Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy: David Tennant Rumored For Rocket Raccoon  (Read 745 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: May 07, 2013, 04:59:53 PM »

Chris Pratt is getting in superhero shape to lead the upcoming team of cosmic characters joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe next year in James Gunn’s Guardian of the Galaxy. Joining him will be a green-painted Zoe Saldana as Gamora and a knife-wielding Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer. With the non-animated core roster of characters revealed at last year’s Comic-Con now signed, and supporting roles starting to be filled, it’s soon time to find out who’s voicing the animated leads.

Gunn describes the soon-to-be-popular Rocket Raccoon as the “heart” of Guardians of the Galaxy and he hinted that he already had someone in mind. Could it be ex-Doctor Who star David Tennant?

The rumor that David Tennant will voice Rocket Raccoon comes from the Marvel Cinematic Universe Facebook fanpage, and understandably, with the sheer amount of false rumors in recent months about Iron Man 3, there were a lot of skeptical comments in response to the post to which the admin defended by claiming adamantly that his info is legit and exclusive.

While walking the red carpet at the London premiere of Iron Man 3 two weeks ago, Gunn spoke guardedly about the characters and cast of Guardians of the Galaxy, indicating that he already had someone in mind for Rocket.

“I think there’s – here’s the thing: there are a lot of people who have a lot of ideas of who is right for Rocket Raccoon  Rocket Raccoon has been slightly different over the years, in the comic books, and within my scripts he is a very, very specific guy, and I think people are going to have to wait for a few weeks before they see.”

As for the characters officially cast, Gunn spoke highly of his leading man Chris Pratt at the time as well, and on his Facebook page reiterated the sentiment over the weekend to fans curious about the decision to cast the Parks and Recreation star as the gun-toting Cosmic Avenger known as Star-Lord.

“Chris Pratt auditioned against A-list big-time movie stars for the most desired role around and Marvel was ballsy enough to back me when I wanted to hire him. I’ll love them forever for going with me on that. No other studio in the world would have ever taken that risk. Nor would any other studio in the world ever have hired me (or Joss Whedon, etc) to do this type of film. Same with the others. Anyone who has followed me for a while knows I either speak my mind or shut the f*ck up. I never say I love something if I don’t.”

Continuing his praise of Marvel Studios for supporting him and his casting decisions, Gunn added:

“And, to be completely frank, I’ve been way more pressured to cast “names” on nearly every independent film I’ve ever done.”

Fans will be very happy to hear that Marvel Studios is letting Gunn choose actors who best fit the role as opposed to going for the obvious “bankable” names. Marvel’s track record with stellar, yet unexpected casting dates back to 2007 when they let Jon Favreau hire Robert Downey Jr. for the now-world-recognized role of Tony Stark in Iron Man. They even turned Chris Hemsworth into a superstar thanks to Thor instead of going for rumored names like Brad Pitt years ago.

There are various incarnations of Rocket Raccoon in cartoons, comics and video games, but fans have been vocal here on Screen Rant about finding someone who can bring a Cockney accent to the character, or at least a good British one. Tennant speaks with an Estuary accent (more Southern England) in Doctor Who despite his Scottish heritage and is an obvious fan-favorite among the geek community. If the rumor is true, does he fit the bill?

Who will voice Groot? Early rumors at Marvel interested in Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey for something while rumors pointed towards Kevin Durand possibly being looked at for a role.

Guardians of the Galaxy is being rewritten and directed by James Gunn and begins shooting in London this summer. It will be released in 3D.

Iron Man 3 releases May 3, 2013, Thor: The Dark World on November 8, 2013, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014, The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015, Ant-Man on November 6, 2015, and Doctor Strange sometime after that.

Source: http://screenrant.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-rocket-raccoon-david-tennant/
___

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: