Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Will Smith Won’t Be in ‘Independence Day 2′; Cast Will Be Half New Characters  (Read 3677 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: June 24, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »

It’s taken 17 years, but Fox has at last dated Independence Day 2 to hit theaters during (when else?) the Fourth of July holiday frame in 2015. The sequel will pick up in real-time, some twenty years after the first movie. However, co-writers Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich (the latter is returning to direct) have revealed that ID4-2 takes place in an alternate present-day reality, where humanity has spent the last two decades harvesting the alien technology featured in the first movie.

Cast-wise, Independence Day 2 is expected to bring back characters from the first film – like former U.S. president Thomas J. Whitmore (Bill Pullman) and MIT graduate-turned cable repairman Dave Levinson (Jeff Goldblum) – but Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith) won’t be among them. Similarly, the cast will be half new characters, some of whom may become more prominently featured in a third installment (assuming the first sequel is a satisfactory box office hit).

Devlin and Emmerich had mapped out the ID4 sequel as a two-part narrative arch, under the working title ID Forever Part I & II. The latter has informed Collider that “I think [Fox] decided to only do one first” for the time being, and has set James Vanderbilt (the writer for Emmerich’s White House Down) to polish off the script.

That’s understandable, given that Emmerich’s disaster blockbuster formula isn’t so fresh nowadays (following ID4, The Day After Tomorrow and 2012), and the self-contained nature of ID4 gives all the more reason to wonder if demand for a sequel is so high after many years. Not to mention, the number of alien films released in recent years – a handful of which proved to be mediocre or worse – make it harder to get enthused about yet another blockbuster that feature extraterrestrials in an apocalyptic scenario (the end-of-the-world sub-genre is, likewise, starting to feel over-saturated at this point).

As for Smith’s lack of involvement, Emmerich told the NY Daily News:

“Will Smith can not come back because he’s too expensive, but he’d also be too much of a marquee name. It would be too much. We have like maybe half of the people that you know would know from the first film (in the script) and the other half people who are new.”

What’s funny is that Smith has made it known that he doesn’t want to turn into “the sequel guy,” and yet many of his oft-rumored upcoming projects are followups to his previous tentpole successes (Bad Boys 3, Hancock 2, I Am Legend 2, etc.). While M. Night Shyamalan’s After Earth – which stars Will and his son Jaden – has performed below expectations, the sci-fi film has still managed to take in $172 million worldwide; meaning, the ex-Fresh Prince’s ability to get projects green-lit probably won’t take that big a hit (and it won’t change his mind about not becoming the go-to guy for sequels).

Moreover, Will Smith’s recent performance in Men in Black III was lacking and felt almost phoned-in; it’s no surprise that he’s not interested in making a fourth movie right now (in my opinion). That’s to say, his focus appears more on tackling challenging dramatic roles at this stage in his career anyway, along the lines of those from The Pursuit of Happyness, Seven Pounds and the upcoming Winter’s Tale.

Independence Day 2 invades theaters on July 3rd, 2015.

Source: http://screenrant.com/independence-day-2-no-will-smith-cast/

_________

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »

Ya know... it's hard to think of ID4 without Will Smith in it, but I'm game for a sequel. It was an awesome movie.

Also, I must say: 'Hello Boys, IIIIII'M BAAAAAAACK!!!!' *boom* Grin

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:31:43 PM »

Not gonna lie, I think the apocalypse thing is getting old..... That being said, I'm still game for this.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Deadcow
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -53

Dark side points

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »

ID2 no Will Smith. Crap

Dark side points please

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »

I liked ID4.  But a sequel?  Really?  Just let it go people.  (people being those in hollywood, not here)

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »

M. Night needs to stay away from anything sci-fi or martial arts related.  His work in those areas has not been worth seeing.  (in reference to the After Earth not doing so well box office wise)  Will Smith sequels are ok but they are not going to be as great as his firsts.  Saw Bad Boys 2, didn't like as much as 1. 

ID4-2 without Will Smith could have been good but I have to agree with Oramac, this is a little too much later to be any good. 

Come on Hollywood, we need some original stuff!!!! 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Tsurabisu
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -45

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »

Been waiting a long time for this. Even though Smith isn't going to be in it, I'll definitely be seeing it once it comes out.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:21:22 PM »

I couldn't care less if Smith is in it.

The first one was great, but it's not like I feel the movie hangs on his shoulders.

Goldblum and Pullman will be back.

Time to speculate,

I wonder if they will go real time with ID4-2, by that I mean it's been 17 years since first contact(ID4 - 1996) and in that time humans have scrambled to bolster their defenses; reverse engineering the alien tech to do so.

Even if you're moving at Mach Jesus it takes a long time to move through space and as far as I remember they never mentioned the aliens having FTL or the like. 17 earth years for us sounds like a long time but moving from point A to point B through open space it's not that long.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »

My idea wasn't that far off from what I just read (paragraph 6)

Jeff Goldblum & Bill Pullman Back for ‘Independence Day 2′; Will Smith Cameo Possible

After seventeen years of rumors, speculation, and false starts, director Roland Emmerich appears to finally have some traction for the long-awaited Independence Day follow-up, tentatively titled ID Forever. If all goes according to plan, the sequel will actually be comprised of two feature length films – Part I and Part II – with the first installment tentatively scheduled for July 3rd, 2015. The filmmaker has been busy promoting his soon-to-be-released thriller White House Down, starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx, which sees a hostile force take control of the White House and put the President’s life in jeopardy (not to be confused with Olympus Has Fallen).

Unsurprisingly, ID Forever has been a regular topic of conversation for Emmerich on the White House Down press tour and today we’ve got good news for fans of patriotic speeches and outer space cigar smoking – as the director has confirmed that both Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are expected to return for the sequel(s).

Speaking to Movies.com in a New York City Q&A, Emmerich asserted that the actors, who played fan-favorite cable guy/computer hacker, David Levinson, and fighter pilot/President, Thomas J. Whitmore, are two returning faces set for ID Forever. As we’ve previously reported, the sequel’s cast is expected to be a mix of familiar franchise participants and entirely new characters – roughly a 50/50 blend for the main cast. Previously, Goldblum and Pullman have expressed interest in the project, but this is the first report suggesting that Emmerich has included them in his plans for the film – and that he expects they’ll reprise the roles. That said, the director does not outright say the actors have signed contracts – meaning that, until we hear official confirmations, it’s still possible one or both of the characters might not make it into the final film.

Regardless, the most notable omission to the ID Forever crew will be Will Smith’s Captain Steven Hiller - who is not expected to return. In the new interview, Emmerich asserts that they simply cannot afford the actor but the filmmaker was quick to clarify that Smith has not yet read the final script and that a Hiller cameo is still possible – if for no other reason than to “pass the torch” to new cast members.

Regardless of how viewers might feel about Smith these days (considering the amount of backlash aimed at After Earth), Hiller was a fan-favorite character responsible for many of the best (and most memorable) moments in Independence Day. As a result, a cameo by the actor would be a nice way to close-out the Hiller storyline – without requiring the production to front a huge salary.

That said, if Smith opts to pass on Emmerich’s cameo ideas, there are still plenty of ways for the filmmaker to explain Hiller’s absence - especially since early plot details suggest the movie will take place in real time, 20-25 years after the original alien invasion. That time jump (made possible by complicated space travel/wormhole physics) should also help provide Goldblum and Pullman with fun material for their characters – since they’ll be playing much older versions of Levinson and Whitmore.

Even at the most basic level, a story about people who survived the first alien attack and then spent the next 20 years (possibly) preparing for a second wave is intriguing – even before you consider the continued personal stories that will be included. For example: President Whitmore should no longer be President and his young daughter, Patricia (played by Arrested Development‘s Mae Whitman), will be in her twenties. Similarly, will Emmerich bring back Margaret Colin to reprise her role as Levinson’s wife, Constance Spano? If so, it’s likely the pair could have decided to have their own children in the subsequent two decades.

Until we know more, let’s all keep our fingers crossed that – since Goldblum is back - Levinson’s father, Julius (portrayed by Judd Hirsch), will also make an appearance.

The Movies.com interview also (casually) suggests that Emmerich is still interested in a Stargate sequel, and that it might be next on the filmmaker’s schedule after ID Forever Part I and II. However, that appears to only be speculation at this point – as Emmerich collaborator Dean Devlin already mentioned they were interested in returning to the Stargate franchise in the future. As a result, Emmerich’s comment is merely confirmation that the pair could return to their other beloved sci-fi property at some point.

ID Forever: Part I invades theaters on July 3rd, 2015.

Source: http://screenrant.com/independence-day-2-cast-jeff-goldblum-bill-pullman-will-smith-cameo/

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

The Movies.com interview also (casually) suggests that Emmerich is still interested in a Stargate sequel, and that it might be next on the filmmaker’s schedule after ID Forever Part I and II. However, that appears to only be speculation at this point – as Emmerich collaborator Dean Devlin already mentioned they were interested in returning to the Stargate franchise in the future. As a result, Emmerich’s comment is merely confirmation that the pair could return to their other beloved sci-fi property at some point.

I predict that this will be a critical and possibly commercial failure.

SG-1 and Atlantis (and Universe, to a much lesser extent) are too ingrained in peoples' minds for a sequel movie to work, especially since he and Dean Devlin do not consider the shows to be a valid continuation of the movie.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »

I loved ID4, it was the 2nd DVD I ever owned (first being Swordfish).

Never have been a huge fan of Smith anyways (he's a good actor, but like Johnny Depp, he doesn't have too much depth in what he does).

I am interested if this is going to be man vs man or man vs aliens or man vs man vs aliens. 

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »

I hadn't heard anything about Jeff Goldblum, but I hope you guys are right because he is a great actor.  I thought he did really well as Malcolm in Jurassic Park, and I loved the 1986 version of The Fly, in which he played the main character Seth Brundle.  I was a teenager when the original ID came out so i will see the sequel for the nostalgia value and for Jeff!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: