Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: The TRUE Dark side  (Read 7440 times)
Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« on: May 25, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »

Hmmmm, hard to talk about, this is. I'm just wondering if our force alignment in something fantasy like Star Wars is a reflection of our bigger outlook on life. Essentially, those aligned to the Light are generally calmer, happier, more bubbly and positive people, while those aligned to the Dark Side have a darker, angrier, more sorrowful view; and in some cases, suffer with depression.

I know this may be utter poodoo, and may only apply to me personally; but yeah, the Dark Side I just described pretty much sums me up, and right now, I'm in the grip of a very, very bad depression. I'm also feeling physically quite unwell. Sad

Anyway, over to you.

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

RogueLeader
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 162

Apathy is death?...meh, I don't care

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »

Awww Sad I hope you feel better soon!

I have a Sith's opinion of the Jedi and a Jedi's opinion of the Sith.

Light side points pl

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »

I had a long reply, but then I felt it to be off topic.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »

While I tend to lean toward the light side most often in life, I do border the two now and then. I my life just took a major halt regarding my future career and needless to say I've been closer to the dark side lately. But I'm trying my best to over come it and tell myself to keep going.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »

Unlike the Dark Side, depression is curable. It doesn't have anything to do with the Force, it's just buggy brain chemistry. You should visit a doctor; maybe you'll be prescribed antidepressants.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »

Angry and brooding...I was there through my teens and 20's.  I would have been a dark Jedi then lol.

Bubbly and cheerful is not a requirement for being a Jedi...in fact I would say they run the gambit of behavior except for mass murder and serial killing, leaving that to those who are sub possessed or falling.

I suspect that since you can see it and understand where you are then it is more of a slump...to get some pie...pie can change your outlook on life  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 08:16:01 PM »

I don't necessarily feel there's a strong link between personal emotions and Force alignment (I won't get into good/evil and light/dark alignment - another discussion for another topic). I've known depressives who're fundamentally good people, and cheerful, charismatic folk who'd as soon knife you in the back as give you a hand.

However, I think it's clear that those who feel disenfranchised, hurt or cheated can see power in the dark side - revenge, anger, hatred... All can feel good, seductive, and potent. All are of the dark side, and will taint a soul if embraced, and especially if they're allowed to eat away at the soul of the sufferer.

My impression is that - for most people - the reality of those negative emotions is something that they taste, perhaps enjoy briefly, but let go. For some, those emotions can be like acid, eroding resistance and eating away at their normal personality.

In real life, we don't get Force lightning, the ability to choke people or superhuman agility from those negative emotions. We just get the acid, eating away at us.

Arkanus, I hope you'll be able to get past this. Depression can be fought, so do seek help if you haven't already. It doesn't need to be from doctors, although if it persists then do see a professional.

But it's not just about taking medicine - any or all of changes in diet, lifestyle, work, hobbies and so on can help you shake yourself loose. Talk to friends, family, or someone else in your life who you feel you can turn to, especially if it persists. I've always been lucky in never having been badly affected by this sort of thing, although like most people I had my down moments in my teens and early 20s. However, I know people who've had much more trouble, and all too often they've felt like the battle was theirs to fight alone. Other people can help you, even if you're going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 08:30:27 PM »

I had a long reply, but then I felt it to be off topic.

I'm rather curious as to what you were going to say now, Master Lucien.

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »

Unlike the Dark Side, depression is curable. It doesn't have anything to do with the Force, it's just buggy brain chemistry. You should visit a doctor; maybe you'll be prescribed antidepressants.

Been there, done that, got the t shirt I'm afraid. I start the whole process over again on tuesday. Sad

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 08:37:02 PM »

I don't necessarily feel there's a strong link between personal emotions and Force alignment (I won't get into good/evil and light/dark alignment - another discussion for another topic). I've known depressives who're fundamentally good people, and cheerful, charismatic folk who'd as soon knife you in the back as give you a hand.

However, I think it's clear that those who feel disenfranchised, hurt or cheated can see power in the dark side - revenge, anger, hatred... All can feel good, seductive, and potent. All are of the dark side, and will taint a soul if embraced, and especially if they're allowed to eat away at the soul of the sufferer.

My impression is that - for most people - the reality of those negative emotions is something that they taste, perhaps enjoy briefly, but let go. For some, those emotions can be like acid, eroding resistance and eating away at their normal personality.

In real life, we don't get Force lightning, the ability to choke people or superhuman agility from those negative emotions. We just get the acid, eating away at us.

Arkanus, I hope you'll be able to get past this. Depression can be fought, so do seek help if you haven't already. It doesn't need to be from doctors, although if it persists then do see a professional.

But it's not just about taking medicine - any or all of changes in diet, lifestyle, work, hobbies and so on can help you shake yourself loose. Talk to friends, family, or someone else in your life who you feel you can turn to, especially if it persists. I've always been lucky in never having been badly affected by this sort of thing, although like most people I had my down moments in my teens and early 20s. However, I know people who've had much more trouble, and all too often they've felt like the battle was theirs to fight alone. Other people can help you, even if you're going to have to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Thanks James,

I've probably gone into my own personal stuff too much already, so I don't really wanna clog the boards up with too much more of it, but I do think that professionals are kinda the only option I have; with the stress at home affecting everyone. I don't want my stuff to make them worse.

All I'll add, in relation to things that look attractive. I don't know if any of you can relate but, you eventually get sick of crying and feeling small, and you get angry, very, VERY ANGRY! It feels good in a way to feel some other emotion than out and out despair, and at least anger can be channelled; where uncontrollable tears cannot.

Of course, it never lasts, because you cannot stay angry forever. Even a Sith can't do that! It ebbs and flows, like the tides.

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »

I'm rather curious as to what you were going to say now, Master Lucien.

I am sorry you are going through a rough time.

Being aligned to the dark side is more than just being unhappy or depressed, or an angry individual.

Many times its the people who seem the happiest who hurt the most.

Being aligned with the light means resisting the urge to act based on your emotions, on your own selfish desires. Being a Jedi means knowing you're born dark, that darkness comes easy to us all, but that light requires energy, requires us to resist the dark side. I would say that balance is when the Dark side is resisted. Being a Jedi means walking through darkness, and instead of being consumed by it, you become transformed, a light in the darkness.

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »

I am sorry you are going through a rough time.

Being aligned to the dark side is more than just being unhappy or depressed, or an angry individual.

Many times its the people who seem the happiest who hurt the most.

Being aligned with the light means resisting the urge to act based on your emotions, on your own selfish desires. Being a Jedi means knowing you're born dark, that darkness comes easy to us all, but that light requires energy, requires us to resist the dark side. I would say that balance is when the Dark side is resisted. Being a Jedi means walking through darkness, and instead of being consumed by it, you become transformed, a light in the darkness.

Yes, that makes total sense. DOING IT, is entirely another matter. Referring to myself, and in the words of Bid Fortuna; "...'e's no Jedi!" and I am not.

I'm probably no Sith either, because I don't think I'm mentally capable of hurting people.

Not sure what I am; beyond "crude matter".

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 01:58:05 AM »

But it's not just about taking medicine - any or all of changes in diet, lifestyle, work, hobbies and so on can help you shake yourself loose. Talk to friends, family, or someone else in your life who you feel you can turn to, especially if it persists. I've always been lucky in never having been badly affected by this sort of thing, although like most people I had my down moments in my teens and early 20s.

I was going to type out a long reply, but you basically said everything I would have.  100% agreed.

However, I know people who've had much more trouble, and all too often they've felt like the battle was theirs to fight alone.

This I can relate to more than you know.  I'm an extremely independent person, and it's taken me a long time to realize that I might actually need someone other than myself to talk to and confide in.  Which, ironically, adds to my own depression since I haven't found anyone yet.  I'm generally a positive person, but it takes constant effort.  I've just had a lot of people in the past betray me, which makes trusting the next person that much more difficult. 

Sorry for the hijack.  Rant off.  Darth Arkanus, I feel your pain.  Really, I do.  Here's hoping you can get past it.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 02:52:47 AM »

Even after all these years, I'm still depressed. Thankfully, though, I'm not nearly as depressed as I used to be. Meds never helped, and ironically enough, I feel better now than I ever did when I was taking them. The one major thing that helps me is this: Whenever I feel down, I force myself to smile, and then I just keep moving forward.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:58:06 AM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:32:09 AM »

Well I was feeling really depressed this last week, I basically failed a really easy shooting test and now I'm out of the academy and can't take the class again until January and I only had one more month left!

I was really torn up about it, but then I thought of the Oklahoma tornado victims and I realized life could be a lot worse. They lost everything, what the hell did I lose? I have no right to be depressed.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: