Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Michael Bay to Develop ‘Ghost Recon’ Video Game Movie Adaptation  (Read 2203 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: June 11, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »

Two years have passed since video game publisher/developer Ubisoft decided to get serious about turning its popular titles into movies and television projects – by forming Ubisoft Motion Pictures. The organization is focused on developing feature-length cinematic treatments of best-selling Ubisoft franchises – like Assassin’s Creed and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell – but with a focus on producing stronger artistic results (paving the way for higher box office returns), as compared to the innumerable sub-par and critically-ravaged video game movie adaptations that’ve been made since the early 1990s.

However, the latest news – that Warner Bros. and Michael Bay are working alongside Ubisoft to adapt Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon video games series to the big screen – probably won’t inspire the same degree of confidence as the previous announcements on the Ubisoft movie front.

Bay is currently gearing up to begin filming his fourth Transformers movie, but Variety is reporting that he will oversee development on the Ghost Recon movie through his Platinum Dunes banner and could end up directing the film (dependent on whether or not he likes the script). Ubisoft Motion Pictures CEO Jean Julien Baronnet says that the company wants to collaborate with Bay because “he is a master at action movies” and feel that he’s a good fit for the Ghost Recon universe (described as follows):

“These guys don’t belong to any specific organization,” Jean Julien Baronnet, CEO of Ubisoft Motion Pictures. “They’re in the field where the U.S. troops are not supposed to be. It’s a small team with very strong personalities and very specific skill sets. They’re using weapons nobody knows about but it’s very grounded. It’s not sci-fi.”

The Transformers trilogy has contributed heavily to Bay’s reputation for being a love/hate filmmaker. Nonetheless, some of those sci-fi popcorn blockbuster’s strongest moments have been focused around military soldiers either heading into battle or engaged in combat (see: the base jumping sequence in Transformers: Dark of the Moon); indeed, Bay has long been renowned for his ability to construct exhilarating sequences featuring troops in action (see: The Rock). That’s to say, there’s truth in what Baronnet has to say (like it or not).

Ubisoft heads have begun the search for a screenwriter to handle the Ghost Recon movie adaptation, with the plan being to start formally attaching cast members and related talent by sometime next month. The studio has set rising-in-demand screenwriter Eric Warren Singer – who penned David O. Russell’s upcoming American Hustle – to script the Splinter Cell movie (with Tom Hardy starring). Furthermore, Ubisoft intends to release producer/lead actor Michael Fassbender’s Assassin’s Creed movie adaptation in theaters by Memorial Day 2015.

In other words, Ubisoft isn’t kidding around with these projects and is expected to recruit equally strong writing talent for the Ghost Recon adaptation. The purpose, of course, is to do proper justice by the increasingly complex story and character development featured in contemporary video game titles (rather than reduce them to mindless action film fare):

“When we started Ubisoft we wanted to be able to maintain creative control of our franchises,” Baronnet said. “We wanted to be in a situation where we’re not making mainstream movies but movies that can respect the DNA of our game franchises. Today it’s real.”

The first Ghost Recon game premiered in 2001, as a first-person shooter title that gave rise to multiple iterations (selling over 24 million copies), expansion packs, a turn-based RPG variation for the Nintendo 3DS, and a Facebook game over the subsequent twelve years. Ubisoft has already transformed the franchise into a live-action short film produced by Ridley Scott, titled “Ghost Recon Alpha” – which you can watch below – so there’s little excuse for why a full-length version cannot match or exceed that short in quality.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAzlqzXH0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAzlqzXH0</a>

Are you excited or worried about Michael Bay being involved with development on the Ghost Recon movie adaptation?

Source: http://screenrant.com/ghost-recon-video-game-movie-michael-bay/

_________

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Aurentis
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:20 PM »

Well, that'll be right up his alley.

Emotion, yet peace.

Crimson Reaper: SRD
Shock LE Staff: DVA/AS
Aeon v3: CG [Stunt]

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:46 AM »

On one hand, I want to scream "DO NOT WANT!!!" at my monitor, but on the other hand, I've never really gotten into the Ghost Recon series. GRAW 1 & 2 were both loads of fun, though.

spectresabre
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 41

The Hash Slinging Slasher

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29:46 AM »

Well.. He's ruined Transformers.. Guess he needs to blow up everything else that's up for grabs.

The Laser Realm is the only side I stand by. Not light or dark.. Just Lasers.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »

Well.. He's ruined Transformers.. Guess he needs to blow up everything else that's up for grabs.

I'm not saying the hate isn't deserved, but The Rock and Bad Boys were pretty solid action flicks; both with only human characters and a strong focus on gunplay.

ALTHOUGH, TMNT could blow like a hurricane and he will become irredeemable.  Cheesy

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »

Am I the only one who liked Transformers?  I admit, Revenge of the Fallen kinda sucked, but more for the immature humor than the actual film being bad.  But overall they weren't all that bad. 

Anyway, I never really played Ghost Recon, so I'll probably not know enough about it to be upset at the film.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »

I'm one of those people who can just sit back and watch a movie without picking it apart (for the most part). I'm not worried about him "ruining" it.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »

I tend to be a very laid back movie lover, but there are some films that I just can't help but be critical about. A movie has to be really bad in my eyes for that to happen though. Michael Bay's Transformer movies fall into that category. The first one was okay, but I think after the novelty of it wore off, it started to lose it's appeal for me. The rest of the movies just stunk.

But my philosophy is that if you don't like something, don't watch it/listen to it/whatever, and don't complain about it. Unless someone brings it up of course Wink But I do believe that it's okay to dislike something. It's impossible to like everything that comes your way.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: