Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Showrunner to Write ‘Tomb Raider’ Reboot  (Read 4051 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: June 13, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »

The recently released Tomb Raider video game – a reboot of the series that spawned not just one, but two bad Angelina Jolie movies –  received near universal acclaim when it was released back in February. Apparently, the Uncharted-esque third-person shooter gameplay and Far Cry-esque island exploration proved to be an incredibly successful combination.

While we’ve known for some time that a film adaptation of the game was in the works (Captain America star Hayley Atwell even expressed a desire to portray Lara Croft herself), very few details regarding the film have thus far been revealed. Today, we know who’s writing the screenplay.

According to Variety, Marti Noxon has been tasked with writing the script for the film. Noxon is perhaps best known as Joss Whedon’s second-in-command on Buffy the Vampire Slayer - she took on a more prominent role after season 3 when Whedon moved to Angel and eventually became showrunner – but she’s also written the screenplays for I Am Number Four and the surprisingly well-received Fright Night remake.

We previously reported that GK Films would be working closely with Crystal Dynamics – the video game studio behind the recent reboot – to develop the adaptation. Said Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher:

“They are working from this new take that we’ve given them… It was important for both of us to have a cohesive version of the franchise… We didn’t want to see a film version that was a continuation of the old ‘Tomb Raider’ films.”

For those unaware, the Tomb Raider reboot more or less covered the origins of Lara Croft as a tomb-raiding adventurer. Over the course of the game, Lara went from being a fresh-faced archaeology graduate to a skilled, battle-hardened survivalist who could handle a bow and arrow with the best of them.

So it makes sense that GK Films would hire Noxon of Buffy fame to pen the adaptation. A young, strong woman who has to overcome bad guys and supernatural monsters with her special skill-set? Check, check, check, and check.

Tomb Raider, of course, is just one of a multitude of video game movies coming down the pike. In the past year alone, Need for Speed, Assassin’s Creed, Deus Ex, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, and Raving Rabbids have all been announced as being in development for the big screen. Chances are that at least one of those films turns out to be good, right?

Then again, the highest-rated video game movie so far (via Rotten Tomatoes) is Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within with 44% positive reviews, so I wouldn’t go holding my breath if I were you.

Are you looking forward to seeing the Tomb Raider reboot on the big screen, Screen Ranters? Drop us a line in the comments.

There’s currently no release date for the Tomb Raider reboot.

Source: http://screenrant.com/tomb-raider-reboot-movie-buffy-writer/

_______

Great news, so long as they keep Jennifer Lawrence as far as fracking possible away from this. Force knows her name will be the first one people will blurt out; I hate her like people hate Michael Bay or Liquorice.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:41:31 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »

Great news, so long as they keep Jennifer Lawrence as far as fracking possible away from this. Force knows her name will be the first one people will blurt out; I hate her like people hate Michael Bay or Liquorice.

First of all...

and secondly...

I think they would actually go for someone who looks the part. Jennifer Lawrence may be beautiful, and she may be adept at acting, but she does not look the part.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »

^What he said. Except maybe a little less dramatic. lol. Grin

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »

Hey now...

I didn't say I want something bad to happen to her...or was it the comparison to Michael Bay and Liquorice?

I have a sense of humor so even if you really meant it I don't care, but someone else could get really miffed if you were to imply that towards them.  Smiley

Some internet choices,

Camilla Luddington, Gemma Arterton, Emilia Clarke.

Camilla is actually who did the motion capture and  voice work for the reboot of the video game.

Gina Carano would be a good one but I'd really like to see her as Wonder Woman.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »

Jemima West

/endthread

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »

Hey now...

I didn't say I want something bad to happen to her...or was it the comparison to Michael Bay and Liquorice?

I have a sense of humor so even if you really meant it I don't care, but someone else could get really miffed if you were to imply that towards them.  Smiley

No, it was all in jest, my friend. Anything I say online that can be construed as insulting is said with the utmost in lightheartedness.

Some internet choices,

Camilla Luddington, Gemma Arterton, Emilia Clarke.

Camilla is actually who did the motion capture and  voice work for the reboot of the video game.

While all three of them could give it a good go (Gemma especially), I tend to favor Hayley Atwell or Lynn Collins. Heyley Atwell has already expressed interest in the role, and Lynn has more of the tough-yet-beautiful vibe to her.

Gina Carano would be a good one but I'd really like to see her as Wonder Woman.

Gina was my number one pick for Wonder Woman, but after watching Gemma Arterton kick some serious backside in Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, she's on the top of my list. While Gina Carano has the physical stature, Gemma can get it with a decent workout regimen, and Gemma is much better looking as well as a better actress (Don't get me wrong, Gina's hot and can act decently, but Gemma outclasses her on every front except physicality).

Jemima West

/endthread

Jemima's too much of an unknown at this point. While she's definitely nice to look at, she doesn't have the height or the build to play Lara Croft, and I'm not too certain of her acting abilities. A properly portrayed Lara Croft has to be more than just a pair of large breasts atop short shorts. Croft has to be portrayed as beautiful, smart, talented, and physically capable of doing what she does, otherwise it just comes off as a pure fanservice movie.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »

While all three of them could give it a good go (Gemma especially), I tend to favor Hayley Atwell or Lynn Collins. Heyley Atwell has already expressed interest in the role, and Lynn has more of the tough-yet-beautiful vibe to her.

Gina was my number one pick for Wonder Woman, but after watching Gemma Arterton kick some serious backside in Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, she's on the top of my list. While Gina Carano has the physical stature, Gemma can get it with a decent workout regimen, and Gemma is much better looking as well as a better actress (Don't get me wrong, Gina's hot and can act decently, but Gemma outclasses her on every front except physicality).

Totally agree.

H&G was a really fun movie.

"Where are you going?" - Hansel
 "We have to save Edward." -Gretel
"Who the **** is Edward?" -Hansel

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 03:09:16 AM »

It has to be Camilla Luddington. I mean, she has the voice and mannerisms down already, since they're hers.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmlulA8Drvs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmlulA8Drvs</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf-WFePbH1o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf-WFePbH1o</a>

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Venedlor
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 6

Shasta Venedlor

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »

Howabout hally berry? She was good in CatWoman!

I KEED I KEED!!!!!! Tongue

I am a true servant of the Light.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02:54 AM »

I KEED I KEED!!!!!! Tongue

I was about to say...

Never mind.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: