Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 6082 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« on: April 20, 2013, 03:20:45 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1483013/

Hard science fiction...just a clean, good, rich movie.

If you like science fiction...go see it.

The few small issues are small, not worth mentioning...what is worth noting, it is entertaining and visually stunning...good stuff.

Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:19:13 AM »

On a whim, I did a Google Image search for Oblivion.

First results:

Wink

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:28:27 AM »

Wink

Hmm...

Grin

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:47:36 AM »

Hmm...

Grin

Why isn't it showing up? Is something wrong on my end?

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »

Why isn't it showing up? Is something wrong on my end?

Maybe. I can see it.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:37:04 AM »

I'm pumped for this movie, but I'm one of the few that haven't disowned Cruise since he came out as being a member of a non major religion.
Loved him in Collateral and he has been great in so many movies.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 06:26:38 AM »

Maybe. I can see it.

This is all I'm seeing.

Same thing that happened to your old sig.

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:35:39 AM »

I'll PM you.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

I'm pumped for this movie, but I'm one of the few that haven't disowned Cruise since he came out as being a member of a non major religion.
Loved him in Collateral and he has been great in so many movies.

Yay, on topic!

Yes indeed I am with you.  He has done many good movies and this is another...it is mature, exciting, and interesting...all around good times for all!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »

MJ and I will be seeing this tomorrow; the theater is $5 for any movie, any time on Sunday.

Side note, more people should give their opinions on movies that they have recently gone and seen. Movie critics are TOO opinionated and really deter people from having a good time.

When you all say that something is good, I'll give it a try because you are of like mind. (Just like Hobbie turned me around to the Japanese version of Power Rangers.)

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »

MJ and I will be seeing this tomorrow; the theater is $5 for any movie, any time on Sunday.

Side note, more people should give their opinions on movies that they have recently gone and seen. Movie critics are TOO opinionated and really deter people from having a good time.

When you all say that something is good, I'll give it a try because you are of like mind. (Just like Hobbie turned me around to the Japanese version of Power Rangers.)

I agree. I think that Seananners said it best: If you have fun, then that is all that matters (or something along those lines, also, he was talking about video games, but whatever). Ultimately, its up to you to decide, because we all see things differently. Even when we agree, we may also disagree.

Also, score! Grin

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 06:54:44 AM »

I thought Oblivion was ok, with two fairly major flaws....  On the one hand, I know people who will like this movie.  My friends and I found it decently entertaining, but disappointing.  Honestly, I would suggest waiting for it to get to your local second run theater.

Without being too spoilery, here's why:

The good: it was a very beautiful looking film with some cool designs.  The destroyed moon in the sky is beautiful.  The technology is cool.  Decent actors.  Lots of smaller twists that make sense for how the plot progresses.  It has a good atmosphere and I generally like how the story unfolded.  Overall it was fairly entertaining.  The plot was pretty good.

The bad: it feels like every single plot point has been done before.  It feels like a mashup of Minority Report, Wall-E, 2001 Space Odyssey, Book of Eli, Solaris, and several other major sci-fi movies of the last few decades.  You may not be expecting the twists, but once they happen you know exactly how they're going to play out if you've watched a decent number of movies or spent any amount of time on TV Tropes.

The unforgivable: It's 2013, and both women in the movie have no significance other than their relationships with Tom Cruise.  Neither has any sort of characterization.  In the end, this does make some sense for Victoria (which I won't spoil), but Julia should NOT be like this.  The woman is an astronaut, and she freezes up when they are in danger???  FIRE THE FREAKING GUN!   Once is forgivable, and even her not speaking up when she could have explained a few things could be chalked up to uncertainty, but...character development should have required some growth out of her.  Or, talking.  She makes a move toward doing something, then reverses and lets a man save her.  Even when she's holding a fire-able gun.  Gah.  All I want is a sci-fi movie with women who act like real human beings, for once.

Good effects, interesting story, but weak characterization for anyone not played by Tom Cruise or Morgan Freeman.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »

Interesting review.

I will not give up details of the movie but I will say that the movie does focus on the main character, Tom Crusie's, but that is the format of this style of movie.

There are supposed to be two people left, on Earth, a fair chunk of the movie is about those two with a fair amount towards the technician who in job comparison gets to fly the ship and fix the machines...easier to make exciting for a movie maker.

Could the lead character have been a female role instead?  Surely.

But it was not.

Sorry.

The movie is a Tom vehicle.  I found it to be good, good enough to watch in the theater.  I found the females to be strong and relatable.

Such is life.

Hopefully others will watch it so more hard science movies are made instead of falling back on science fantasy just to sell tickets  Sad

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »

While I think Cruise is a nutjob in real life, I can't argue that he's a phenomenal actor.  I haven't seen Oblivion yet, as I generally wait for most films to hit 2nd run or Netflix, but I think it looks really good and I do plan on seeing it.

Side note: Kham, would you (or anyone else) be against me posting my thoughts on movies like 3 months after release since I don't usually go to the theater?  The most recent movie I've seen was The Hunger Games.  I'm that far behind.  lol.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »

Side note: Kham, would you (or anyone else) be against me posting my thoughts on movies like 3 months after release since I don't usually go to the theater?  The most recent movie I've seen was The Hunger Games.  I'm that far behind.  lol.

Hehe, the most recent movie I've seen was The Hobbit Grin Which is kind of ironic, I suppose. Oh, and no, I would not be against that. I would personally love to read your thoughts on movies.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: