Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Silly Question About The Old Republic ..  (Read 16248 times)
Darth Antricus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -23

« on: May 19, 2013, 01:36:42 AM »

I probably just need confirmation on what I'm guessing is the case.  Based on what I've seen of The Old Republic game, it's supposed to be based long before the events of the 6 existing SW movies, correct?  And it's just the unspoken case of the technology & whatnot being more advance the further back in time they go, hence them having the droids, clone/storm trooper uniforms, etc.  Is this thinking correct?

Tsurabisu
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -45

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:17:19 AM »

I've wondered that, too, and the conclusion I've come to is that they've pretty much hit a roof on their tech abilities. SWTOR takes place about three thousand years before Ep 1, and they have most of the same tech, even when it comes to droids. Though, there are a few upgrades when it comes to ships. Size wise, they get bigger in the new ones (Sith Dreadnaughts compared to Imperial Star Destroyers, Super Star Destroyer)

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »

As Tsurabisu said, it is based ~3500 years before the films. That said, as far as I am aware (and feel free to correct me on this, it is partly assumption) it is the same Republic so the ever so slight variations in the armour could just be a "This is a tribute to those of the old" type thing.

As for technology, I haven't seen any that is more advanced than that in the Prequels. It all seems relatively the same (excluding the super weapon prototypes like the Planet Prison, which can then lead back to KoTOR 2 and the mass shadow generator).

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:19:11 PM »

Many people wonder about the technology in the different eras of the the Star Wars universe. The way it was explained to me, and makes fairly good sense IMO, is that at the time of Ep IV - VI, the ships, droids, uniforms, etc. are old and outdated due to the Empire. The Republic made due with what they had as they had spent many years in hiding and couldn't risk public exposure for new equipment and repairs.

As for The Old Republic era, take into consideration the amount of species present. Each species has their own technology that they bring to the table of whatever faction they support. No one side is hiding from the other and has safe havens for repairs, purchases, as well as bartering with other planets. The addition of the Gree Enclave also brings in wonderous technology to both sides.

In between each era, the various factions can have ups and downs depending on which side was on the winning end. With that, the equipment and technology would suffer.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Darth Antricus
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -23

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:11:20 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  That was my general understanding.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:37 AM »

Think about it... The galaxy was brought "black magic" technology from the Rakatan empire. Jedi would not have lightsabers, hyperspace would be non existent... Etcetera. The Infinite empire really shaped the SW galaxy as we know it. It was a huge leap, and huge leaps don't happen every millennia.

Shaugi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -13

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »

Think about it... The galaxy was brought "black magic" technology from the Rakatan empire. Jedi would not have lightsabers, hyperspace would be non existent... Etcetera. The Infinite empire really shaped the SW galaxy as we know it. It was a huge leap, and huge leaps don't happen every millennia.

I agree...except for the saber bit.

Hyperdrive were inded reverse engineered from tech found from the Infinite Empire.
Sabers however were developed from the force forged weapons used on Tython by the first 'force-users'.

mcnaughtonM
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -41

[Darkside points only]

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »

Sabers however were developed from the force forged weapons used on Tython by the first 'force-users'.

However, they were based off of the Forcesaber which was developed by the Rakatan empire.

Inventory:
- Prophecy in CG
- Dark Liberator in CG (gb)
- Shock in BR (Silver FOC)
- Dominix LE in BR
Wishlist:
- Graflex in GB
- Raven in BR
- Reaper in BR

clericazrael
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 22

Defiantly Onward Into Uttermost Darkness

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 01:56:27 AM »

Also, think of how many backsteps things have probably taken due to the massive, galactic wars that go on. Think of the crusades, technology in the Middle East was FLOURISHING at the time of the crusades...and perhaps that single collection of events set Middle Eastern technology and culture back...how far? Think of that on a galactic scale, multiple Jedi-Sith Wars, Sith-Republic Wars, Republic-Empire Wars...I'm sure that's gotta cause things to at least stagnate if not regress.

GB Dominix V3 - Guest Saber
PO Initiate V3 - Girlfriend's Saber
AS Dominix V2 - Defiance/Personal Saber

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »

those battledroids did look big and klunky compaired to clone wars droidekkas tho. and they diddn't even have shield generators or armadillo action.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »

Also, think of how many backsteps things have probably taken due to the massive, galactic wars that go on. Think of the crusades, technology in the Middle East was FLOURISHING at the time of the crusades...and perhaps that single collection of events set Middle Eastern technology and culture back...how far? Think of that on a galactic scale, multiple Jedi-Sith Wars, Sith-Republic Wars, Republic-Empire Wars...I'm sure that's gotta cause things to at least stagnate if not regress.

This is a misconception; during war, technology leaps forwards to accommodate for the need to outdo the enemy. In Earth's history, the greatest technological advances were based off militarist needs and demands. The Internet itself was built in order for the army to share information, even after a nuclear attack.

I think the thing you have to realise is that the tech of eps I-VI are only a sliver of what is actually present in the entire SW universe. The reason things look so much more advanced in the Old Republic is because that's what the player wants, they want to see all the galaxy has to offer, where as the movies were telling a story.

The Old Republic was a period of expansionism and galactic exploration, there is a techno-boom, stuff is new and its flashy, people were explorers or settlers and needed to buy the best survival gear to carve their niche in a foreign world.
In the Rise of the Empire era, that stuff would be mundane and "old-world", there was no more exploration and people lived lives much like they do on Earth, where you don't need the gigantic battle stations, and lasers, and survival gear, and such.

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »

excellent point. you get a point next time i see you. do you like dark or light?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »

excellent point. you get a point next time i see you. do you like dark or light?
Apparently people see me as light, but I'm not fussed. Since you're dark, you can give me dark

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: