Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: new and favorite music suggestions.  (Read 8239 times)
Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »

For some reason, I don't like metal as much anymore. Old bands that I used to love and be loyal to are just grating to my ears now. Most likely because I listened to them throughout middle school/high school and therefore they carry a lot of baggage and bad memories. *shrugs* And also because I'm not nearly as angry anymore.

Metal is a funny thing.  You can find some really uplifting metal out there, if you're willing to look for it.  And you can find a lot of uplifting lyrics if you look into a song more than just surface level.  

Perfect example: Daddy's Falling Angel by In This Moment

Taken at face value, it's an incredibly depressing song.  But look into Maria Brink's story (her stepdad raped her), and her overcoming of it to pursue her passion for music, and it becomes a very inspirational song.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:54:39 PM by Oramac » Logged

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »

There is definitely a lot of uplifting metal. What I meant by that last sentence is that I personally listened to metal because I was angry. I didn't mean that metal is inherently angry or aggressive, because in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't. I still do listen to metal though. And that is a good example Smiley

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:06 PM »

There is definitely a lot of uplifting metal. What I meant by that last sentence is that I personally listened to metal because I was angry. I didn't mean that metal is inherently angry or aggressive, because in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't. I still do listen to metal though. And that is a good example Smiley

I see.  Sorry, I misunderstood your post.  But yea, I think there's a truth in there that all music we listen to is affected by our personal feelings and beliefs, metal or otherwise.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

I see.  Sorry, I misunderstood your post.  But yea, I think there's a truth in there that all music we listen to is affected by our personal feelings and beliefs, metal or otherwise.

Well, hey, I was the one that used to defend metal all the time, remember? Cheesy I'm not just going to pull a total 180. Although I'm glad that I don't do that anymore because even I wanted to punch myself in the face. Man, I used to be such a punk. Stupid teenage punk brain.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 09:29:40 PM »

Seconded.  They're all 3 really good.  Little known fact: all three are also Christian.

So are August Burns Red, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, and Skillet.

Fun facts aside, this is getting close to being a touchy subject.

Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack for the new Evil Dead movie by a guy named Roque Banos. It's freaking sweet!

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:54 PM »

Speaking of Skillet, I would love to hang out with John Cooper for a day. That man has the most cheerful disposition ever, and he is so hilarious. Well, there goes my random music thought for the day.

To go back on-topic, I highly recommend Fantasy Project. His music is really obscure, and he only released one album before falling off the face of the Earth, but I've been listening to him since middle school, and his music never gets old Smiley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Ja1tnMKn4

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 11:59:37 PM »

Speaking of Skillet, I would love to hang out with John Cooper for a day. That man has the most cheerful disposition ever, and he is so hilarious. Well, there goes my random music thought for the day.

To go back on-topic, I highly recommend Fantasy Project. His music is really obscure, and he only released one album before falling off the face of the Earth, but I've been listening to him since middle school, and his music never gets old Smiley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Ja1tnMKn4

One of my friend's dad actually met him! My uncle actually did security for Skillet for a bit (I never got free tickets or anything for various reasons) and my friend's dad helped him out one night. He got to hang out with him and share a pizza. I'm freaking jealous of him haha.

I may be getting tired of Skillet's music, but I will never doubt that they are awesome people.  Grin

I wish Ben was still with the band, though. He was an awesome guitarist!

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 02:28:22 AM »

You know some very lucky people Cheesy Everyone in Skillet is just awesome. And I agree, Ben crafted some really tasteful riffs and solos, and his personality is just awesome. Heck, they all have awesome personalities.

...And now all of this talk about Skillet has reminded me how much I love their music. Why did I stop listening to them? Hmm... well, I can fix that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:37:31 AM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 03:57:03 AM »

You know some very lucky people Cheesy Everyone in Skillet is just awesome. And I agree, Ben crafted some really tasteful riffs and solos, and his personality is just awesome. Heck, they all have awesome personalities.

...And now all of this talk about Skillet has reminded me how much I love their music. Why did I stop listening to them? Hmm... well, I can fix that.

Favorite album? Mine's Collide. I love every single song on that thing.  Grin

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 04:15:00 AM »

Favorite album? Mine's Collide. I love every single song on that thing.  Grin

Mine would have to be Awake. The songs on that one were just so strong, both musically and emotionally. Especially Would It Matter. That was my theme song all throughout high school, and it seemed like the lyrics were written entirely for me. Yeah, those were the worst years of my life. lol....

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 04:39:05 AM »

Mine would have to be Awake. The songs on that one were just so strong, both musically and emotionally. Especially Would It Matter. That was my theme song all throughout high school, and it seemed like the lyrics were written entirely for me. Yeah, those were the worst years of my life. lol....

I didn't like most of Awake but the songs I did like were great! And yeah, Would It Matter was one of my many theme songs in high school also. It's an amazing song.

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 04:56:17 AM »

Metal is like the force, it can be good, it can be bad, its just how you use it Wink

I used to be into a lot of European Metal, but now I only really  like a few bands, they include Blind Guardian, Kamelot, and Within Temptation. I still love old Iron Maiden (seen them in concert!) And old Helloween. But I really only get excited for new albums by BG, WT, and Kamelot. I was also a big fan of Dream Theater (seen them in concert too) but I'm still pretty angry with Portnoy for leaving and going to a band I really dislike. (Sorry if I rustled some feathers) I also still listen to Joe Satriani often, but less than I used to.

There are some single albums I still love, like Sanctus Ignis by Adagio, V New mythologhy Suite by Symphony X. Every once in a while I'll play the old nostalgic bands from high school, but not very often.

I've dramatically changed my music tastes. From pretty much all metal in high school, to more alternative, blues, folk, Jazz, and electronic stuff in the last ten years.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 05:11:35 AM »

I didn't like most of Awake but the songs I did like were great! And yeah, Would It Matter was one of my many theme songs in high school also. It's an amazing song.

Indeed Smiley

I've dramatically changed my music tastes. From pretty much all metal in high school, to more alternative, blues, folk, Jazz, and electronic stuff in the last ten years.

The exact same thing happened to me Cheesy I'm more into rock, blues, and baroque now. Well, I've always been a fan of those genres, but it's just that I listen to them a heck of a lot more now.

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 06:24:20 AM »

See I'm kinda the other way round, through most of high school listened to other stuff, didn't get into metal til yr 12 and onwards. My sister went from listening to girly pop during school to German metal after she left. Both of us are in much better places than we were during high school. I think for us it was we felt less peer pressure/ could go our direction, instead of following what our group of friends liked Smiley

each to their own really Smiley

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 06:29:12 AM »

It's funny how many times conversations in this forum switch to the topic of metal music. I think it deserves a spot on the list of Most Talked About Forum Topics Grin

Also, this is absolutely freaking amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWwSsCP6KI

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: