Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 101832 times)
Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:28 AM »

Interesting breakdown!  I don't have experience in kendo but as a fellow swordsman, those three groupings make perfect sense to me.  Moving the opponent's weapon off the center line and violently closing distance seem to be two very consistent concepts in every sword art, and parry/counter goes without saying.

I'd love to see some more discussion, feel free to make a thread here if you feel the same way!  I have a passion for mixing it up with others from different arts and backgrounds in swordsmanship.
Yes, I agree! Strategies for openings would be a great idea for a thread.  Every sword art has interesting takes on these philosophies that can be applied to modern light sabering. This forum is a great resource for various backgrounds.

Can not wait to watch to any vids you could make !!!
Thank you! I have a lot of footage from the AFAs dueling night last week that I want to edit into a video real soon. After that, I think our next video will focus on a tutorial and theory discussion of openings. I look forward to everyone’s input.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2018, 01:44:22 AM »

Wow! Coming back to this after almost five years and BOY have things changed! Master Nero predicted a strong Shii-Cho/Djem So leaning, and that is definitely there at times, but I've become something of a devotee of Makashi. A fact that I'm sure will please him.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPLiGKobw8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzPLiGKobw8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XpPs5SLsNA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XpPs5SLsNA</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qj5eCBcLJU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qj5eCBcLJU</a>

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

Wiffle68
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2018, 01:49:34 AM »

Hopefully I'm getting this in the right place, seems like a good place to start at least. I'm looking for opinions on what style best fits a saber staff (or double blade). I'm wanting to incorporate learning one of the 7 fighting styles into my workout routine. Hit the weights, do some cardio, train with my lightsaber. Seems like it could be fun while also adding an extra kick to my fitness regiment. It's also just something I've wanted to do for a really long time, learning some form of combat. I figure learning lightsaber techniques would be pretty cool. I've been doing my own research but I'm getting mixed reviews. I'm 6'7" and pretty well bulit, I'd be using a Dark War Glaive saber staff. I imagine using a style similar to that of Savage Opress. Slow, but strong and deliberate. Any and all opinions are welcome!

"After a thousand years… Korriban is ours again!" -Darth Malgus

Sabers owned:
2 Dark War Glaives (made into saberstaff)

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »

Hopefully I'm getting this in the right place, seems like a good place to start at least. I'm looking for opinions on what style best fits a saber staff (or double blade). I'm wanting to incorporate learning one of the 7 fighting styles into my workout routine. Hit the weights, do some cardio, train with my lightsaber. Seems like it could be fun while also adding an extra kick to my fitness regiment. It's also just something I've wanted to do for a really long time, learning some form of combat. I figure learning lightsaber techniques would be pretty cool. I've been doing my own research but I'm getting mixed reviews. I'm 6'7" and pretty well bulit, I'd be using a Dark War Glaive saber staff. I imagine using a style similar to that of Savage Opress. Slow, but strong and deliberate. Any and all opinions are welcome!

So, my personal opinion as a staff wielder is that Juyo and Vaapad are the best fits for the staff. That being said, I'm a hell of a lot shorter than you, 5'6. Still, a saberstaff's strength is that it is fast and adaptive at fighting multiple opponents at the same time. Outright strength isn't such a benefit with a saberstaff when compared to speed, agility and control and it's a great workout to use because it will always and forever engage your whole body. There's no other way to maneuver a saberstaff. When it comes to using it as a fighting implement, a staff is great because it's easy to add things like kicks and to use even the grip of the staff as a weapon. 

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »

Here comes my personal opinion on double blade saber staff (Like Darth Maul's) ... that means that you can, of course, disagree Wink

I will not answer about "forms" sorry, but i will focus on what i understood about your needs: "Slow, but strong and deliberate"

As the extremities of a double blade saber staff are blades (yeah, i know, obvious Wink ), grip can only be done in the middle. Saying that, there are many staff fighting styles that can not be adapted because most of staff fighting styles propose extremity grip (English, French, Chinese ...). Actually, the main advantage of a staff is its length ... so using only middle grip is not researched.  

BUT some parts of many can be as middle grip can be used for some power close combat Wink

"Slow, but strong and deliberate" makes me think about some aspects of the "English" way, popularized by this famous duel Wink

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_Jean#/media/File:Robin_Hood_and_Little_John,_by_Louis_Rhead_1912.png

In this vid, we can see the main middle grip technics of English Quaterstaff approach ... Hope it will help you tou figure what your own style could be Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvT0y7Pk5Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvT0y7Pk5Y</a>

Or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvT0y7Pk5Y for our Lady 7 Wink

That said, i would advice to try HEMA associations that practice English quarterstaff to have the basics. If not, you can try Wushu ... the style is very different but it can give you all the basics you need Wink

Hope it will help you to answer your own question ... let me know.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Master Althalus
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 39

« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »

grip can only be done in the middle.
And it cannot be used to parry.  Wink

That said, it's almost useless against multiple opponents, as it cannot do the wide swings necessary to keep them at distance, and has a limited way of moving.

I'm using a version with two shoto-blades, that actually works a lot better - faster changing of directions, less risk of "cutting" oneself, easier handling. Against a single opponent, it works good, being able to disconnect the staff into two shoto gives some more versatility.

When it comes to the Seven Forms - to me, they don't make any sense at all (from a martial artist's PoV, mind you). You've got 7 different methods to use the same weapon, so basically you should be able to use any variant with every form.

Sabers
Emerald: Dark Mantis
Obsidian v4: Shock, Dark Initiate v4, Consular
Obsidian Lite: Aeon v4, Dominix LE v4
Stunt: Apprentice v4, Initiate LE v2, Aeon v4

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »

And it cannot be used to parry.  Wink

You can if you consider some materials from the old "Legend" EU ... LOL

But yes, you are right Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Wiffle68
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2018, 06:18:37 PM »

Here comes my personal opinion on double blade saber staff (Like Darth Maul's) ... that means that you can, of course, disagree Wink

I will not answer about "forms" sorry, but i will focus on what i understood about your needs: "Slow, but strong and deliberate"

As the extremities of a double blade saber staff are blades (yeah, i know, obvious Wink ), grip can only be done in the middle. Saying that, there are many staff fighting styles that can not be adapted because most of staff fighting styles propose extremity grip (English, French, Chinese ...). Actually, the main advantage of a staff is its length ... so using only middle grip is not researched.  

BUT some parts of many can be as middle grip can be used for some power close combat Wink

"Slow, but strong and deliberate" makes me think about some aspects of the "English" way, popularized by this famous duel Wink

That said, i would advice to try HEMA associations that practice English quarterstaff to have the basics. If not, you can try Wushu ... the style is very different but it can give you all the basics you need Wink

Hope it will help you to answer your own question ... let me know.

Thank you! I definitely see the benefit of practicing real world styles of combat, and in the long run I'm sure it'd give me a more complete wheelhouse of capabilities compared to just practicing the 7 forms. But I'm still really interested in adapting one of those styles to my combat form.

What got me into wanting to try this out in the first place was my love for everything Star Wars. I play the Old Republic MMO, I re-downloaded the KotOR games to my computer and blazed through those, just finished watching "The Clone Wars" on Netflix for the third time since it premiered years ago. I've been a Star Wars since I was a kid, but I've recently doubled down on my fandom. Maybe it's because we're finally getting new movies, or just the massive amount of content out there now. But I've definitely jumped down into the black hole of the Star Wars universe, so to speak.

To stay on topic here, I'd for sure say I want to focus on one of the 7 forms from the Star Wars universe. Or at least some form of combat within that spectrum. The reason I mentioned Savage Opress is because I feel like he's really close to my body type. I a taller/bigger guy, and while decently in shape (I play basketball, lift weights, do cycling) I'm not super nimble or agile. I'm sure with time and getting in better shape those areas will show improvement, but I'd rather play up to my strengths than solely focus on slightly improving my weaknesses.

"After a thousand years… Korriban is ours again!" -Darth Malgus

Sabers owned:
2 Dark War Glaives (made into saberstaff)

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »

What got me into wanting to try this out in the first place was my love for everything Star Wars.

We all have this same problem LOL

Practicing the Forms needs strong basics. If you do not practice some MA or fighting sport, i think that practicing Form I with one blade could be a good idea.

Starting directly with a double blades saber can be very frustrating because it is very difficult ... everybody is not Ray Park Wink

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »

When it comes to the Seven Forms - to me, they don't make any sense at all (from a martial artist's PoV, mind you). You've got 7 different methods to use the same weapon, so basically you should be able to use any variant with every form.

Yeah, I think most martial artists will agree with you there.  The concept of the Forms just doesn't fit into real combat without extensive modification, which was how we managed to make that framework into a usable training method for TPLA.  Otherwise, it's mostly just fun fiction!

We all have this same problem LOL

Practicing the Forms needs strong basics. If you do not practice some MA or fighting sport, i think that practicing Form I with one blade could be a good idea.

Starting directly with a double blades saber can be very frustrating because it is very difficult ... everybody is not Ray Park Wink

Basics are everything, which is why Shii-Cho is so essential.  You think once you've cleared it, you're done with it, but really... you come to the realization that EVERYTHING is Shii-Cho.

DarfHaydarr
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #250 on: May 04, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »

I prefer using a mix of offense and defense, a little heavy on the offense (my friend plays defense so I am practiced at breaking defense). We have been using bamboo poles, because my first order has not yet arrived, but I will be using a Flamberge as my main saber.

Red Flamberge LE (Stunt), Green Sentinel LE V4 (Stunt), Arctic Blue Sentinel V4 (Stunt), White Aeon LE V4 (Stunt)

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »

personally, I prefer forms V and II because I have a fencing background and I also have a martial arts background that teaches me to overwhelm my opponent  without getting myself hurt in the process

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: