Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Opinions on the "Console War"?  (Read 27078 times)
Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:57:39 AM »

Yeah if this is the case Microsoft just killed themselves for the gaming industry IMO... I'd never buy a console with that much baggage.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:07 AM »

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -5

Light Points, (I switched to Light)

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 05:02:58 AM »

Why did MS get this paranoid, anyway? They would  make far more money by actually having a marketable console than they'll ever save by preventing theft/piracy/whatever they're so afraid of.

In addition to the question of "why"... did they actually expect Sony to be equally paranoid?
I think they thought that would just be a new advancement of 6th Gen consoles, that everyone would do it. But MC sometimes, because i think, that they think that their console is Surperior to everyone elses, didn't bother to find out that that was not what Sony was about, Restricting peoples play.

CHEEKEE>>

I am A Jedi Positive Points

SABER ARSENAL:

[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__]Dominix V2 W/ orange blade
[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__] Aeon V3 W/ Consular Green and Obsidian Sound (on the way)

Music is just like candy, throw away the rappers.

Nhylus
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 48

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:53 AM »

Yeah if this is the case Microsoft just killed themselves for the gaming industry IMO... I'd never buy a console with that much baggage.
Yes they did. Its very unusual that they took the route they did. They still have a market in PC gaming w/ Windows, but as far as console gaming goes, they certainly did commit market suicide.

That was a point well deserved.

I do appreciate lightside points haha.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 05:10:58 AM »

That was a point well deserved.

Grin IMO, no matter how good Sony is, Nintendo will always be #1 in my book.

Nhylus
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 48

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 05:48:11 AM »

Here is one that relates to us saber enthusiasts!

I do appreciate lightside points haha.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:42 AM »

PS4. All day, every day.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 06:07:19 AM »

Nintendo wins because Nintendo has Metroid.

Grin

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »

I do enjoy Nintendo, that's for sure but I find it a bit sad that people regard "console competition" solely on graphics, hardware, and competitive/mature games.

Obviously Nintendo can't compete with other consoles in those departments, but Nintendo knows how to market to kids, which like Disney, they have perfected which ultimately allows them to survive in this oligopoly.
The only other console that somewhat has better access to the kid market is the Xbox 360, but mainly in the CoD games, but that technically doesn't count.

And I'm not going to lie, I just don't have time for games anymore.  As a result, my gaming skill has seriously deteriorated such as with competitive online fps' with the exception of Minecraft, but I only use that to build anyways.
Because of this, playing more casual-oriented games provided from Nintendo is almost ideal or older games I may have missed.

Oh well.

Nintendo wins because Nintendo has Metroid.

Grin

But in regards to Metroid, as much as I love Metroid and the lore and the Prime games, I can't help but feel that Nintendo has "lost" Metroid mainly in regards to the previous game.
I'm not against emotion or anything, I'm just against the typical images of how women are presented in games, the media, and society.
But I digress.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:44 PM »

I actually didn't know much about the future consoles before this thread, but even  without insight I had leaned toward the PS4.  I have been a Playstation fan since I first got my beloved grey Playstation console back in the day, and the PS3 (in my opinion) is a no brainer over the 360, with its Bluray capability and free online play.  I realize different consoles work for different people, but it looks like my faith has been well placed with the PS4.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »

MS have apparently been gunned down by Sony in this one.

As for the 'connect once every 24 hours' thing... Do you have to switch it on, or leave it on standby, or what? Even supposing I wanted to get an XBox (and as a casual gamer, I think I may just stick with my laptop) the idea of having my console die when I go away for a weekend or whatever seems ridiculous - and what happens if you have problems with your router or anything?

I foresee some serious backpedalling from MS, if not before launch then within 6 months. I wonder if those first Ones will be able to go online to download the patches to let them work again? Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »

But Sony didn't do anything wrong, and Nintendo hasn't done anything at all... I remember seeing that on /v/ when it was only referring to rumors (when the PS4 was starting to look as bad as the Xbone). Then it made sense.

As of right now, Sony and Nintendo are both doing well Cool

MS have apparently been gunned down by Sony in this one.

As for the 'connect once every 24 hours' thing... Do you have to switch it on, or leave it on standby, or what? Even supposing I wanted to get an XBox (and as a casual gamer, I think I may just stick with my laptop) the idea of having my console die when I go away for a weekend or whatever seems ridiculous - and what happens if you have problems with your router or anything?

I foresee some serious backpedalling from MS, if not before launch then within 6 months. I wonder if those first Ones will be able to go online to download the patches to let them work again? Cheesy

I'm pretty sure it can be "off" when it performs the check, since it's never really off anyway.

It won't actually die, it just won't play games until it can do its check. But hey, you can still watch movies and TV on it without Internet, and according to MS, that's all we want out of a console anyway! Roll Eyes

no

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

I know what you mean, Nintendo has been the Home game console since the beginning, their not known for their graphics, but they are known for the playability and the new features they add to their games. To be honest, i like both Sony and Nintendo equally for different reasons. Sony has Grown more into My home console, while Nintendo had Grown into my handheld gaming (Pokemon etc...). Don't get me wrong though I still sit down all the time and play some classic Mario on my NES.

CHEEKEE>>

SABER ARSENAL:

[_(_(_(_(_[_o_]((([__] Aeon V3 W/ Consular Green and Obsidian Sound (on the way)

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »

But Sony didn't do anything wrong, and Nintendo hasn't done anything at all... I remember seeing that on /v/ when it was only referring to rumors (when the PS4 was starting to look as bad as the Xbone). Then it made sense.

I never said Sony did anything wrong. I'm still rooting for them. For me, when I saw the gif, I just thought, "Oh hey, Sony has crushed all competition... look it's in second place...! Oh, but they'll still never compete with Nintendo, who just stands there and watches the proceedings with disinterest." That's how I saw it.

I know what you mean, Nintendo has been the Home game console since the beginning, their not known for their graphics, but they are known for the playability and the new features they add to their games. To be honest, i like both Sony and Nintendo equally for different reasons. Sony has Grown more into My home console, while Nintendo had Grown into my handheld gaming (Pokemon etc...). Don't get me wrong though I still sit down all the time and play some classic Mario on my NES.

Exactly! For me, nothing will ever beat Nintendo, or Atari, for that matter.

But in regards to Metroid, as much as I love Metroid and the lore and the Prime games, I can't help but feel that Nintendo has "lost" Metroid mainly in regards to the previous game.
I'm not against emotion or anything, I'm just against the typical images of how women are presented in games, the media, and society.
But I digress.

I'm sure they'll bounce back. If they don't, I'll cry. Though I don't think Other M was nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be. Bad? Yes. Extremely bad? No. Besides, Samus is still one of the strongest female protagonists out there, which is part of why I like her so much. One game isn't going to ruin that.

CHEEKEE
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »

kinda stinks that we have to pay for Online for Ps4, but at least it is a modest price $45.00

CHEEKEE>>

SABER ARSENAL:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: