Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Pacific Rim’ Round-Up: New Clips, Posters & Featurette  (Read 3279 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: July 02, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »

**SPOILERS MAY FOLLOW**

(There are 4 clips and 1 featurette, together they show a bit of the film.)

Pacific Rim is right around the corner (temporally speaking, anyway – geographically it depends on where you’re reading this from), and there’s been no shortage of posters, trailers and featurettes to tease the epic showdown between man-made giant robots and extra-dimensional oversized monsters. Since we’ve already had so many, a few more can’t possibly hurt.

In the latest round-up of new promotional material for Pacific Rim, there are three minute-long clips from the film, an extended featurette, and two new posters. These may well be among the last of their kind that we see, until the extra features for the DVD and Blu-ray release, at least.

The three new clips are all of a very different nature, and each shows an intriguing glimpse into a different area of the Pacific Rim universe. In the first, Raleigh (Charlie Hunnam) and Mako (Rinko Kikuchi) size each other up as potential co-pilots by facing off as adversaries in a fight. In the second, Dr Newston Geizsler (Charlie Day) attempts to acquire a particular Kaiju organ from the the black market that has apparently sprung up around the harvesting of the dead monsters’ bodies from battle. In the final clip, we get to see one of those battles in motion as Raleigh and Mako take their Jaeger up against one of the invaders.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecEljIW9I2s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecEljIW9I2s</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SetWcXuOlE8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SetWcXuOlE8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XQ-7FquseY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XQ-7FquseY</a>

The Kaiju have, thus far in the Pacific Rim marketing, been mostly shrouded in water, smoke or darkness to conceal their true forms, so it’s quite gratifying to see one in its full glory. If that clip wasn’t enough for you, however, there’s also an entire Kaiju-specific featurette on the design of the monsters:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSH506JWC0M" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSH506JWC0M</a>

Interestingly, despite the fact that the Kaiju come from an inter-dimensional crack deep in the Pacific ocean, del Toro says that they are “based on life forms that exist on Earth. We tried to echo real animals.” There would be an in-universe explanation for why the Kaiju resemble sharks and lizards from Earth, such as the rift between worlds opening up in the past to allow species to cross from Earth into the parallel dimension and evolve differently there. It would also, however, be part of del Toro’s attempt to make an homage to the genre, which has predominantly featured monsters that resemble mutated forms of familiar creatures.

If you’re not quite satisfied with all that new footage, then here’s one final cherry on top to get you excited for the release of Pacific Rim: Coming Soon has two brand new trading card themes posters, one representing the Jaeger and the other featuring the Kaiju. Their stats, once added up, make them evenly matched, but note that the Jaeger has killed five Kaiju and is still standing, which has to count for something.

Gipsy Danger is apparently one of the oldest surviving Jaeger’s in the movie universe, and is the one that is seen being piloted by Mako and Raleigh. The big, bad, ugly Kaiju in the second poster is called Otachi and is a “Category 4″ – whatever that means. Based on what has been shown of Otachi’s size and abilities, we can only pray that no Category 5 Kaiju came through the rift as well.

There haven’t been many details so far as to what drove the Kaiju into Earth, or what they are so annoyed about, but screenwriter Travis Beacham has said that we will definitely get to see somewhere that is not Earth in the movie, and del Toro has hinted that if Pacific Rim gets a sequel, the characters might take a turn at adventuring through the other side of the dimensional rift.

Will you be first in line to see Pacific Rim when it arrives in theaters, or will you wait for rental and see the giant monsters on a small screen?

Pacific Rim is out in theaters on July 12, 2013.

Source: http://screenrant.com/pacific-rim-movie-posters-clips-featurette/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »

First in line...and then again when it comes out  Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

The Jaeger kind of reminds me of the mecha from The Big O. But anyway, I know for a fact that my friend (who is quite possibly the biggest Godzilla fan of all time), will be seeing this as soon as it hits theaters. I'll wait for the DVD release, though. My excitement level is sort of in the middle.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:46:37 AM »

Gonna see it next week when it comes out! My buddy has to be back in Minneapolis for school by Monday the 15th so we're gonna see it Friday. Hasn't been a good Kaiju movie in a LONG time!

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 05:40:04 AM »

I just really cannot get into the previews on this movie.

I don't know, I just don't see how they can have a decent story to go along with giant rockem sockem robots vs godzilla to make me actually care about anything going on in the movie.

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »

When I saw the previews my first reaction not having any clue what Pacific Rim was "they made a power rangers movie ...seriously "

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »

When I saw the previews my first reaction not having any clue what Pacific Rim was "they made a power rangers movie ...seriously "

If they made a new Power Rangers movie, I would be soaring through the roof with happiness and excitement Cheesy

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

I just really cannot get into the previews on this movie.

I don't know, I just don't see how they can have a decent story to go along with giant rockem sockem robots vs godzilla to make me actually care about anything going on in the movie.

I am excited to see this but completely know how you feel.

My eyes are very happy, but my brain is asking, "So what's the story?"

Del Torro doesn't tend to let me down though.  Smiley

I wish people didn't see them as a joke...the first high budget MMPR movie was great.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »

Del Torro doesn't tend to let me down though.  Smiley

I wish people didn't see them as a joke...the first high budget MMPR movie was great.

I watched them as a kid, I just think it would be one of those things that should be kept out of big budget blockbusters in hollywood ... maybe from Japan maybe that would make sense but not in America

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »

I am a fan of kaiju eiga in all of their forms...daikaiju especially!

Giant monsters done to a high quality.

Think of this movie as a really great hamburger...is it a fine dinner of butter poached lobster and delicate veg in pastry?  No...but it is a great burger loaded with yummy goodness...up front with what it is going to be.

Giant monsters = great hamburger...gives me a yes

Sometimes going to a movie for the sake of the effects, action, and eye candy is enough...at least for me...Ipay to be entertained...if I want culture, I will read a book or go to the opera.

Smiley

Light side points please Smiley

Aurentis
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 31

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:07 PM »

I don't see this as anything even remotely similar to "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" -- that was Real Steel.
Honestly?  My first thoughts were "so this is what became of the live-action Evangelion that was rumored like nine years ago."

Having actually watched the previews a bunch, and being a big fan of Godzilla, I have to admit I'm pretty jazzed up for this movie.  It'll go great with two fingers of Macallan.  Grin

Emotion, yet peace.

Crimson Reaper: SRD
Shock LE Staff: DVA/AS
Aeon v3: CG [Stunt]

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:07 PM »

Agreed 110%

I watched them as a kid, I just think it would be one of those things that should be kept out of big budget blockbusters in hollywood ... maybe from Japan maybe that would make sense but not in America

Power Rangers is an American adaptation of a Japanese kid's show. So actually, it would only make sense to show it here.

As long as it doesn't turn into the Expendables 2 but with giant robots, I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:58:33 PM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: