Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: What's your favorite Trek series?  (Read 13792 times)
Madeye
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 17

Harkness - Torchwood

« on: July 15, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »

This will undoubtedly spur a fascinating debate as to which series is everyone's favorite.

I personally grew up watching all of them, but I really loved TNG, that was my bread and butter of TV shows, it was something I could watch over and over again and never tire of.

The characters were diverse, and despite the fact that I preferred more of a Captain Kirk guns blazing type approach to dealing with situations, Captain Picard's methods helped show me there are other ways besides just violence in solving problems. A useful trait I fear many kids nowadays don't really get.

So, please share with me why you agree, disagree, etc. Smiley

Overlord-GB w/Sound GB illum AV
Li-Ion w/Buckpuck UEHG

Scorpion-AS w/Sound AS illum AV
Li-Ion w/BuckPuck UEHG

Belicose-FO w/Sound-FOC BR
Li-Ion w/BuckPuck UE (Raffle Prize)

Dark Initiate LE v3-GB-grabbag

Monarch-CG w/Sound illum CG AV
Li-Ion w/BuckPuck UE (Ordered)
Light side points

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »

Deep Space 9 is my favorite.  The whole Dominion War thing was awesome.  Everything from the Cardassians taking DS9 and the Fed's taking it back and then the invasion of Cardassia.  There was a lot of filler in between, but when it got good it was really good.  I also loved seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise.  Season 1 was garbage and I didn't watch 2, but 3 and 4 were great.   

I like TNG but it is the most boring of the Star Trek shows to me.  They did have some really good episodes, but a lot was just boring.  It had possibly the best cast of any Star Trek show though, at least in my opinion.  One thing about Picard, which he probably showed more in the movies, he could work both the diplomatic and aggresive sides to handle a problem, though easily the most diplomatic of the Star Trek captains.

I know you didn't ask for least favorite, but I'll give it to you anyway.  Averall I think that would be Voyager.  It had some eye-candy for the guys and the doctor was great, but mostly it was just alien-of-the-week and a very uninteresting crew. 

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »

For me it goes TNG, DS9 as 1 and 2 then the bronze goes to VOY then an honorable mention to TOS and the biggest mistake ever made in the ST universe : Enterprise

Movies : First Contact without a doubt, Generations, The Undiscovered Country, The first JJ Abrams one, Nemesis then the rest

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Madeye
Knight Lieutenant

Harkness - Torchwood

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »

Deep Space 9 is my favorite.  The whole Dominion War thing was awesome.  Everything from the Cardassians taking DS9 and the Fed's taking it back and then the invasion of Cardassia.  There was a lot of filler in between, but when it got good it was really good.  I also loved seasons 3 and 4 of Enterprise.  Season 1 was garbage and I didn't watch 2, but 3 and 4 were great.   

I like TNG but it is the most boring of the Star Trek shows to me.  They did have some really good episodes, but a lot was just boring.  It had possibly the best cast of any Star Trek show though, at least in my opinion.  One thing about Picard, which he probably showed more in the movies, he could work both the diplomatic and aggresive sides to handle a problem, though easily the most diplomatic of the Star Trek captains.

I know you didn't ask for least favorite, but I'll give it to you anyway.  Averall I think that would be Voyager.  It had some eye-candy for the guys and the doctor was great, but mostly it was just alien-of-the-week and a very uninteresting crew. 

My major objection with DS9 was Sisko being "The Chosen One".....It just really seemed odd to me, for a show (Star Trek as a whole) that wasn't afraid of discussing any issue whether it be political, spiritual, etc, the concept that he was "The One" just didn't sit well with me. I didn't really like how the series ended either.

It seemed to me (Because I did enjoy the series overall) like they could have gone and made a few movies had it not been for the finale. The finale kind of sealed the series fate to never be able to do anything else with that group. (The ones who survived I mean).

Regarding Voyager, the doctor definitely stole the show I agree.  Smiley

Li-Ion w/Buckpuck UEHG

Li-Ion w/BuckPuck UEHG

Light side points

Madeye
Knight Lieutenant

Harkness - Torchwood

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:10:57 PM »

For me it goes TNG, DS9 as 1 and 2 then the bronze goes to VOY then an honorable mention to TOS and the biggest mistake ever made in the ST universe : Enterprise

Movies : First Contact without a doubt, Generations, The Undiscovered Country, The first JJ Abrams one, Nemesis then the rest

Interesting order for the movies, most people don't seem too fond of Generations, I thought it was great, but then I knew all the inside jokes that the average person missed when they watched it in the theater. So I was laughing and most people were looking at me, like "What's his problem?" Smiley

Li-Ion w/Buckpuck UEHG

Li-Ion w/BuckPuck UEHG

Light side points

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »

My major objection with DS9 was Sisko being "The Chosen One".....It just really seemed odd to me, for a show (Star Trek as a whole) that wasn't afraid of discussing any issue whether it be political, spiritual, etc, the concept that he was "The One" just didn't sit well with me. I didn't really like how the series ended either.

It seemed to me (Because I did enjoy the series overall) like they could have gone and made a few movies had it not been for the finale. The finale kind of sealed the series fate to never be able to do anything else with that group. (The ones who survived I mean).

Regarding Voyager, the doctor definitely stole the show I agree.  Smiley

I have to agree on that.  DS9 wrapped everything up so tightly in it's finale, especially with getting rid of Sisko, there wasn't much opportunity for a movie.  

I detect the gaping absence of Wrath of Khan in that list.  Not a fan of it?  
Can't argue with First Contact being near the top but it would be Kahn, Contact, then Undiscovered Country for me.  Nice to see Generations and Nemesis get a little love though.  I really liked both of those but they seem to be less well received compared to others.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Madeye
Knight Lieutenant

Harkness - Torchwood

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »

I detect the gaping absence of Wrath of Khan in that list.  Not a fan of it?  
Can't argue with First Contact being near the top but it would be Kahn, Contact, then Undiscovered Country for me.  Nice to see Generations and Nemesis get a little love though.  I really liked both of those but they seem to be less well received compared to others.

What's your opinion of Into Darkness? I thought Cumberbatch was one bad ass Khan! Smiley

Li-Ion w/Buckpuck UEHG

Li-Ion w/BuckPuck UEHG

Light side points

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »

What's your opinion of Into Darkness? I thought Cumberbatch was one bad ass Khan! Smiley

I thought it was great!  I'm not sure Spock ever got to be an action hero before. :p
I even pre-ordered the blu-ray collector's set that comes with the replica phaser. Cheesy
Cumberbatch was pretty good but nobody will ever replace Montalban.  The guy was just too awesome. 

Kresnik
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »

Revision Wrath of Kahn is in after Undiscovered -

Nemesis to me is more or less omg another TNG movie

Generations was omg this is hilarious ...

I actually kind of prefer the Kirk version - the none Kirk version was just a long TNG episode

By far the worst movie was Insurrection or the longest TNG episode ever ... Should not have been a movie.

I bought all the blu rays separately so my blu ray player would not have to play that vile thing

In order of favorite

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »

Revision Wrath of Kahn is in after Undiscovered -

Nemesis to me is more or less omg another TNG movie

Generations was omg this is hilarious ...

I actually kind of prefer the Kirk version - the none Kirk version was just a long TNG episode

By far the worst movie was Insurrection or the longest TNG episode ever ... Should not have been a movie.

I bought all the blu rays separately so my blu ray player would not have to play that vile thing

I liked the Kirk parts better too, probably because I was a much bigger fan of Kirk's movies, I loved the uniforms, and we got to see Scotty and Chekov once last time.  Definitely agree on Insurrection.  It's something I might watch if I was bored and flipping channels but not something I would actually pop into my player.   

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »

Well I love all five TV shows but TOS is my favorite.  I like the chemistry between the crew especially the main three.  TNG would be my second favorite, lots and lots of fun and creative episodes in it, plus it introduced the cyberzombie Borg! 

My favorite movie is still Star Trek IV, the movie is so funny and I still laugh my butt off every time I watch it.  It is one of my favorite comedies of all time.  I also enjoyed it's soundtrack as well. I especially love Shatner's acting during the scene when they are at the aquarium and Kirk is trying to find Spock and then spots him inside the whale tank, the look of his face is priceless.  My second favorite movie is a tie between VI and First Contact.  My least favorite is Nemesis, it was sad to see the TNG crew end on that movie.

Tsurabisu
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -45

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »

To be honest, I liked all the series except DS9. I just could never get into that one. My favorite series may very well be Enterprise. I hated the fact that it was canceled before the Romulan war season 5 was going to bring. Oh well... Next on my list is a toss up between TNG and VOY.

Kresnik
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:46:37 PM »

I have I give Enterprise another shot I tried like 4 of the first seasons episodes and it hurt to watch.  Just filled with over the top -"we don't have this technology yet " so we are suffering etc

I disliked the captain he was channeling Kirk too much

In order of favorite

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »

I have I give Enterprise another shot I tried like 4 of the first seasons episodes and it hurt to watch.  Just filled with over the top -"we don't have this technology yet " so we are suffering etc

I disliked the captain he was channeling Kirk too much

If you decide to give Enterprise another shot, start with season 3 or 4.  I think it was part-way through season 3 when they got new writers and the show got a whole lot better.  As I said before, season 1 was garbage.  It was the first time I ever gave up on a new Star Trek show.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »

Deep Space Nine. Just so much win, all the way around. I grew up on that series and reruns of it's predecessors. I believe my runner up is Voyager. I didn't get into it when it was new, in fact, it annoyed the heck outta me, but something about watching reruns eight years later.... made it good. I dunno what it was. The era? The crew? The more exploratory nature? Probably all of the above. Third up to bat is TNG, because I can actually still find episodes I haven't seen and I watched a TON of that show as a kid. I still love it. Awesome characters, acting, sets, writing, and style. Only bad thing about it was the majority of Nemesis and some of Insurrection. Fourth is TOS, because it's TOS. You gotta love TOS. Fifth... and I think I'm the first to mention this one here, but I dunno cause I skimmed some of the earlier posts without thorough reading (sorry!), is The Animated Series. I liked how it took sort of the approach of 'what couldn't we do on the first show?' and just got very wild and out there. Plus, I noticed some episodes were written by some of the actors, and I really liked that. I freely admit the animation is even worse than Scooby Doo though. LOL Last place? Enterprise. What else? lol It had SO much potential, and such good actors, but the writing was largely HORRIFIC. I think they tried to recapture DS9's continuing story approach, and it just did not work. Things that should have been covered weren't, and things that shouldn't have were repeatedly. I will say though that there were a smattering of EXTREMELY good episodes in that show, and they may... MAY, have done my favorite Mirror episode. I also loved the run of Augment eps. Cause Brent Spiner is awesome.

Favorite Trek Movies.... harder to order, but approximately as follows: First Contact (who doesn't love the bit where the E sweeps in and saves Worf's bacon?), Voyage Home (too funny and so in character all the way), Wrath of Khan (very in character, great storyline, and really just the perfect Trek movie), Into Darkness, and Generations (Data's emotion chip. Nuff said). The rest are all sort of flat tied, with TMP in second to last, and Search for Spock in last. I'm sorry Spock, it was a well done film and I loved it, but I can't keep from crying when she does down in flames. It's just too sad.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: