Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick video of me messing around  (Read 1914 times)
Aurick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 137

« on: July 05, 2013, 03:31:56 AM »

Hello everyone,
     Just did a quick video in the back yard doing what I believe is the obi-ani? Or plum flower? Idk I just saw it today and wanted to try it. Lemme know if that is in fact what I was doing! Thanks all!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wV7GBhe7U

Liberator V3 VA
Dominix V3 GB
Dark Iniatiate V2 LE in FO (sons)
Iniatiate V2 in SRD (daughters)
Dark initiate V3 LE in CG (daughters)
Archon V2.1 CG/FO
Dark shock (emerald) custom
Standard Issue in CG
Dominix V2 LE in BR

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:35:22 AM »

That is indeed the Plum Flower flourish. A lot of people get the Plum Flower and the Obi-Ani flourish confused, but the one you were doing is the Plum Flower. Good speed doing it too.

Aurick
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »

Thanks! I need to work on left hand wielding now. I appreciate the insight Venturous, is there a video then on the obi-ani? And do you or anyone know if these flourishes fit into one of the 7 forms?

Liberator V3 VA
Dominix V3 GB
Archon V2.1 CG/FO
Standard Issue in CG
Dominix V2 LE in BR

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:18:39 AM »

Thanks! I need to work on left hand wielding now. I appreciate the insight Venturous, is there a video then on the obi-ani? And do you or anyone know if these flourishes fit into one of the 7 forms?

Here is a link to my YouTube channel where I cover those moves and more in more detail:
http://www.youtube.com/user/venturous1v/videos?flow=grid&view=1

The video titled Lesson 3 - Obi-Ani Flourish in my single saber series shows what the Obi-Ani flourish is and Lesson 3a covers the correct way of doing it. The Obi-Ani flourish mainly is used in Form 3 - Soresu, but is also applied in other forms as well, though not as much I would say. It is mainly a Soresu flourish that either is used as a defense for the back or is used to gain momentum for a power strike to the front. Hope that helps.

Aurick
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:58:04 AM »

That does! I will take a look at the vid tomorrow morning, but I was just looking if I was leaning towards a certain style and maybe soresu is it. I will look that up as well to see it more in detail. Point to you sir for the great help!

Liberator V3 VA
Dominix V3 GB
Archon V2.1 CG/FO
Standard Issue in CG
Dominix V2 LE in BR

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:21:21 AM »

That does! I will take a look at the vid tomorrow morning, but I was just looking if I was leaning towards a certain style and maybe soresu is it. I will look that up as well to see it more in detail. Point to you sir for the great help!

Ultimately, I would say strive to be formless and to simply adapt to whatever the opponent gives you, which does not rely on any of the seven forms in particular. However, I know a lot of people like to build their own style or method of fighting, so I'll offer some advice in terms of that. When choosing what form to focus on, I would say to avoid the temptation to choose a form based on the moves you see within the form. That is to say, don't choose Soresu because of one particular move you fancy. I know a lot of people like Soresu because it is a flashy form and has a lot of cool looking moves in it, but one should not choose Soresu based on this. Choosing a form (or forms) to learn should be based on how you approach a combative situation. Do you see yourself relying more on your emotions to fuel your techniques (Juyo)? Do you see yourself focusing more on defending yourself, rather than attacking the opponent (Soresu)? Perhaps you like to power through an opponent's defenses and dominate the fight through parries and the like (Djem So). Maybe you prefer making quick attacks in and out while maintaining a strong defense (Makashi). Or perhaps you just want the basics of combat and don't want to delve too deeply into all the intricacies of fighting (Shii Cho). This is what I mean by choosing a form based on how you would approach combat. If you choose to learn Soresu, make sure it reflects your philosophy on combat, rather than because of a technique or techniques contained within the form. This, in the end, will give meaning to your sparring matches and will give you more insight, not only into your combative technique, but also yourself.

Aurick
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »

Thanks Venturous, I'll reflect on that before making a decision, or not making one.

Liberator V3 VA
Dominix V3 GB
Archon V2.1 CG/FO
Standard Issue in CG
Dominix V2 LE in BR

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: