Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Force effect eyes  (Read 13299 times)
Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 04:28:47 AM »

From reading Darth Plagueis;
DP hints that the "yellow eyed monster", as the eponymous Sith puts it, is a matter of choice. Those who have it can chose whether or not to display it, and I think it is somewhat true that it is a prescriptive thing for the audience or to those perceptive to the Force. i.e. A powerful Jedi/Sith can look into their eyes and see the Dark Side burning in their eyes, so to speak; I'm sure it happens vice versa as well.

From Revan;
Scourge comments on Nyriss' appearance, how the Dark Side had "ravaged" her, leaving her with a wrinkled and ageing appearance, and that she embraced the changes that the DS had on her appearance as to revel in her own power and flaunt it to the galaxy.

In the KotOR games;
Your party members will comment on your appearance with reference to your alignment. DS will cause characters to say you look tired and worn, that you need to slow down, stuff like that (I can't remember because I usually go LS), and LS will cause them to say that you look refreshed and vibrant.

Overall, I'd say that the Force has a general effect on your appearance; hell, forcefully channelling that much energy would have to put strain on the physical body, so I'd say a more aggressive approach to the DS (or LS for that matter) would cause the changes described, though I wouldn't say if you use either side it definitely is going to happen. Back to the eyes, I think it's down to the choice of the practitioner to mask the effects of the Force, but the Force would "shine through", I guess, in a powerful individual.

idk, <refer to first paragraph>

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:45 AM »

It does, but I think it's a flawed piece of thinking. Quite apart from the whole "Are Sith/Is the Dark Side evil?" debate, which we won't get into here, you could hardly claim (not that I'm saying you are) that Anakin Skywalker is MORE evil than the young Sidious, or even than Dooku. In fact, I see many parallels between Anakin and Dooku in particular. Both think they are doing the "right thing", though there is a smuttiness and intoxication to Anakin's behaviour that is not present in the Noble Count. Dooku is far more of a manipulator though, and has matter-of-factly been party to much more wholesale slaughter than young skywalker, yet his eyes do not change, despite his very high level Force powers. (Lightning being the best example)

Not to necro an older post but …

The way I interpret the eye color changing is not necessarily a "level of evil" as more or less a bodily reaction to the force… Dark side or light… There are several examples in the series of Jedi (lots of Skywalkers, Anakin / Cade etc) that temporarily have the "Sith" eyes.   It seems like it is more attributed to a specific force use, or force power or a measurement of a bodily reaction from that specific force "exertion" if you will.

There are examples of Jedi healers having their eyes lighten, or go completely white… More popular in the comic book series (Legacy for example) the eyes go red / yellow / orange temporarily like in the case of Cade Skywalker when he was specifically in tune with the Dark Side.  

Also the "Sith Eyes" seem to be expressed by individuals who were … shall I say completely devoted Sith…

For example: Sidious - Something tells me he could switch his eye color from when he is portraying Palpatine and when he is more in tune with the Dark Side as Sidious.  Another example is Anakin… Starts off without the eyes…. Goes red eye… then when he dies he has normal eyes (well as normal as they can be)

My interpretation is that the "Sith eyes" are those adorned by those that are completely enveloped into the Dark Side of the Force and or / a specific reaction to 'extreme polarity to the Dark Side"  

Count Dooku was Sith by ambition and embraced the dark side for pride, vengeance and power so he probably never really went 100% dark as he was an expert duelist and did not need too or cared too, or was a Jedi for too long prior..

Just my 3 pennies.  

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:04 AM »

From my interpretation, Dooku embraced Sith teachings to broaden his understanding/utilisation of the Force rather than 'redirect' his efforts.

I like the idea of the 'exertion-effect', if you will. The Force-user will immerse themselves in the Force to perform a certain feat and their body, like a diode or specifically an LED, expresses a reaction in the form of 'glowing eyes', though I tend to think of the body as a two-way conduit for the Force rather than a true diode. 

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »

Not to necro an older post but …

The way I interpret the eye color changing is not necessarily a "level of evil" as more or less a bodily reaction to the force… Dark side or light… There are several examples in the series of Jedi (lots of Skywalkers, Anakin / Cade etc) that temporarily have the "Sith" eyes.   It seems like it is more attributed to a specific force use, or force power or a measurement of a bodily reaction from that specific force "exertion" if you will.

There are examples of Jedi healers having their eyes lighten, or go completely white… More popular in the comic book series (Legacy for example) the eyes go red / yellow / orange temporarily like in the case of Cade Skywalker when he was specifically in tune with the Dark Side.  

Also the "Sith Eyes" seem to be expressed by individuals who were … shall I say completely devoted Sith…

For example: Sidious - Something tells me he could switch his eye color from when he is portraying Palpatine and when he is more in tune with the Dark Side as Sidious.  Another example is Anakin… Starts off without the eyes…. Goes red eye… then when he dies he has normal eyes (well as normal as they can be)

My interpretation is that the "Sith eyes" are those adorned by those that are completely enveloped into the Dark Side of the Force and or / a specific reaction to 'extreme polarity to the Dark Side"  

Count Dooku was Sith by ambition and embraced the dark side for pride, vengeance and power so he probably never really went 100% dark as he was an expert duelist and did not need too or cared too, or was a Jedi for too long prior..

Just my 3 pennies.  

I take your points, but I still disagree about Dooku. He exibited one of the highest level Dark Force powers, namely lightning, and even then his eyes did not change. Actually, for that matter, neither did Palpatine's before his horrible disfigurement; which I believe was caused by a "feedback loop" that Mace Windu set up with his lightsaber; thus jamming the Dark Side Lightning back onto Palpatine.

So, if two of the most powerful Sith Lords of the pre-Empire age did NOT change their eye colour when using one of the most powerful Dark Side abilities, what can we conclude from that? I think there are a couple of possibilities;

1, The eye colour change is not so much related to whether or not Dark Powers are being used (clearly not, with Palpatine and Dooku) but rather relate to the amplitude of the ability as a percentage of the total capability of the user! What I mean is, for some, Force Lightning would take everything that they had, and more, to create. Whereas for others, such as Dooku, it is a relatively simple ability that takes nothing beyond average effort to produce; so much so that he can chain Lightning attacks into his Saber fights (see Dooku vs Ventress and Savage Opress, and Dooku vs the Nightsisters in Clone Wars)

2, The eye colour is actually more closely related to acts of pure evil; killing CHILDREN, strangling your own WIFE and things of that sort. Perversely, tapping into Dark Side powers to win a fight to the death (Palpatine vs Windu) doesn't constitute and act of EVIL; it is an act of self-preservation.

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 12:34:45 PM »

I'm gravitating towards your first option there, Arkanus. Exertion and immersion in the Force as a product of the whole. Anakin would have thrown himself into a torrent of the DS to revel in his new powers (as he always wanted, more power), where Dooku and the good Palp needn't take as much effort in producing said feats.

That and Palp and Dooku would much rather hide in the Force, and can 'mask' their DS affinity (the eyes), and combined with previous point to produce the idea that high exertion would lower their concentration to 'mask' the eyes, thus Palpatine's yellow eyes after being lightninged half to death. After that, Order 66 eliminated the need to hide from anyone as he was "disfigured by the Jedi when he was attacked", so the yellow eyes didn't need to me masked.

Kresnik
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »

Maybe it is resembling going "Berserk" Nordic/ Viking Myth where you get completely enthralled into the specific act... Your body changes etc ... Vikings that went "berserk" were said to have changed their eyes, grow larger and their ummm other male appendage expand greatly in size ...  Just similar to that ... There is Viking / Nordic stories about those stuck in "berserk" and are basically driven mad by the reaction like a constant adrenaline high...

In order of favorite

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »

Points for being a student/teacher of history Smiley

Well we know the GL isn't above taking mythologies and giving them a SW spin, so I think you've hit the nail on the head, Kresnik

ps: worth a read http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_side_of_the_Force#Corruption_of_the_dark_side

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:32 PM »

Maybe it is resembling going "Berserk" Nordic/ Viking Myth where you get completely enthralled into the specific act... Your body changes etc ... Vikings that went "berserk" were said to have changed their eyes, grow larger and their ummm other male appendage expand greatly in size ...  Just similar to that ... There is Viking / Nordic stories about those stuck in "berserk" and are basically driven mad by the reaction like a constant adrenaline high...

Correct me if I'm wrong though but, didn't Nordic Berserkers also chew on their own, wooden shields, and discovered that the wood contained a hallucinogenic quality similar to ingesting certain styles of drugs?

I take your point though, and if the Force could be tapped into in such a way, stength, resilience, speed, and other abiliities gained through that connection would be amplified a hundred fold!

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 06:10:27 PM »

Incidentally, that article is wrong, as Dooku's eyes are never shown to have turned, at least, not in any version of him that I've seen!

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Kresnik
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »

I own literally every Star Wars comic book ... It happens once at least I cannot remember which issue / series ... Then again light saber colors change from artist to artist ... There are 3 or 4 Mace Windus with Arctic Blue colored sabers in one image then the next its purple ... Poor print quality...

Don't get me started on the Japanese adaptations

I don't recall it being changed other than when he is initially turning to the dark side as I recall with a Dooku back story comic

In order of favorite

Kresnik
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »

Regarding the Nordic - it was a tribal thing.  The act of going "Berserk" was a part of their culture as it was seen in a variety of time periods , clans, leadership periods with Viking era periods.

What they did to obtain berserk is open for interpretation -

The shield thing you expressed Darth Arkanus has been reported ... As well as them actually smoking an hallucinogenic, eating specific fungus, them of course there was that whole "eat your victim" thing they did ... Disease etc

In order of favorite

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:16 AM »

Regardless of how the Nordics went berserk, it's still a cultural mythos that could have played a role in the creation of Sith phenomena.

Also, Windu did own a blue saber, and it was used in some saber swapping tradition or other.

FrozenShadowNinja
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

DARK SIDE POINTS, PLEASE.

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »

It would seem to me that whenever a Sith has been overcome by EXTREME rage from, say, a severe injury, their eyes turn yellow. The first time I noticed Anakin's changed eyes was when he had been cut in half and he was screaming at Obi-Wan  "I HATE YOU!". Palpatine's eyes turned when he nearly got electrocuted to death. That's just what I noticed.

DARK JEDI

Dark Side Points, Please.

"From my Point of View, the Jedi are Evil!"  ...... Why, George...? Just... why...

SABERS: Dark Shock LE With Obsidian Soundboard (Alternate between Sith and Dominus Nox)
   Force FX Luke Skywalker ANH

[

gebhac
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »

I first noticed Anakin's eyes change after he killed the Separatist leadership.  In my opinion the yellow eyes stems from how deep a person is in the Dark Side as well as being truly evil in demeanor.  Maul had the yellow eyes throughout the entirety of Episode 1.  This is not to say that they can't be hidden like Palpatine does or like Anakin did when Padme arrived on Mustafar (see the novelization of Episode III, it describes how Darth Vader covered his persona with that of Anakin Skywalker's, also mentions a similar thing with Palpatine.  After Windu's attempt at arresting and killing him, the mask of Palpatine had been damaged and the true face of Sidious would be useful at that time).

Dooku on the other hand, I've always believed him to be more of a Dark Jedi than Sith.  I've felt that he never intended the Jedi Order to be destroyed but reorganized into something that was more autonomous from the Senate than the Order had been.

Packer221
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 05:56:45 PM »

Yeah, it looks great despite that his hands are crossed so it should really be flipped. But then it wouldn't look as cool.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: