Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Oblivion  (Read 6037 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 06:54:46 PM »

While I think Cruise is a nutjob in real life, I can't argue that he's a phenomenal actor.  I haven't seen Oblivion yet, as I generally wait for most films to hit 2nd run or Netflix, but I think it looks really good and I do plan on seeing it.

Side note: Kham, would you (or anyone else) be against me posting my thoughts on movies like 3 months after release since I don't usually go to the theater?  The most recent movie I've seen was The Hunger Games.  I'm that far behind.  lol.

Yeah, go for it. Things like that really spark discussion.

Keep it nice though. Wink

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 03:25:11 AM »

Interesting review.

I will not give up details of the movie but I will say that the movie does focus on the main character, Tom Crusie's, but that is the format of this style of movie.

There are supposed to be two people left, on Earth, a fair chunk of the movie is about those two with a fair amount towards the technician who in job comparison gets to fly the ship and fix the machines...easier to make exciting for a movie maker.

Could the lead character have been a female role instead?  Surely.

But it was not.

Sorry.

The movie is a Tom vehicle.  I found it to be good, good enough to watch in the theater.  I found the females to be strong and relatable.

Such is life.

Hopefully others will watch it so more hard science movies are made instead of falling back on science fantasy just to sell tickets  Sad

Oh yes, this movie definitely is a Tom Cruise vehicle, and that's perfectly fine.  I just wish Julia had been less passive, or had shown some character growth or real initiative.  I found her frustratingly passive and weak overall, when she really didn't need to be.  She has a few moments of strength, but they are overshadowed by her overwhelming passiveness for me.

I would be more likely to give this movie a pass on that score if it wasn't such a common problem.  After all, 3 out of the 7 people with speaking parts are women, and that's at least a decent ratio.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 02:59:52 AM »

I saw the movie with my wife on Sunday, and I loved it. Cruise gave an outstanding performance and the visuals were stunning. I would recomend it to anyone who wants to go see an entertaining movie with at least a moderatley deep plot.

Now if I were to put on the overly critical reviewer hat, there are plenty of flaws with this movie. The plot while fairly deep and full seemed to pull from the genre instead of adding to it. Most of the major ideas had been done by other films, but all the pieces fit together almost seamlessly.

Cruise was great a Jack and for the most part this movie was a character study of Jack, but alot of the secondary characters were underdeveloped. I though Victoria was a strong character, possessing a will and a drive that equaled Jack's in a different direction. Other then that there wasn't much out there as far as characters, but there didn't need to be.

All in all I'd give it a solid B, it has flaws that keep it out of the great movie category but now a days simply finding a good movie is hard.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 03:33:44 PM »

Well, you guys piqued my curiosity. I went to see it on Saturday.

I thought it was great. The ending was a little meh, but up until that point the plot was good. I did see what people were talking about with the lack of character development for anybody but Jack (Tom Cruise), but I still found that they did a decent job of it. It is, in the end, a movie about Jack. If they'd tried to give each character complex development, the movie would've been five hours long and utterly boring.

If I had to rate Oblivion, I'd give it 8-9/10, for above-average acting, spectacular visuals, and a satisfactory plot.

Go see it right now.

no

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:17:55 PM »

I saw the movie and thought it was amazing. Probably about the best Cruise movie. THE best. Lol. The acting was great especially from Morgan Freeman but that's given from him. He's also amazing. I'll have to wait until Olympus Has Fallen to come out and see it. I'm just a big Freeman fan.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

My crush and I are going to see it sometime this week.

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »

Excellent movie.

4 out of 5 from me.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

Saw it. Great date movie, but I missed the first ten minutes so what happens there?

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »

Saw it. Great date movie, but I missed the first ten minutes so what happens there?

Yay!  Great date!

The first ten minutes...hmmm...without revealing the details too much...we are introduced to the setting...how the war started, the battles, the end result of humans leaving Earth, only the two of them are left to finish the clean-up efforts.

Basically that is it  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: