Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Opinions on the "Console War"?  (Read 26786 times)
Nhylus
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 48

« on: June 11, 2013, 03:52:57 AM »

I have been a long time Xbox fan. Diehard almost. I also own a powerful gaming PC and run steam frequently. But after the many disappointments of XboxOne. I feel PS4 very easily won the console war before it began. In my personal opinion only, of course.

Reason being.

Xbox One:
  • Requires you connect to the internet once every 24 hours, or it disables games. (You can still watch tv and movies though. Oh boy)
  • You may not lend a friend games. And reselling is up to the publisher. You may give away a game, but only once. And once it is transferred, it is your friends forever.
  • There aren't many great exclusives for Xbox One. Halo 5 being the only motivating factor for many.
  • It costs $499 and is marketed as a voice activated remote control

PS4
  • Has no DRM. Play offline, trade with your friends, it is your game, you bought it, you decide what you can do with it
  • Kingdom Hearts III, The Last of Us, Final Fantasy XV
  • Costs $399

I literally believe PS4 won simply on the grounds of no DRM.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA</a>

All this said, PCMasterRace4Ever. I love Steam.
What are some opposing or supporting thoughts on today's E3?
Also lets keep it civil. Console discussions too often get out of hand hahah.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:08:17 AM by Nhylus » Logged

I do appreciate lightside points haha.

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -5

Light Points, (I switched to Light)

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »

PS4 Just blew Xbox out of the water. Better Games, cheaper price, free Online, and no violations of our privacy. All the new features are really going to amp up the experience. But as you know, the XBOXONE will sell okay as long as they have enough Call Of Dutys, and 10 year olds to pair them up with. I have always been a PS fan since the PS1, and overall, the Ps3 sold itself better to the World.

CHEEKEE>>

I am A Jedi Positive Points

SABER ARSENAL:

[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__]Dominix V2 W/ orange blade
[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__] Aeon V3 W/ Consular Green and Obsidian Sound (on the way)

Music is just like candy, throw away the rappers.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:02 AM »

PS4 won.

I see absolutely no reason to believe otherwise, aside from hardcore fanboyism (which isn't really a reason).

Hell, if the Xbox One was the only option, I wouldn't get one. It's terrible on its own, even without the apparent awesomeness of the PS4 to compare it to.

Also, my faith in the gaming industry has been greatly restored.

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:45 AM »

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:13:16 AM »

YES! YES!

CHEEKEE>>

SABER ARSENAL:

[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__] Aeon V3 W/ Consular Green and Obsidian Sound (on the way)

Darth Abaddon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 96

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:51 AM »

Can I ask what DRM is? I'm not too console savvy with what all that means. I could take one apart and put it back together but I don't understand what all of the functions are.

If anyone ever tries to kill you, you try and kill 'em right back.

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:19:37 AM »

Can I ask what DRM is? I'm not too console savvy with what all that means. I could take one apart and put it back together but I don't understand what all of the functions are.
Digital rights management. Pretty much the rights that you actually own the game you paid for and can do whatever you want with it.

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:21:35 AM »

DRM is Digital Rights Management, it is when a company restricts use of Digital Content they have sold in order to control it. For example, Xbox is making it so that people can't get used Xbox One games, you can only give the game away once, and once the game has been played on that specififc XboxOne console it can't be given away or sold to be rebrought and played because it will only play on that certain console. It prevents XboxOne player from sharing games.

CHEEKEE>>

SABER ARSENAL:

Nhylus
Knight Templar

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

DRM is Digital Rights Management, it is when a company restricts use of Digital Content they have sold in order to control it. For example, Xbox is making it so that people can't get used Xbox One games, you can only give the game away once, and once the game has been played on that specififc XboxOne console it can't be given away or sold to be rebrought and played because it will only play on that certain console. It prevents XboxOne player from sharing games.
Also part of it is the 24 hour checkup. In order to prevent sharing games illegally, the console will disable gaming unless you connect to the internet for a check every 24 hours. PS4 can be played 100% offline.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:17 AM »

The console looks nice, but that controller... Jeez. That looks amazing.

Nhylus
Knight Templar

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 04:35:33 AM »

The console looks nice, but that controller... Jeez. That looks amazing.
Indeed! It has a touchscreen/pad on it. Interesting to see what they will do with it. They already showed the Watchdogs demo and you could use your own smartphone or tablet to interact with the game.

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 04:45:18 AM »

Ehhh, that's what the PS4 looks like? Is it me or do all the next gen consoles look ugly compared to their predecessors?   Undecided I haven't really been keeping up with gaming lately due to work, but microsoft is pretty much shooting itself in the foot with the current stats it has and they will likely change their prices and their DRM sometime in the future to compete with the other consoles. Probably not a first, but I say it is likely bound to happen. I'am not paying that price for the xbox one.

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 04:49:22 AM »

Also part of it is the 24 hour checkup. In order to prevent sharing games illegally, the console will disable gaming unless you connect to the internet for a check every 24 hours. PS4 can be played 100% offline.

Yeah that is so dumb

CHEEKEE>>

SABER ARSENAL:

Nhylus
Knight Templar

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 04:54:53 AM »

Ehhh, that's what the PS4 looks like? Is it me or do all the next gen consoles look ugly compared to their predecessors?   Undecided I haven't really been keeping up with gaming lately due to work, but microsoft is pretty much shooting itself in the foot with the current stats it has and they will likely change their prices and their DRM sometime in the future to compete with the other consoles. Probably not a first, but I say it is likely bound to happen. I'am not paying that price for the xbox one.
They are unusual looking. But the Ps4 looks a lot better from the different angles.

As a side note, I thought this was kinda amusing, someone purchased the domain name www.xboxdone.com and it redirects you to PS4 Preorders on amazon hahah.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:45 AM »

Why did MS get this paranoid, anyway? They would  make far more money by actually having a marketable console than they'll ever save by preventing theft/piracy/whatever they're so afraid of.

In addition to the question of "why"... did they actually expect Sony to be equally paranoid?

no

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: