Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Photography Question  (Read 1678 times)
Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« on: May 11, 2013, 12:44:42 AM »

Hey. I use clear 100W light bulbs now because I just like them a lot better. and for pictures to show up good for lightsaber pictures woujld I use an ISO of 200 or 100? I usually use 400 for dark pictures. Thanks. =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Shaugi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -13

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »

The lower the ISO the lower the sensitivity to light.  So yes a 100 would be darker as the sensor is less sensitive.

I tend to use ISO 250 and vary the shutter speed to go darker. As shown below.
All 3 shots are ISO 250 and f/7.1 with shutter speeds of 1/8, 1/20 and 1/30 respectively.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »

It really depends on what you want your other settings to be. By lowering your ISO each step, you are halving the amount of light each time. You don't have to worry about noise at all with ISO settings of 200 or 100, so that isn't a concern here. Each of the camera settings (ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed) controls a different aspect of the shot. I'll try to explain what those aspects are as best as I can below.

Aperture
Aperture is responsible for Depth of Field (DOF), which is how much of your image is in focus. A small Aperture number (something like f/1.5) means a very small DOF, which means there is a very small range in your image that will be in focus. A larger Aperture number (something like f/22) means there is a very large DOF, which means almost all of your image will be in focus from front to back.

Here are some examples:

This first shot was shot with an Aperture of f/4.5

Notice how only the front bit is in focus and the rest of the image is completely blurry. Because of the small Aperture number, there is a smaller DOF which causes only a small plane within the image to be in focus.

In this image, an Aperture of f/5.6 was used

As you can see, more of the image is in focus when compared to the previous one because there is more DOF in this image.

Shutter Speed
Shutter Speed controls movement. A slow Shutter Speed (usually 1/10 or less) will show any movement that is going on in the shot. These kinds of shots would be light trails of traffic, light pantings with a saber, blurred water effects, etc. A faster Shutter Speed (usually 1/30 and above) will capture less movement and show a still image. This is good if you want to freeze movement, like at a sporting event. A couple examples are shown below.

This first image is of a squirrel that kept moving around, so I had to use a faster Shutter Speed to freeze its movement. A Shutter Speed of 1/640th of a second was used.

This second shot is one you may have seen already, where I am doing a light painting with a saber staff. A Shutter Speed of 10 seconds was used here.

As you can see, a longer Shutter Speed will capture more motion in a shot, while a shorter Shutter Speed will freeze motion to capture the moment.

ISO
ISO is responsible for the sensitivity of the camera sensor and is also responsible for what is known as "noise" in a shot. Noise is the graininess you see in some shots. An example would be in the shot of the chairs previously shown above. I intentionally introduced noise into that shot to give it an older antique feel to it, but generally it is to be avoided when possible. With the right software, you can control the noise of a shot after it is taken, but typically it is best to avoid it from the beginning by not using high ISO settings (usually around 800+).

Each setting will control a different aspect of the shot and each setting will affect how the other settings work, depending on what shooting mode you're using. You can achieve different effects by changing one or more of the settings, which gives you lots of flexibility with your shots.

Here is a chart I found that will help explain how the settings work to affect the lighting of a shot:

You can use the settings to adjust the lighting or to achieve certain effects you want (more DOF, show movement, intentional noise, etc.) As an example, let's say you currently have your Aperture set to f/8 and your Shutter Speed set to 1/30th of a second, while your ISO is set to 200. If you want a slightly darker picture, you have three options. You can either increase your Aperture setting to f/11, reduce your Shutter Speed to 1/60, or decrease your ISO to 100. All of these will give the same result, which would be half the amount of light. Depending on the lighting you are shooting in, you may want to do more than one to reduce the light even more. Of course if you wanted more light, you can always do the reverse and reduce your Aperture to f/5.6, increase your Shutter Speed to 1/15, or increase your ISO to 400.

These are just examples mind you, but the best way to learn is to just play around with the settings in different lighting situations and see how the settings work together to create different effects. When taking your shots, if you want more DOF, then you can adjust your Aperture setting for that. You may also have to adjust either your Shutter Speed, your ISO, or both in order to balance out the lighting for the shot. If you want to capture motion, then you can set your Shutter Speed first and adjust your other settings from there. This is all assuming you use Manual Mode of course. The way I go about taking a shot is to first think what effect I'm after and what is more important to me. Do I want only one part of the picture in focus? Do I want everything in focus? Do I care about capturing movement or freezing it? By asking these questions before taking a shot, you can then change your highest priority setting first and adjust the others from there to balance out the light. As I've said before though, a good rule of thumb is to avoid high ISO settings (800+) due to the amount of noise that can creep into your shots.

I'm sorry if this has become too long, but hopefully it has served its purpose in helping you understand how your other settings effect your ISO and how you can achieve specific lighting effects with them.

jonesy360
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 67

Addicted to ULTRASABERS

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »

brilliant V,thanks ,that helps me with some camerafu ,you just made it easier,oh and point

Bellicose,fo,sfoc,os,rav
Scorpion,br,sfoc,os,rav
Graflex ce,br,sfoc,obsoundrav
Reaper,cg,sfoc,obsoundbav
Aeon v3,gbstunt
Shock le,RGBsfoc,obsoundyav
Guardian,dva,bhfoc,obsoundgav
RavenSSRGBsfoc,obsoundsav
ArchonV2.1gb,bhfoc,obsoundsav jedi
ArchonV2.1as,sfoc,obsoundsav sith

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:42:37 AM »

Thanks v! Very handy, your like a camera wiz! Me if I can get a photo to work at all I'm happy, then I hope it'll work again haha. I might be able to work out settings now

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:53:13 PM »

My camera doesn't do fancy half speeds. It sucks. u.u Like 1/10 or something like that. I don't know why. Its a fancy FujiFilm camera. It does have the F setting though. Should I be in Shutter Speed option?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »

I'll have to give the short answer here because I'm on a phone, but yes you should use Shutter Priority mode if you don't have Manual Mode on your camera. If you reply to this with your camera's model, I'll look it up and tell you which setting to use.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:16:26 AM »

Fujifilm S4250 digital camera.

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 01:54:28 AM »

Ok, that camera does have a Manual Mode option. The dial on the top of the camera is where the modes are. The (M) is your Manual mode, which allows you to have control over all your settings (Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO). The (A) is your Aperture Priority mode, which allows you to set your Aperture value, while the camera chooses the Shutter Speed to balance for the lighting conditions. The (S) is your Shutter Priority mode, allowing you to set your Shutter Speed value and gives the camera control over your Aperture. Finally the (P) is Program mode, which gives the camera control over Shutter Speed and Aperture and only allows you to set your ISO. I believe you always have control over your ISO value, so the only difference between each mode is what setting(s) you are allowing the camera to control for you.

My recommendation is to always use Manual mode if you can, because you will then have control over all your settings and you'll be able to make incremental adjustments to specific settings without the camera changing anything for you. If you don't like Manual mode, then the next best thing to use is Shutter Priority (especially with photographing sabers). Shutter Priority will let you dial in a specific Shutter Speed and will only allow the camera to control your Aperture value. You should still be able to adjust your ISO setting to balance things out a bit. If you ever value Depth of Field over capturing stillness or movement, then Aperture Priority would be better to use. I would advise to stay away from Program mode altogether because you are smarter than your camera. 

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 01:58:57 AM »

I'll figure it out. I find a shutter speed of 1.5 to be good. That's how my shutter speeds work. Well, for shutter speed option. Then usually 3 or 5 for manual.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: