Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Just finished the Revan novel  (Read 4965 times)
jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 153

Saber Tinkerer

« on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:51 AM »

HOLY CRAP!

Loved this book. I would really like to see it as a stand alone film Cool

Im assuming others have read it too, what do you guys think?

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »

Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever heard that response to this novel. It may be one of the most widely panned EU novels out there.

I however did like it, for the most part. Oddly I thought the Revan parts were the weak link, but I absolutely loved Scourge and the Sith Emperors backstory was a strong point as well. I though on the Imperial side it added a lot to the EU.

I think most people did not like it due to their love of Revan and the novels less then favorable resolution to his storyline.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 04:47:46 AM »

Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever heard that response to this novel. It may be one of the most widely panned EU novels out there.

Same here....

I think most people did not like it due to their love of Revan and the novels less then favorable resolution to his storyline.

It wasn't that (or at least I haven't seen anyone say that). It was the poor writing, for which the author himself apologized/made excuses.

I dislike Revan in the first place, so I wasn't really excited for it, but it failed to meet my low standards. I give it a 3/10.

Personally, I think the hype killed it. Glad someone enjoyed it, though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:51:49 AM by Luna » Logged

no

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:39 AM »

I wasn't so bothered by the ending and the state that Revan was left in, but I do think the final confrontation could have been more of a battle.

I was more focused on Revan's quest in uncovering his hidden past and liked how he started to piece everything together, And I liked how Scourge took up an alliance with Revan and Meetra (though that kinda changed at the end lol).

I really enjoyed the smaller parts to, like Canderous Ordo and the Mandos and the significance of Mandalore's mask

I just thought it was really good all around, and I suppose if I was more of a hardcore Revan fan I wouldnt have the same opinion, but to each their own.

Same here....

It wasn't that (or at least I haven't seen anyone say that). It was the poor writing, for which the author himself apologized/made excuses. I give it a 3/10.

Hmm... interesting. Well looks like im the lone wolf on this one lol.

Oh well, it was a fun read

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »

It wasn't that (or at least I haven't seen anyone say that). It was the poor writing, for which the author himself apologized/made excuses.

I dislike Revan in the first place, so I wasn't really excited for it, but it failed to meet my low standards. I give it a 3/10.

I actually like the writing, well have the writing, it was almost two different books that met at the end. The Revan storyline which was poorly writen and the Imperial/Sith storyline which I though was quite well done.
Still no matter how bad the writing was nothing could be worse the The Force Unleashed II.

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:08:42 AM »

Still no matter how bad the writing was nothing could be worse the The Force Unleashed II.

Agreed. Well, except for The Crystal Star. They're pretty much tied.

no

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 05:20:25 AM »

Agreed. Well, except for The Crystal Star. They're pretty much tied.
Haven't read The Crystal Star yet, for that matter can't say I've read The Forced Unleashed II yet, after several tries, I never got more then half way through. It was just. So, so very, very bad.
I was disappointed in the first, it took the decent storyline of the game and somehow dumbed it down instead of expanding it, I had high hopes for the novelisation but they were shattered.

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »

I actually like the writing, well have the writing, it was almost two different books that met at the end. The Revan storyline which was poorly writen and the Imperial/Sith storyline which I though was quite well done.

Ill take your warning and stay far away from that one then lol

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »

Wait... someone actually liked this book? Undecided

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »

I liked it, it filled some backstory, it gave more insight into cool supporting characters like Canderous Ordo (its well known i generally detest bucketheads with great vehemence, our own lucien kane being one of very very very few exceptions)

however i point out there are MANY worse books

The Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, The Crystal Shard too many Prequel Era novels to count.......oh and let us not forget Red Harvest and Death Troopers.

Just be thankful that we dont have the even larger plethora of bad writing that has plagued the Star Trek novels in the last 30 years.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

jmPlagueis
Knight Commander

Saber Tinkerer

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »

I liked it, it filled some backstory, it gave more insight into cool supporting characters like Canderous Ordo (its well known i generally detest bucketheads with great vehemence, our own lucien kane being one of very very very few exceptions)

however i point out there are MANY worse books

The Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, The Crystal Shard too many Prequel Era novels to count.......oh and let us not forget Red Harvest and Death Troopers.

Just be thankful that we dont have the even larger plethora of bad writing that has plagued the Star Trek novels in the last 30 years.

So im not the only one!

I just dont get whats so bad about it

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 01:22:01 AM »

The parts with the Sith were all right.  I found the rest of the book fairly bad (but also, keep in mind that in my mind, Revan should have been female or had no canon gender/appearance at all, so I may have been a bit biased to begin with).  It wasn't the worst Star Wars book I've read... but it's in the bottom five for me.  Smiley

At least the writing itself wasn't terrible.  Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Osseon reads like a NaNoWriMo novel scrambling to pad its word count by copying a thesaurus.  Grin

I'm glad someone enjoyed the book, though. Smiley

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »

I didn't find the Lando Calrissian novels that bad. Maybe the Russian translation is better than the original.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 27

I am a Jedi..but the Dark Side has the best toys!

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 06:31:52 AM »

I didn't think the book itself was bad at all. The part that I and many others struggle with is the fact that we had Revan head-cannoned as a woman. It could have been the most amazing Star Wars book ever, and I'd still find it weird. It also makes the thought of replaying KOTOR a little weird. I almost feel like I would have to have to play Revan as a man now.

My Sabers:
FO Aeon v2: DVA Prophecy v3; SY Consular; VA Nickle Monarch; AS Shock; BR Malishock, AB Graflex, PO Manticore FOC with Obsidian; CG Liberator AS FOC with Obsidian; and a GB Nickle Prophecy v3 with Obsidian

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »

I just picked up this book from my local book store, keen to start as I am a huge fan of the Old Republic era.

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: