Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: New ‘Man of Tai Chi’ Trailer – Keanu Reeves’ Martial Arts Thriller  (Read 2425 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:48 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMC66Jw52Dk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMC66Jw52Dk</a>

Man of Tai Chi stars martial artist Tiger Hun Chen – a stunt performer on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Matrix sequels – as a deadly fighter, who catches the eyes of an unscrupulous fellow (Keanu Reeves) who makes his living in the dangerous world of underground Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) tournaments. Chen, as the protagonist, thrives at his new profession, thanks to his deadly skills in the arena and (not so) deeply buried bloodlust – but can he step away from this world, before he abandons his morals and honor completely?

Reeves is making his directorial debut with Man of Tai Chi, which is based on a script written by Michael G. Cooney (whose resume includes the video games Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 6). The supporting cast include veterans of the martial arts genre, such as Karen Mok (Black Mask), Iko Uwais (The Raid: Redemption) and Simon Yam (Ip Man).

The previously-released Man of Tai Chi international trailer highlighted the fighting and action sequences, but this new preview also outlines the story with greater detail (perhaps too much detail, in fact). No surprise, the martial art combat scenes look to feature excellent choreography – courtesy of master stunt coordinator Woo-ping Yuen (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill, etc.) – and nice-and-clean cinematography, thanks to Elliot Davis (The Iron Lady).

Unfortunately, the fact that Man of Tai Chi was scripted by someone who (partly) comes from a video game background seems to show, in a bad way; that is, with regard to the plot (which appears to be a series of “boss fights”) and even lines of dialogue like Reeves shouting “Finish him!” a la Mortal Kombat-style. Similarly, while it’s a refreshing change of pace to see Reeves play the antagonist, his presence seems a bit lacking in trailer footage. [Insert your Keanu Reeves acting joke of choice here.]

Man of Tai Chi is currently without an official U.S. theatrical release date. We’ll let you know when that changes.

Source: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?action=post;board=31.0

Very excited for this, I think this is a great move for him; I also can't deny a Kung Fu flick.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:55 AM »

but can he step away from this world, before he abandons his morals and honor completely?

This is a question I frequently aim at MMA fighters in real life.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:23:20 AM »

Looks like a good movie to me, at least entertaining for the fighting aspect, and some of the names that will be making appearances. Looks like a modern day nod back to Blood Sport to me.

What's wrong with MMA?

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »

Some behind the scenes,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7HHdIOdoC4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7HHdIOdoC4</a>

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:56:30 AM »

What's wrong with MMA?

To each their own, but I just find MMA to be barbaric. Two people beat each other to a bloody pulp for the sole purpose of entertaining a crowd that somehow finds the whole event fun and amusing. That's not what I think martial arts is supposed to be about. It's just nonsensical to me. That is just my opinion, of course. Feel free to disagree.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:59:39 AM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:11:02 AM »

I like watching legs and feet fly all over the place; kick-Boxing and Muay Thai, stuff like that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: