Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best Way To Spray Paint Captain Rex Blaster?  (Read 2164 times)
Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:56 AM »

So my blaster should be in any day now. But I was wondering what would the best way to paint it would be without damaging the electronics. Just take the batteries out? I think you guys will like it when its done. =] I just wanted to run this question by you guys. Thanks for any help.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:13:38 AM »

I would disassemble the entire thing, remove the electronics, and paint each part seperately. Then I would put it back together after painting has been completed.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:24:22 AM »

I don't want to have to do that though. x.x Would take too long for me and I wouldn't know how to take everything apart or put it back together. I was just thinking of taking the stock batteries out and covering the light windows if that wouldn't hurt anything.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:45:37 AM »

I don't think that'll hurt anything will it?

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »

Update. Blaster should be in later! Cheesy (Ohio time). So I will do before video and after modding same with pictures. =] A nice painting project will keep my mind off some things for awhile. I'm going to do two coats that way its nice and shiny then the clear protective coating also. I think I got how I can paint the blaster without taking it apart and such. Once I get the blaster I'll know what to do with it.

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

I was just stating the easiet way in my opinion. Since it's just a Hasbro toy (I'm assuming) it should only be held together by a few screws that can be taken out then replaced after painting. Plus, taking it apart would eliminate the need to maticulously tape off areas like blaster windows and such so you don't get paint on the lights and whatnot. It's just easier from my perspective. But whatever floats your boat.

Aurentis
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 02:34:19 PM »

Having painted plastic weapons before (I've modded a few NERF guns in the past) I can safely say that the best way to paint the weapon is, as Kitsune says, to take it apart.  Take pictures in various stages of deconstruction, so you have a reference for putting everything back together.  I also tend to keep the internals roughly in the same arrangement outside the gun, just because I'm kind of weird like that.

I also suggest you not try and use Krylon Fusion paint.  I've found it's largely ineffective and either takes forever to dry, or scrapes off too easily.  Instead, sand the crap out of anything you intend to paint, until there's no more gloss coat.  Hit it first with a flat gray primer, and then go to town.  When you have achieved the look you want and the paint is dry, you may want to consider clear-coating it as well.  That's optional, but it'll help preserve the paint job you've been working on.

One thing to be mindful of when you're painting: if you take the gun apart, it would be in your best interest to snap some toothpicks or Q-tips in half and jam them in the screw slots.  You don't want paint to get down into the threading, because the pressure from screwing things together again may cause the housing to snap.  Or you might just end up mired in paint, turning a screw that isn't going anywhere because there's just too much paint in the thread.

Emotion, yet peace.

Crimson Reaper: SRD
Shock LE Staff: DVA/AS
Aeon v3: CG [Stunt]

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »

Also, as an artist, I'll put forward that good work usually involves a good pace and time invested into it.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

If you didn't already see my post I'm just going to leave the finish as is but just take the black warning labels and etched in lettering off and all. leaving the other lettering on though. xp Now I just need my costume. Lol.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: