Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Decisions...  (Read 7594 times)
Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »

Huzzah!

Gears of War. That's pretty much it. Everything else is on the PS3.

Well... that's depressing Cheesy

im assuming you are talking about the starwars xbox console here?

Eeyup.

yer, i had this on pre order as soon as i heard about it and had the cash to put the deposit on it Cheesy i agree overpriced- but i didnt care i had to have it! and its actually been a good thing see, r2d2 only beeps if you get up and activate the on off button yourself (instead of using the controller)- so it makes me be less lazy just so it can beep at me!

and then i also love this lil addition to it:

and this is how much we love xbox Cheesy

theres also an xbox original in the cupboard, a dead xbox 360 floating around somewhere (damn the earlier consoles and their red ring of death!) and a fourth xbox 360 hooked up to one of my computer screens in the study thats one of the very first and has been repaired twice under warranty for red ring of death. thats a bit old these days, and the drive sticks. but it still works! oh and i have a windows phone so i have xbox live on it   Grin
dont let the red ring of death issues deter you though, long as you get a newer one they are fine. never had any issues with my r2d2 console (which just turned 1), or my other halfs elite (few years old now). and if you have a wireless set up at home and get a second hand one, try and get one with wireless built in. so much better than cords. sure you can buy the wireless adapters but they arent cheap, least they arent here in oz.

oh and hobbit- you just huzzahed that the xbox is best  Grin

I prefer the first Borderlands Wink Question - have you ever used a PS3? I'm just asking because a lot of people with a really strong console preference have never tried the alternatives.

I am indifferent toward either the Bioshock option or the Xbox option.

HOWEVER, I recommend you do not go with the Wii option. Purely due to the fact that the games that everyone loves (ie, Super Smash Bros Brawl, etc) are so hard to get that you will pay the price of a new game almost (in Aus to get one that is decent condition pre owned is ~$50-60)

I went into EB and asked for it, they looked it up and only 2 were available at that time in all of Victoria.

I also found that there was a bigger variety of games on Xbox, and you of course get the better game play from PC Smiley

Just my 2c

PS. I like that you are playing KoTOR Wink

Good to know, thanks! I was assuming the Wii game prices were going down, but I guess those were just the crappy ones... Wii is off the list.

I was not a big fan of Bioshock Infinite.  I can't get into my reasoning without major thpoilerth, so I'll stop there.  Suffice to say, I maintain that the first game was the best in the series, both in atmosphere and execution.

I saw some of the maps compared to maps from System Shock 1 and 2... not very impressive Tongue Aside from that, I have no way to judge (although I also heard there isn't a decent final boss fight).

I would suggest a 360.  The PS3 exclusives you list are not attractive games in my eyes, and to be honest, I wouldn't let exclusives make my decision for me, personally.  While there are some decent ones out there, for the most part I find exclusives to be pretty weak, especially when they enter sequel territory.  (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, GOD OF WAR.)

I hate God of War... anyway, exclusives would be a pretty big incentive to get it - if I can already get all the same games for PS3, there's little reason for me to get an entire new system (there is no way gameplay could be that much better, if at all, so like I said - variety is the main motivation for buying one. No variety = very little interest).

The Wii has some titles I am incredibly fond of, and will be probably for the rest of my life.  Having said that, if you're going the Wii route, be prepared to drop money, because as mcnaughton said, many of the popular Wii games are becoming harder to find, thus Game Stop is charging more for them.
I'm right there with you on RE.  I own the RE5 Elite 360.  I literally bought it the moment it hit my store because it was red, and because it came with RE5.  A pure impulse buy, and I haven't regretted it once.

I was always a little disappointed that it was just red... should've had an Umbrella Corp. logo on it somewhere, if you ask me, but I would still buy it in a heartbeat Wink

UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME:
I really don't get the raving praise aimed at Demon's Souls.  I played it back when it was called Devil May Cry and its hook wasn't "lol we're gunna kill u till u break ur controller in half."

I'm not seeing many similarities with DMC. DeS is action role-playing, whereas DMC is action and hack-n-slash.... The main reason I love the Souls series (so far) is how the lore is presented and the lack of hand-holding (although Dark Souls' intro is a little too easy - last time I played it, I got through the asylum without taking a single hit). The games aren't that hard once you get your timing down. It just requires a bit of patience. Parrying also makes things a good bit easier once you've gotten the hang of it. I will admit, though, it has one of the worst fanbases I've ever come across.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:00:39 PM by Luna » Logged

no

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »

I assume if you were to get the bioshock series it will be on PC?

In that case, make sure you update your display drivers as there was a huge issue with lack of optimisation that they have since fixed for Infinite.
As for my opinion on Infinite, it was a really good ending in the sense that when you finish you need to sit there for a few minutes and think. Which I love in games, it was kind of similar to Donny Darko (great movie) in the sense that unless you think on it, you have no idea what is going on Smiley
I still think BS1 is the best of the series, it was so well balanced and packed the panic factor with it.

On Xbox you have exclusives such as the Halo franchise, Gears.
On PS3 you have Dust514, which I still need to play. (I assume you already have a PS3 though)

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

On PS3 you have Dust514, which I still need to play. (I assume you already have a PS3 though)

dust514 would be the one reason wed buy ps3- I'm an eve online player though haven't had much time to play that lately, dust514 is tied to that.

no I haven't played ps3. We have a PS 1 and 2 (only bought the 2 second hand years ago for singstar Tongue). Except singstar I've never played them personally, though my other half has and he's played friends ps3. For me I don't see the need- I have an Xbox after all! I far prefer the Xbox controller. And its a case of my other half prefers Xbox, so that's what I'm accustomed to. We also use Xbox live a lot, and heard its better than psn. And we've never been huge Sony fans in general. Its just personal preference.

and I love borderlands 2, I'm not sure if its better than one they are both awesome imo, though I think the character abilities are better set up in 2. I do miss the sirens ability in 1 to disappear and take off out of harms way though and the healing while phasing was handy, I mean sure the assassin can kinda do that but your still able to take damage as the assassin and then you get knocked down with an unlucky shot or aoe shot.

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »

I assume if you were to get the bioshock series it will be on PC?

In that case, make sure you update your display drivers as there was a huge issue with lack of optimisation that they have since fixed for Infinite.
As for my opinion on Infinite, it was a really good ending in the sense that when you finish you need to sit there for a few minutes and think. Which I love in games, it was kind of similar to Donny Darko (great movie) in the sense that unless you think on it, you have no idea what is going on Smiley
I still think BS1 is the best of the series, it was so well balanced and packed the panic factor with it.

On Xbox you have exclusives such as the Halo franchise, Gears.

It would be on PS3, so I wouldn't have problems... haven't built a rig yet.

dust514 would be the one reason wed buy ps3- I'm an eve online player though haven't had much time to play that lately, dust514 is tied to that.

no I haven't played ps3. We have a PS 1 and 2 (only bought the 2 second hand years ago for singstar Tongue). Except singstar I've never played them personally, though my other half has and he's played friends ps3. For me I don't see the need- I have an Xbox after all! I far prefer the Xbox controller. And its a case of my other half prefers Xbox, so that's what I'm accustomed to. We also use Xbox live a lot, and heard its better than psn. And we've never been huge Sony fans in general. Its just personal preference.

and I love borderlands 2, I'm not sure if its better than one they are both awesome imo, though I think the character abilities are better set up in 2. I do miss the sirens ability in 1 to disappear and take off out of harms way though and the healing while phasing was handy, I mean sure the assassin can kinda do that but your still able to take damage as the assassin and then you get knocked down with an unlucky shot or aoe shot.

I tried the demo for 514. I hated it, personally. Even if it is good, it wouldn't be worth it to buy a whole new system.

I don't have BL2 yet. I played it at a friend's house and it's kinda... well... "You know, in the first game, there was this legendary vault and all that... well, in this game, there's a BIGGER vault! Oh, and guess what's in this bigger vault? Another boss!" Obviously there's more to it than that, but hopefully it was setting up for something awesome in BL3.

Live is one of the main reasons I didn't get a 360. PSN is free and, from my experiences, better.

no

Aurentis
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »

Different strokes, I suppose.  They're both pretty bad services defined by their respective userbase; Xbox Live has 12-year-olds that scream into the mic and string obscenities together poorly, and PSN has older people that do it.  By and large, the only real difference is what pitch you prefer to endure while having racial slurs thrown at you.
My credit card information has never been stolen off of Xbox Live, though.  And no, Sony will never live that down.

Exclusives just don't do it for me.  I was immensely bored by LittleBigPlanet and its sequel.  Gameplay-wise, inFamous struck me as The Force Unleashed without lightsabers (to say nothing of the story).  Since Kojima's games are pretty much movies, I was okay with Youtubing all of MGS4.  And, to be honest, I...  kind of started disliking Disgaea with 2.  Undecided
If they do it for you, then hey, that's cool -- they just don't work for me.  It may be related to the fact that when I worked at EB/Game Stop, the different reps we had to deal with around big releases were pretty much insufferable, but even before that I was just turned off by post-2000 exclusive titles.

It's funny that you mention Donnie Darko, mcnaughton.  That's the exact thing my friends and I turned to after beating Bioshock Infinite.  The only difference is none of us like that, either.  Wink

Right about now, I realize I sound like an unbearable hater.  My apologies for that.  To be honest, I haven't been a big console gamer lately, since all of my 360 games were stolen and most of what I've wanted to play has come out on PC anyway.  So, take anything I say with a few grains of salt.

Emotion, yet peace.

Crimson Reaper: SRD
Shock LE Staff: DVA/AS
Aeon v3: CG [Stunt]

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:13 PM »

It's funny that you mention Donnie Darko, mcnaughton.  That's the exact thing my friends and I turned to after beating Bioshock Infinite.  The only difference is none of us like that, either.  Wink

You just made me feel like Obi-Wan when Alderaan gets destroyed...

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 01:06:14 AM »

Different strokes, I suppose.  They're both pretty bad services defined by their respective userbase; Xbox Live has 12-year-olds that scream into the mic and string obscenities together poorly, and PSN has older people that do it.  By and large, the only real difference is what pitch you prefer to endure while having racial slurs thrown at you.
My credit card information has never been stolen off of Xbox Live, though.  And no, Sony will never live that down.

Exclusives just don't do it for me.  I was immensely bored by LittleBigPlanet and its sequel.  Gameplay-wise, inFamous struck me as The Force Unleashed without lightsabers (to say nothing of the story).  Since Kojima's games are pretty much movies, I was okay with Youtubing all of MGS4.  And, to be honest, I...  kind of started disliking Disgaea with 2.  Undecided
If they do it for you, then hey, that's cool -- they just don't work for me.  It may be related to the fact that when I worked at EB/Game Stop, the different reps we had to deal with around big releases were pretty much insufferable, but even before that I was just turned off by post-2000 exclusive titles.

It's funny that you mention Donnie Darko, mcnaughton.  That's the exact thing my friends and I turned to after beating Bioshock Infinite.  The only difference is none of us like that, either.  Wink

Right about now, I realize I sound like an unbearable hater.  My apologies for that.  To be honest, I haven't been a big console gamer lately, since all of my 360 games were stolen and most of what I've wanted to play has come out on PC anyway.  So, take anything I say with a few grains of salt.

All good points. Like I mentioned earlier, I seldom play games online... if I do, it's with people I know or in games that few people play (so only the decent players remain). I still haven't bought anything from the PS Store or given them my credit card number, but even I know that they'll never be allowed to forget that.

I pretty much agree with what you said about the exclusives, with the exception of Disgaea. InFamous and MGS4 are overrated, IMO.

Anyway... I think I'll be getting the first two Bioshock games, along with another older game (or two, depending on whether or not I can find good games for very low prices). I'll wait until the hype dies down before I get Infinite.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:10:41 AM by Luna » Logged

no

Aurentis
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 02:36:20 AM »

I think they know they shouldn't forget it, despite how much they try to "hide it in the ball pit" in the public eye, so to speak.  You are wiser for not having used the PSN Store, friend.

I think waiting a sound move on your part -- giving the hype and price time to subside is a good call.  My friend Redboxed it, so he didn't pay more than a few bucks to rent it; that's also an option, if you find you absolutely have to play it after the first two.   Smiley

Emotion, yet peace.

Crimson Reaper: SRD
Shock LE Staff: DVA/AS
Aeon v3: CG [Stunt]

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 04:13:05 AM »

did you play BL2 it all the way through? or just start it? or just run through the main storyline and not worry about the side missions? if you havent played it all the way through, then you should give it a chance, and if you dont play the side missions you miss out on a lot of the fun..

Sure, there's 4main vault hunters to start (now there's 6 though, the other two you have to buy access to), similar roles to the first- but they are different characters and the abilities are different.
the overall storyline is finding the next vault- but that ends up being almost like a side story really, if you haven't played it then I won't go into it much, but the storyline is more about defeating Hyperion. There's new enemys as well as old, new allies and friends as well as old, and for the most part you are in completely different areas of Pandora. And there's new things to do and find as you go along.
and the guns! They got ride of a couple of classes by combining them with other classes which works well imo, and the sheer number and combination! Also I found in 1 often once you got a bit higher up you found 1 or two guns that suited how you play, and all you did was upgrade them. In 2, I find you often need to have certain guns to suit certain situations, so you'll often cycle through all four gun slots- and sometimes to a few sitting in your backpack. Makes the game play more interesting. And you don't feel quite so limited by your class to choose your gun type (though if you take the assassins sniper line funnily enough a sniper is very handy!)- moreso its the kind of damage the gun does and how it does it (accuracy vs rate of fire vs damage per shot vs ammo used vs magazine size). And of course they continue all the funny bits and quirks of the first- think of a movie and they've probly managed to make a reference to it! Even one of the challenges is called 'thats impossible. Even for a computer- land a grenade in the refinery's exhaust port' Tongue
so it ends up being a really good sequel imo, it continues the storyline of the first really well, but coz theres different characters different abilities, different plot, different side missions, and enough small changes, it works as a game in itself. you could play it without playing the first, having played the first just makes it more understandable, and makes it more fun when suddenly ha! that characters turned up here! or ha! did something like than in 1!

and the multiplayer on it is pretty damn amazing, never seen a game work as seamlessly as it does! it is sooo easy to change characters and jump into a game with your friend for a bit, then jump out and play your own! or have your friend jump into your game to trade stuff or help you through a certain bit then off they go again! no stuffing around! we ended up getting two copies so that we could both play on separate xboxes and screens- im not a fan of split screen in BL, the side by side doesnt leave a lot of room.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 04:24:37 AM by B1ondeange1 » Logged

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 05:11:03 AM »

I think they know they shouldn't forget it, despite how much they try to "hide it in the ball pit" in the public eye, so to speak.  You are wiser for not having used the PSN Store, friend.

Agreed, and thanks.

Some people called me paranoid for not giving up the credit card number.

Never again.

I think waiting a sound move on your part -- giving the hype and price time to subside is a good call.  My friend Redboxed it, so he didn't pay more than a few bucks to rent it; that's also an option, if you find you absolutely have to play it after the first two.   Smiley

Thanks again. As is usual right after a big release, reviews and opinions are extremely polar: 10/10 or 1/10, basically. Waiting for the hype to end will hopefully allow me to decide what it's worth (and therefore how much longer to wait) and will give me time to enjoy the first two.

did you play BL2 it all the way through? or just start it? or just run through the main storyline and not worry about the side missions? if you havent played it all the way through, then you should give it a chance, and if you dont play the side missions you miss out on a lot of the fun..

Sure, there's 4main vault hunters to start (now there's 6 though, the other two you have to buy access to), similar roles to the first- but they are different characters and the abilities are different.
the overall storyline is finding the next vault- but that ends up being almost like a side story really, if you haven't played it then I won't go into it much, but the storyline is more about defeating Hyperion. There's new enemys as well as old, new allies and friends as well as old, and for the most part you are in completely different areas of Pandora. And there's new things to do and find as you go along.
and the guns! They got ride of a couple of classes by combining them with other classes which works well imo, and the sheer number and combination! Also I found in 1 often once you got a bit higher up you found 1 or two guns that suited how you play, and all you did was upgrade them. In 2, I find you often need to have certain guns to suit certain situations, so you'll often cycle through all four gun slots- and sometimes to a few sitting in your backpack. Makes the game play more interesting. And you don't feel quite so limited by your class to choose your gun type (though if you take the assassins sniper line funnily enough a sniper is very handy!)- moreso its the kind of damage the gun does and how it does it (accuracy vs rate of fire vs damage per shot vs ammo used vs magazine size). And of course they continue all the funny bits and quirks of the first- think of a movie and they've probly managed to make a reference to it! Even one of the challenges is called 'thats impossible. Even for a computer- land a grenade in the refinery's exhaust port' Tongue
so it ends up being a really good sequel imo, it continues the storyline of the first really well, but coz theres different characters different abilities, different plot, different side missions, and enough small changes, it works as a game in itself. you could play it without playing the first, having played the first just makes it more understandable, and makes it more fun when suddenly ha! that characters turned up here! or ha! did something like than in 1!

and the multiplayer on it is pretty damn amazing, never seen a game work as seamlessly as it does! it is sooo easy to change characters and jump into a game with your friend for a bit, then jump out and play your own! or have your friend jump into your game to trade stuff or help you through a certain bit then off they go again! no stuffing around! we ended up getting two copies so that we could both play on separate xboxes and screens- im not a fan of split screen in BL, the side by side doesnt leave a lot of room.

I played through the whole campaign. My friend bought it and we made a plan - when I was there we would play through main plot-related missions and when I wasn't there he would play through all the side stuff. The plan fell apart since it became unnecessary when I went over to his house for a weekend and we played through the whole thing, although we did pick and choose which side missions to do. I just couldn't get into it like I did with BL1.

In 2, I find you often need to have certain guns to suit certain situations, so you'll often cycle through all four gun slots- and sometimes to a few sitting in your backpack.

It isn't necessary, but I hoard guns in BL1. I get sentimental... for example, I used the Lady Finger until I was level 30, even though I always had some vastly superior pistols in my backpack by that point. I cycle through my gun slots so often that gameplay ends up being very strategic... if there's a mob of different enemies, I'll take out certain ones with certain guns for maximum efficiency, sometimes taking a minute or more to make a decision on which gun to use to kill a fairly weak enemy. Of course, I didn't start out playing that way, but it's second nature now.

I'll wait until BL2 is around $25 new, then enjoy the Sith out of it. Even though I don't like it as much as its predecessor, it's still good.

Then again, if there's a Zombie Island-style DLC for it, everything will change... I'll drive as fast as the nearest vehicle allows to the closest store, leap through the glass, grab the game, sprint out while throwing ten $100 bills on the counter, drive home as quickly as I left, and never be seen by society again.

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »

Then again, if there's a Zombie Island-style DLC for it, everything will change... I'll drive as fast as the nearest vehicle allows to the closest store, leap through the glass, grab the game, sprint out while throwing ten $100 bills on the counter, drive home as quickly as I left, and never be seen by society again.

Dafuq did I just read.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: