Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Star Wars Upcoming Books Discussion  (Read 4636 times)
DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -4

No Points Pls Balance of the Je'daii

« on: May 13, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

Instead of just making new thread all the time..

This doesn't come out until August, but I'm interested! JJ Miller is a good SW writer.

Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

RISE OF THE EMPIRE ERA
19 Years before Star Wars: A New Hope

Novel to be published in hardcover, eBook formats, and Audio Book on August 27, 2013.

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/227072/kenobi-star-wars-by-john-jackson-miller

The Republic has fallen.
Sith Lords rule the galaxy.
Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi has lost everything . . .
Everything but hope.

Tatooine—a harsh desert world where farmers toil in the heat of two suns while trying to protect themselves and their loved ones from the marauding Tusken Raiders. A backwater planet on the edge of civilized space. And an unlikely place to find a Jedi Master in hiding, or an orphaned infant boy on whose tiny shoulders rests the future of a galaxy.

Known to locals only as “Ben,” the bearded and robed offworlder is an enigmatic stranger who keeps to himself, shares nothing of his past, and goes to great pains to remain an outsider. But as tensions escalate between the farmers and a tribe of Sand People led by a ruthless war chief, Ben finds himself drawn into the fight, endangering the very mission that brought him to Tatooine.

Ben—Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, hero of the Clone Wars, traitor to the Empire, and protector of the galaxy’s last hope—can no more turn his back on evil than he can reject his Jedi training. And when blood is unjustly spilled, innocent lives threatened, and a ruthless opponent unmasked, Ben has no choice but to call on the wisdom of the Jedi—and the formidable power of the Force—in his never-ending fight for justice.

ALSO this looks great..

Razor's Edge: Star Wars (Empire and Rebellion)

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/225871/razors-edge-star-wars-empire-and-rebellion-by-martha-wells

the new novel from Martha Wells featuring Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, and Han Solo and set about two years after A New Hope is now scheduled to go on sale in hardcover, eBook, and audio on October 1 (previously October 15).

And Last but DEFINITELY not least.

On my birthday, July 9th..

Crucible by Troy Denning

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning/9780385362924/

Synopsis
Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, and Luke Skywalker return in an all-new Star Wars adventure, which will challenge them in ways they never expected—and forever alter their understanding of life and the Force.

When Han and Leia Solo arrive at Lando Calrissian’s Outer Rim mining operation to help him thwart a hostile takeover, their aim is just to even up the odds and lay down the law. Then monstrous aliens arrive with a message, and mere threats escalate into violent sabotage with mass fatalities. When the dust settles, what began as corporate warfare becomes a battle with much higher stakes—and far deadlier consequences.

Now Han, Leia, and Luke team up once again in a quest to defeat a dangerous adversary bent on galaxy-wide domination. Only this time, the Empire is not the enemy. It is a  pair of ruthless geniuses with a lethal ally and a lifelong vendetta against Han Solo. And when the murderous duo gets the drop on Han, he finds himself outgunned in the fight of his life. To save him, and the galaxy, Luke and Leia must brave a gauntlet of treachery, terrorism, and the untold power of an enigmatic artifact capable of bending space, time, and even the Force itself into an apocalyptic nightmare.

Troy Denning's upcoming new novel, STAR WARS: CRUCIBLE, will contain an excerpt from John Jackson Miller's upcoming book, STAR WARS: KENOBI. Look for CRUCIBLE on July 9 and KENOBI on August 27.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:14:19 PM by DarthJimmer » Logged

"At the heart of any poor soul not at one with the Force, there is only void" -Unknown Je'daii 2,545 TYA (Tho Yor Arrival)

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »

I dont think I'm going to read Death Troopers..not my cup of Tea, but this might be.

RISE OF THE EMPIRE ERA
32 Years before Star Wars: A New Hope

STAR WARS: DARTH MAUL: LOCKDOWN
Joe Schreiber

Novel will be published by Del Rey in hardcover and eBook formats on January 21, 2014.

From the mind of Joe Schreiber, New York Times bestselling author of Star Wars: Death Troopers, comes the delirious follow-up to last year's Darth Plagueis. In a tale of retribution and survival set before the events of The Phantom Menace, Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious dispatch Sith apprentice Darth Maul on a secret mission to infiltrate a criminal empire operating from inside Cog Hive Seven-a hidden prison teeming with the galaxy's most savage criminals. There, he must contend against the scummiest and most villainous in gladiatorial death matches while carrying out his masters' clandestine commands. Failure is not an option; success will ignite the revenge of the Sith against the Jedi Order.

This isn't a Novel, but I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. I don't own any of the three other books from the Star Wars: Art collection, but I really want to. This one looks like it might be the best though considering it has concept we haven't seen instead of just collecting all the best illustrations or general photos.

Star Wars Art: Concept
LucasFilm Ltd (Author), Ryan Church (Preface), Doug Chiang (Introduction), Erik Tiemens (Afterword), Joe Johnston (Foreword)

October 8, 2013

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Art-LucasFilm-Ltd/dp/1419708627/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368455224&sr=1-1&keywords=star+wars+concept

From Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston to Doug Chiang, Ryan Church, Iain McCaig, Erik Tiemens, and the next generation of animation and video-game artists, Star Wars Art: Concept collects, for the first time ever, the very best Star Wars conceptual artwork. As curated by George Lucas, the artwork that helped bring the Star Wars Saga to life is revealed in all its glory, featuring pre-production drawings and paintings from the Original Trilogy, the Prequel Trilogy, the TV shows, and the video games, including an exclusive preview of artwork from the highly anticipated 1313. Spanning the years from 1975 to the present, Star Wars Art: Concept is a fascinating look at the process of conceptual design. From pen and paint and paper to the digital realm, the result is the creation of breathtaking iconic worlds, vehicles, and characters that successive generations have embraced and made their own.

If I'm going to mention that, I guess I should mention that THIS comes out TOMORROW! haha It is the prequels though..

Star Wars Storyboards: The Prequel Trilogy by J.W. Rinzler

http://www.abramsbooks.com/Books/Star_Wars_Storyboards-9781419707728.html

In 1997, as George Lucas worked to complete early drafts for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, he enlisted the talents of some of the greatest storyboard artists of the modern era to illustrate conceptual storyboards that would inform the development of the final shooting script, as well as the finished film. Working from Lucas’s ideas for scenes and sequences, these artists produced beautiful drawings that helped lay the foundations for the worlds, characters, and shots of the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Together, these conceptual storyboards show early takes on favorite scenes; alternate, unused approaches to character designs and environments; and entirely different approaches to key moments. Like wordless comic books, they have an energy and rhythm all their own that is fascinating to explore.

Now, for the first time, Lucasfilm has opened its archives to present the best of the conceptual storyboards for Episodes I, II, and III. Star Wars Storyboards: The Prequel Trilogy collects the best storyboards from all three films together in one striking volume, along with relevant excerpts from the shooting scripts. Throughout this book, readers will find insight into how these conceptual storyboards helped to contribute both to the creation of the Prequel Trilogy and the expansion of the Star Wars universe.

J.W. is also doing this..

The Making of Return of the Jedi by J.W. Rinzler
October 1

Just as Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi completed the most successful cinematic trilogy of its generation, perhaps of all time, this splendid thirtieth-anniversary tribute completes New York Times bestselling author J. W. Rinzler’s trio of fascinating behind-the-scenes books celebrating George Lucas’s classic films.

Once again, the author’s unprecedented access to the formidable Lucasfilm Archives has yielded a mother lode of extremely informative, vastly entertaining, and often unexpected stories, anecdotes, recollections, and revelations straight from the closely guarded set of a big-screen blockbuster in the making. Brimming with previously unpublished photos, production artwork, script excerpts, exclusive intel, vintage on-set interviews, and present-day commentary, The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi chronicles “how George Lucas and his crew of extroverted artists, misfits, and expert craftspeople roused themselves to great heights for a third time” to create the next unforgettable chapter in one of the most beloved sagas of all time. Get up close to the action and feel like a studio insider as

• creator George Lucas, Oscar-nominated screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, and director Richard Marquand huddle in a script conference to debate the destinies of iconic Star Wars characters, as well as plot twists and turns for the epic final showdown between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire
• artists and craftspeople at the groundbreaking Industrial Light & Magic facility top their own revolutionary innovations—despite the infamous Black Friday—with boundary-pushing new analog visual effects
• a crack team of sculptors, puppeteers, actors, and “monster-makers” bring Jabba the Hutt and his cohorts to startling, slobbering life from the inside out
• a who’s who of heavyweight directors—from such films as Superman, Gremlins, Halloween, Dune, Scanners, and Time Bandits—are considered for the coveted job of bringing a new Star Wars adventure to the silver screen
• actors and crew race to the finish line at Elstree Studios, in a fiery desert, and beneath the trees of a dense redwood forest—before money runs out—to answer the questions that audiences had waited three years to find out: Is Darth Vader really Luke’s father, who is the “other”—and who or what is the Emperor?

Star Wars’ stars from both sides of the camera—including Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, David Prowse, Alec Guinness, director Richard Marquand, producer Howard Kazanjian, Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Dennis Muren, Phil Tippett, and mastermind George Lucas—weigh in with candid insights on everything from technical challenges, character design, Ewoks, the Empire’s galactic city planet, and the ultimate challenge of bringing the phenomenal space fantasy to a dramatic close. The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi gives a spectacular subject its just due, with more than five hundred images and many, many new interviews.

And Last on my list is:

This one is kind of silly, but could be interesting I guess.

William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher
July 2nd

May the verse be with you! Inspired by one of the greatest creative minds in the English language—and William Shakespeare—here is an officially licensed retelling of George Lucas’s epic Star Wars in the style of the immortal Bard of Avon.

The saga of a wise (Jedi) knight and an evil (Sith) lord, of a beautiful princess held captive and a young hero coming of age, Star Wars abounds with all the valor and villainy of Shakespeare’s greatest plays. Reimagined in glorious iambic pentameter, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars will astound and edify learners and masters alike. Zounds! This is the book you’re looking for.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:44:33 PM by DarthJimmer » Logged

"At the heart of any poor soul not at one with the Force, there is only void" -Unknown Je'daii 2,545 TYA (Tho Yor Arrival)

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »

I've been re-reading some of my Star Wars books here recently.  In the middle of the Corellian Trilogy right now, and planning to re-read the NJO stuff after.   Don't have a lot of time/money to put towards new books (or the old ones for that matter).

And Last but DEFINITELY not least.

On my birthday, July 9th..

Crucible by Troy Denning

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/7875/crucible-star-wars-by-troy-denning/9780385362924/

Synopsis
Han Solo, Leia Organa Solo, and Luke Skywalker return in an all-new Star Wars adventure, which will challenge them in ways they never expected—and forever alter their understanding of life and the Force.

When Han and Leia Solo arrive at Lando Calrissian’s Outer Rim mining operation to help him thwart a hostile takeover, their aim is just to even up the odds and lay down the law. Then monstrous aliens arrive with a message, and mere threats escalate into violent sabotage with mass fatalities. When the dust settles, what began as corporate warfare becomes a battle with much higher stakes—and far deadlier consequences.

Now Han, Leia, and Luke team up once again in a quest to defeat a dangerous adversary bent on galaxy-wide domination. Only this time, the Empire is not the enemy. It is a  pair of ruthless geniuses with a lethal ally and a lifelong vendetta against Han Solo. And when the murderous duo gets the drop on Han, he finds himself outgunned in the fight of his life. To save him, and the galaxy, Luke and Leia must brave a gauntlet of treachery, terrorism, and the untold power of an enigmatic artifact capable of bending space, time, and even the Force itself into an apocalyptic nightmare.

Troy Denning's upcoming new novel, STAR WARS: CRUCIBLE, will contain an excerpt from John Jackson Miller's upcoming book, STAR WARS: KENOBI. Look for CRUCIBLE on July 9 and KENOBI on August 27.

Nothing against them.  It sounds like a pretty cool book, but shouldn't Han/Leia/Luke have died of old age twice by now?   They ain't immortal after all.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »

I didnt even think of that..haha I'm not sure. I did a quick search and I cant find anyone questioning it.

Its 45 ABY, how old would that make them?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:23:21 PM by DarthJimmer » Logged

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »

That makes them in like their 70s right?

"Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."
―Newsarama.com reporting an interview with Troy Denning during the SDCC 2012

"Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They've earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden--but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive..."

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

That makes them in like their 70s right?

"Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."
―Newsarama.com reporting an interview with Troy Denning during the SDCC 2012

Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, and Princess Leia have spent a lifetime fighting wars, bringing the Jedi back from extinction, raising families, and saving the galaxy more times than they can count. They've earned the right to rest on their laurels and let the younger generation shoulder the burden--but fate has another adventure in store for our heroes, a quest only they can tackle and hope to survive...

Yea, they'd be early 70's I think.  Not ridiculously old, but still past their prime for sure.  What is it that only they can handle?  There's an emergency at the Senior Buffet?  Nobody under 55 allowed!  lol. 

Initiate v3 - Consular

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »

haha you got to admit thats a lot different then being dead twice over, instead of luke and leia being like 66 and han what? almost 70.

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »

haha you got to admit thats a lot different then being dead twice over, instead of luke and leia being like 66 and han what? almost 70.

True.  Very true.  I guess it just seems like they should be dead twice over by now.  lol. 

Anyway!  Back to the OT.  Books are cool.  Grin

Initiate v3 - Consular

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 06:53:59 PM »

I want the concept book to come out sooner, I really love that type of stuff. Does anyone know books that are out already that have concept art in them?

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »

Humans in the GFFA can expect to live longer and stay in shape much longer, too - vastly superior medical care, for a start. I believe that typical life expectancy is c. 100, making the trio in question the equivalent of early-mid 50s by our standard. Past their physical prime, perhaps, but plenty of experience - and two of them are Jedi, after all.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 10:43:07 PM »

Yea, they'd be early 70's I think.  Not ridiculously old, but still past their prime for sure.  What is it that only they can handle?  There's an emergency at the Senior Buffet?  Nobody under 55 allowed!  lol. 

AARP is cutting funding.

Grin

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

SOTJ
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

Serenity, the way of the Jedi is serenity.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 01:23:36 AM »

Nothing about the SOTJ trilogy? I'm disappointed Wink

Here's the full list, if anyone's interested: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_future_books

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »

Nothing about the SOTJ trilogy? I'm disappointed Wink

Here's the full list, if anyone's interested: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_future_books

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this (or something like it) was the subject of Episode VII. 

Initiate v3 - Consular

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »

I ALWAYS use Wookiepedia especially when it comes to the Timeline of the Books or whatever I need. But for some reason (I guess cause I was checking the latest news) I used the force.net's list, and they didn't go that far into the future. But Thank you, this is actually the first I've read about Sword Of The Jedi. So awesome, I've actually been looking for a book after FOTJ other the crucible, and this looks amazing.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:57:02 PM by DarthJimmer » Logged

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 10:46:19 PM »

I also tend to use the awesome facebook page "Star Wars Books' and that hasn't said anything yet. I'm guessing because its so far in the future. Now that I look at it, it's probably good I did. The force.net's (and this thread) includes way more suprisingly. I'm glad to have this info on SOTJ though.

"This book, the first in the Sword of the Jedi trilogy, will take place sometime after the conclusion of the Fate of the Jedi series and will be focused on Jedi Master Jaina Solo Fel and her husband Jagged Fel."

EDIT:

looks like the Star wars Books page has recently on Friday posted some news on it.

We’re thrilled to announce that FATE OF THE JEDI author Christie Golden has written a short story that will appear in Star Wars Insider Magazine #142. Titled “Good Hunting,” the adventure takes place between APOCALYPSE and CRUCIBLE, and will feature Jaina Solo, Tenel Ka, and Allana Solo on a hostile wilderness planet. The always solid Joe Corroney will be providing artwork. Expect some Sword of the Jedi bad-assery when the issue goes on-sale June 11.

Clarification: The Allana/Anji artwork accompanying the announcement was created by Brian Rood for THE ESSENTIAL READER'S COMPANION, not Joe Corroney. Rest assured, Anji will co-star in "Good Hunting."
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:57:24 PM by DarthJimmer » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: