it Krieghau, or The Way of the Bantha.
Very interesting concept for a form. Regardless of the lightsaber form I am practicing, teaching or of the “mindset”, I always revert back to the kendo concept of Sansappo or the three ways of making an opening;
-kill the technique (parry and counter)
-kill the sword (move the sword out of the way and strike)
-kill the spirit (aggressively take away distance or the opponent’s center and strike)
At my school we talk about these three strategies frequently and are always practicing, developing and refining techniques for all three in whatever form one is currently studying. I want to read more and reflect on this idea of every strike aimed at the opponent to apply that concept to some specific saber manuavers and applications. Thank you for sharing! Very cool stuff.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »

Very interesting concept for a form. Regardless of the lightsaber form I am practicing, teaching or of the “mindset”, I always revert back to the kendo concept of Sansappo or the three ways of making an opening;
-kill the technique (parry and counter)
-kill the sword (move the sword out of the way and strike)
-kill the spirit (aggressively take away distance or the opponent’s center and strike)
At my school we talk about these three strategies frequently and are always practicing, developing and refining techniques for all three in whatever form one is currently studying. I want to read more and reflect on this idea of every strike aimed at the opponent to apply that concept to some specific saber manuavers and applications. Thank you for sharing! Very cool stuff.

Interesting breakdown!  I don't have experience in kendo but as a fellow swordsman, those three groupings make perfect sense to me.  Moving the opponent's weapon off the center line and violently closing distance seem to be two very consistent concepts in every sword art, and parry/counter goes without saying.

I'd love to see some more discussion, feel free to make a thread here if you feel the same way!  I have a passion for mixing it up with others from different arts and backgrounds in swordsmanship.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »

One of the Canne technics aims at moving the weapon of the opponent by kicking his/her arm (in fact, we can use kick as well as our weapon but it can be dangerous because our legs can be touched by the weapon of the opponent ... so kicks are difficult to do Wink ).

Moving the weapon of the opponent is interesting and you must use all your body. It makes the fight more physical and spectacular to me Wink

Can not wait to watch to any vids you could make !!!

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: