Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Kathleen Kennedy: ‘Star Wars: Episode 7′ Won’t Be Very Secret  (Read 2443 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: April 27, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn30Dnm2w3o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn30Dnm2w3o</a>

Walt Disney Picture’s decision to buy Lucasfilm knocked the Internet’s collective socks off last year; however, the announcement that Kathleen Kennedy will usher in the new generation of Star Wars live-action movies, did not. After all, the eight-time Oscar-nominated producer has been instrumental to Steven Spielberg’s career for over three decades (going back to her days as an “associate” on 1941 and Raiders of the Lost Ark).

Kennedy proved her dedication to getting Star Wars: Episode VII right, after she devoted more than a month to simply buttering up J.J. Abrams (Star Trek Into Darkness) in order to secure him as director. The man prefers to keep fans out of the loop during production, be it on Cloverfield (which Abrams produced), both installments in the rebooted Star Trek continuity, or the sci-fi love letter Super 8; so, will the filming process for Episode VII be equally secretive?

Well, Screen Slam (hat tip to /Film) asked the Episode VII producer (and newly-appointed Lucasfilm president) that very question during an interview; Kennedy’s answer might surprise you:

“I think the whole issue of confidentiality is gonna be fascinating as we move into making the movie. If we’re shooting anything outside, it’s almost impossible to not have things end up on the Internet. So my feeling is, you need to embrace that, especially with the fans around something like Star Wars. You need to recognize they’re important to the process and acknowledge there are things you’re gonna want to make sure they get to know. So I think that’s something we’re going to monitor, pay attention to and think differently about.”

We’ve been able to document the filming process for major superhero blockbusters in recent years, thanks to the fans snapping photos and videos from the sidelines (which are then made available online). Directors Marc Webb and Bryan Singer are currently taking advantage of people’s interest in analyzing virtually every aspect of production on their forthcoming comic book movies, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past, by Tweeting various images from the set on a daily/weekly basis.

Hence, Kennedy is wise to recognize that embracing and, in fact, encouraging fans to be interested in watching principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII unfold from a distance, is the way to go. It’s just too difficult to control and monitor the flow of information online – something Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan learned the hard way while filming The Dark Knight Rises back in 2011 – and the sheer amount of Episode VII tie-in merchandise that will soon pour into stores, will make it even harder for Kennedy/Abrams to keep anything Star Wars related secret.

Besides, as Webb and Singer have realized, keeping your fans preoccupied actually helps to keep a lid on the really important elements of your film before they reach theaters; it also tempers the general public’s expectations for the final result to deliver mind-blowing surprises. That dangerous combination of too much buildup for a tentpole, coupled with not enough delivery to justify it all, is something that resulted in a pronounced fan backlash to Prometheus in 2012.

Benedict Cumberbatch as ‘John Harrison’ in ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’

Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness could prompt something of a similar response – an issue that was raised during the ’2013 Summer Movie Preview’ episode on the Screen Rant Underground Podcast – if the truth about the film’s narrative and the mysterious antagonist (played by Benedict Cumberbatch) prove disappointing, coming after so many interviews and trailers that have propped them up as being something truly brilliant and unanticipated.

That shouldn’t really affect box office ticket sales but, if that happens, then fans will be more than happy to voice their displeasure online (just ask Into Darkness and Prometheus co-writer Damon Lindelof about that). So, all in all, Abrams stands to save himself more than a few headaches by yielding to Kennedy and not trying to keep everything about Episode VII a secret (not to mention, how George Lucas has already let one cat out of the bag well ahead of production starting).

Star Wars: Episode VII opens in theaters in Summer 2015.

Source: http://screenrant.com/kathleen-kennedy-star-wars-episode-7-secret-production/

———
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:54:42 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »

Interesting.... most interesting.... Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »

Yes.... most interesting. I'll have to avoid most of the spoilers, which will be fun.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »

Yes.... most interesting. I'll have to avoid most of the spoilers, which will be fun.

Me too. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:38:21 PM »

And I like spoilers. Also have in mind that for every one accurate filming snoop, there are at least one fake rumor, Supershadow style. So guessing which is which will be fun.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 07:22:09 PM »

I might watch the trailer preview ONCE but that'll be it. I want to be surprised by the new movie. =] I don't think it'll completely blow though like some people are saying. I expect to be more action since that's what Disney is all about now days.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »

Okay, so based on the responses I'm seeing, I have to ask...

Do you guys want me to post news about the movie and regard any new news as potential spoilers?

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »

Do you guys want me to post news about the movie

No

and regard any new news as potential spoilers?

Yes.

Just my .02 though.   Grin

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »

Yes and Yes. Please. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

Yes and yes!! Grin

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: