Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 102540 times)
Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »

Hmmmm, Form III's Impenetrable Defense, Combined With Form VII's Lightning Deadly Offense.......... I will not like look forward to facing you on the battle field, for my specialties lye in my knowledge in the Dark Side of the Force..... but in this case, I'm not sure it would matter lol Wink

Indeed, he is quite the accomplished duelist.  Very unpredictable too.  I keep my distance typically, using my Makashi bladework to keep him at bay.  We should make a video in fact, throw it up here on the forums!

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »

And we will just as soon as we get together and the ladies agree to run the cameras!

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »

And we will just as soon as we get together and the ladies agree to run the cameras!

I Very Much Look Forward To Seeing This.........  Grin  Who Knows You Guys Might Even Rival "Ryan VS. Dorkman"  Wink

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Dave of the Sith
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -44

NO ONE GETS THE DROP ON THE MONARCH!!!

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 11:05:49 PM »

I'd have to choose several....
Ataru (something my bro and I are working on.)
Juyo (my preferred style. Still working it into routines.)
Jar-Kai (still in the practice stages.)
 I'm also a fan of the sweeping swings of Shii-Cho.

War Glave Custom w/Quick Disconnect
Arbiter Custom now with Quick Disconnect
Blazing Red, Violet Amethyst, Arctic Blue
Twin Monarchs w/ Silver FoC and red AV
Blazing Red Silver finish
FEEL THE WRATH OF THE MONARCH!!
Episode III Sidious sound
Episode V sound
OBSIDIAN ALL THE WAY, BABY!

Enzayer
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »

I know from my steel training that I don't like the two handed swings that typically are found in the strength based forms, V and VII.  My arms tend to bind on themselves; plus I'm a pretty big guy, 6' 1" 240 pounds, so strength comes naturally to me one handed.

I also know I like the speed and utility of the two equal bladed style of form VI.  Some of the stuff that i've pulled off on this against the "bruiser" opponents has left them scratching their heads.  There is also the intimidation factor when someone is coming in at you with a blur of blades in front of them.

Finally I do like the Trakata, and actually employ a similar technique with a steel sword.  I'll come in with a strong, dedicated, and telegraphed hit.  However, instead of connecting hard on the blade I'll slide off their guard and then either thrust or move on to another strike while they have exposed themselves guarding a strike that never fully connected. 

Got a bit off topic there, but then I enjoy talking shop.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 01:00:16 PM »

I know from my steel training that I don't like the two handed swings that typically are found in the strength based forms, V and VII.  My arms tend to bind on themselves; plus I'm a pretty big guy, 6' 1" 240 pounds, so strength comes naturally to me one handed.

I also know I like the speed and utility of the two equal bladed style of form VI.  Some of the stuff that i've pulled off on this against the "bruiser" opponents has left them scratching their heads.  There is also the intimidation factor when someone is coming in at you with a blur of blades in front of them.

Finally I do like the Trakata, and actually employ a similar technique with a steel sword.  I'll come in with a strong, dedicated, and telegraphed hit.  However, instead of connecting hard on the blade I'll slide off their guard and then either thrust or move on to another strike while they have exposed themselves guarding a strike that never fully connected. 

Got a bit off topic there, but then I enjoy talking shop.

Sounds like some pretty good tactics.  I myself find it difficult to make those wide two handed swings as well - I think it may be because fencing drills the whole "keep your actions small" idea into you.  Instead, I tend to use the controlled fencing style Makashi while occasionally using some forceful blows, since I also am able to put some force behind one handed attacks.

When I do use pure Form V, I tend to use two hands but still keep that "small, controlled movements" idea.  Instead of wide powerful cuts, I have controlled forceful attacks along with an aggressive defense.  That's just my personal usage of Form V.

Oh, and I also tend to use some Shien - or at least the reverse grip (Starkiller) form of it.  Awkward at first, but actually pretty useful once you get the hang of it.  In fact, when I dual wield with my twin Dark Standard Issues I tend to hold one reverse grip and one normal, it's very effective in keeping the blades from getting tangled and moving smoothly from offense to defense or vice versa.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:34 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is that many form V practitioners tend to over-emphasize the width of their strikes.  Honestly you can keep a controlled cut and still have it powerful and very effective.  You don't need to move the blade any further than the width of your opponent.

Enzayer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 12:43:29 AM »

Oh, and I also tend to use some Shien - or at least the reverse grip (Starkiller) form of it.  Awkward at first, but actually pretty useful once you get the hang of it.  In fact, when I dual wield with my twin Dark Standard Issues I tend to hold one reverse grip and one normal, it's very effective in keeping the blades from getting tangled and moving smoothly from offense to defense or vice versa.

I've never had much trouble with the blades getting in each others way with Florentine, but I tend to have pretty good 3D perception.   A reverse grip does give you a good defense though.  You sacrifice the reach of regular grip for a good quick guard.  Really with reverse all you have to do is place the blade parallel to the body and switch sides to inter pose it between you and your opponents blade.  Also the sweeping motion created by this movement is great for redirecting thrusts.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many form V practitioners tend to over-emphasize the width of their strikes.  Honestly you can keep a controlled cut and still have it powerful and very effective.  You don't need to move the blade any further than the width of your opponent.

My training considers people to be in close to plate armor.  Truly, the sword needs to move in atleast 90 degrees to get good power behind it for that kind of opponent.  Otherwise, yes you can still get some good power out of lesser angles.  Also my problem come more at the end of a swing than the begining.  Thats where my wrists tend to lock with each other.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 12:03:17 PM »

My training considers people to be in close to plate armor.  Truly, the sword needs to move in atleast 90 degrees to get good power behind it for that kind of opponent.  Otherwise, yes you can still get some good power out of lesser angles.  Also my problem come more at the end of a swing than the begining.  Thats where my wrists tend to lock with each other.

Are you training a specific style or system like Kendo?  If it is indeed a Japanese system, check that your reverse hand (the hone closer to the end of the hilt) isn't staying stationary as you cut, put that your hands create a push-pull effect (reverse hand should be pulling).

Enzayer
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 01:52:43 AM »

I'm training in a medieval european style.  Even with a hand width between my hands the blade ends up about 20 degrees from my oppents center at the apex of the swing, that's whith out turning my hips. 

But we digress.  So how bout them saber forms.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 05:18:54 AM »

I'm more like a gladiator style of fighting. Not sure you could put that into a form or not.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

@Enzayer:  Yeah I figured from your description you were a medieval european style.  Longsword?  Regardless, that makes sense with the wide swings, you do get more power.  I was just saying that I like that controlled power you get when you use strong but small cuts.  To each his own though, that's what makes saber fighting so interesting!

@Raze:  You just made me picture Russell Crowe with lightsabers... which would be supremely badass lol.  Do you use shorter blades to simulate the Gladius or do you just mean that you use improvisation in your fights?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »

@Raze:  You just made me picture Russell Crowe with lightsabers... which would be supremely badass lol.  Do you use shorter blades to simulate the Gladius or do you just mean that you use improvisation in your fights?

Right now I'm using regular blades, however my next order is going to be an Initiate(they're the same size as a Gladius) which will be my main weapon. And yes, I improvise A LOT.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 03:22:03 AM »

I primarily use a mix of Makashi, Soresu, Ataru, and Shien. I guess you could call it "Maksoratien!" I probably use Ataru the most though.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »

Sounds a little like Form VI.  Which parts of the forms to you utilize?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: