Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Flash’ TV Series Coming From ‘Arrow’ Creators; Movie Still Planned For 2016?  (Read 4076 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »

It certainly isn’t the news that comic book movie fans were hoping for, but The Flash may be making his live-action debut sooner than some might have thought. Despite the lack of any Justice League announcements at Comic-Con 2013 (beyond that Batman vs. Superman movie, of course) Warner Bros. is apparently moving forward with an adapted Flash TV series for The CW.

With writing from DC mainstay Geoff Johns and two out of the three Arrow creators attached – Andrew Kreisberg and Greg Berlanti – the project centering on Central City’s Flash – a character and city alluded to with tongue-in-cheek references in Arrow itself – is being fast-tracked by the network, with Barry Allen to first appear as a recurring character in Arrow‘s Season 2. So what does this mean for a Flash movie?

Obviously, whether this announcement from Deadline comes as good news or horrible depends on your view of Berlanti and Kreisberg’s adaptation work with the character of Green Arrow. Nevertheless, the show’s creators seem intent on bringing some of the DC universe’ best and brightest into the fold, with Barry Allen confirmed to appear as a recurring character, while the creative team prepare a standalone series of his own. CW president Mark Pedowitz explains:

“We’re planning an origin story and we’ll see how it goes. We do want to expand on DC Universe, and we felt this is a very organic way to get there… He may not come in with superpowers.”

How the series would impact the consistently-rumored Flash film wasn’t mentioned, but sources of THR claim that Marc Guggenheim is still working on his movie for a 2016 release, so fans don’t need to panic just yet.

From a serialized drama standpoint, The Flash certainly has the occupation and villains to work in a weekly format; in fact, some might argue that the serialized format of comic books in general is more fitted to a ‘monster of the week’ structure than tentpole blockbusters. As a member of the Central City Police Department’s forensics lab, Barry Allen spends his days picking up the clues everyday criminals leave behind, using superspeed and a bright red jumpsuit to take down villains of a more theatrical flavor.

That blending of C.S.I. and superhero is an odd mix that was apparently at the heart of the proposed Flash movie script, so it’s easy to see how it could work on television. As for the villains… well, any Flash fan will tell you that viewers who found some of Arrow‘s antagonists silly haven’t seen anything yet.

However, Barry Allen has proven to be a strong enough hero to keep audiences invested regardless of the surrounding villains. It’s no surprise that Allen will be the live-action Flash for the time being, but given The CW’s target audience and tone, introducing him as a police scientist (and part of Oliver Queen’s team) may be cause for concern.

We’re not going to criticize Arrow for being, to many, something of a Batman knock-off; Oliver Queen was created to be just that in the comics. But the application of love triangles, ‘frenemies,’ and melodrama to the core story of a masked vigilante are hard to miss – just one way The CW has attempted not only to attract a younger, female audience, but strengthen comparisons to the likes of Smallville. That’s something of a departure from the Se7en and Silence of the Lambs vibe the Green Arrow film script had been seeking.

But while a younger Flash has been moderately successful in the comics (last seen when Barry’s grandson Bart took over the role), that is not the version fans have been demanding. And it is most certainly not the version we feel would work best in a Justice League universe. Even if Warner Bros., under the leadership of Johns, Berlanti and Kreisberg, managed to adapt Barry’s dual identities into a workable CW formula, what would that mean for his feature film appearances?

Sharing a universe across TV and film is not impossible – even Marvel is doing it – but while TV fans will be able to see how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fits into the Avengers universe, those currently watching Arrow, Flash, or potentially Amazon can’t say the same (although Arrow star Stephen Amell has some ideas).

Who knows; Warner Bros. may have some grand plan for bringing their TV and movie universes together, but for the moment, this move will be questioned by fans. While Green Arrow is far too fringe a character to risk building a motion picture, or possibly even a Justice League position around, The Flash is absolutely strong and popular enough to carry a standalone film; a prospect that now seems less likely than ever.

Not to say that a Flash TV series is doomed from the start, but getting disappointed fans to support a TV show – and its much more limited budget – is a challenge for any project, let alone one with a movie franchise riding on it. Of course, we’d love to be proven wrong. After all, Wonder Woman fans were up in arms about the prospect of an Amazon origin story, and look how that turned out.

What is your immediate reaction to this news? Is a Flash TV series a mistake, or could the show’s creators be onto something?

Source: http://screenrant.com/flash-tv-show-series-movie-cw-arrow-season-2-barry-allen/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »

I'm actually pretty excited to hear this news.

The first season of Arrow was actually really good, so much so that my stance on Arrow Vs. Hawkeye has been swayed in favor of "The Emerald Archer."

I think it would be really neat to not have another origin story movie and then have a full on "Scarlett Speedster" movie; Connect the TV and film universes.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:06 PM »

I still remember the original Flash TV show. That one was absolutely brilliant, but because it got mishandled so much, the whole thing collapsed after season one. Which was really stupid. I miss that show Cry I'm so happy that we'll get to see a new one. I have never watched Arrow, but it looks good from what little I have seen.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »

I still remember the original Flash TV show. That one was absolutely brilliant, but because it got mishandled so much, the whole thing collapsed after season one. Which was really stupid. I miss that show Cry I'm so happy that we'll get to see a new one. I have never watched Arrow, but it looks good from what little I have seen.

Arguably one of the best costume adaptations, looks spot on with Silver Age Barry.

It would be cool if they had John Wesley Shipp have a cameo in the show or movie.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:35:32 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 08:26:10 PM »

I agree. It's a great costume.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 08:36:41 PM »

Man... talk about nostalgia... I loved that show!

Plus, it had Mark Hamill as The Trickster...

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:04 PM »

Man... talk about nostalgia... I loved that show!

Plus, it had Mark Hamill as The Trickster...

Who later reprised the role for an episode of the Justice League cartoon.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 12:42:09 AM »

New Details on ‘The Flash’ TV Show & Its Impact on ‘Arrow’ Season 2

Read what Arrow producers Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns said during a conference call on how much we’ll see of Barry Allen, what made the character right for such an undertaking, superspeed, Greg Berlanti’s love of The Flash, and more.

"It really started with Greg Berlanti.  The Flash was his favorite character, as a kid, growing up, and he’s obviously been a strong personal favorite of both Geoff [Johns] and mine.  So, when Greg approached us, one day, and said, “Hey, what would you think, if we did The Flash as a spin-off?,” all of us lit up.  Despite the fact that he’s got superpowers, I think there’s something relatable about Barry, of the big seven of The Justice League.  He got his powers by accident.  He isn’t a God.  He isn’t an alien.  He wasn’t seeking this out.  It came to him.  And his reactions to that feel very human and grounded.  I know that’s a word we use a lot on Arrow, but that’s how it really feels.  Oliver Queen is a very dark and tortured soul, and Barry is not.  I think it will be fun to see these two characters together because they both have distinctly different world views while both caring very deeply about right and wrong."

Sadly, Arrow fans aren’t going to get the fully powered up Barry from the comics, though – or at least not at first. Here’s Kreisberg on Barry Allen, the man.

"When we first meet Barry Allen, he’s just a forensic scientist working for the police department.  He’s just an ordinary man, when we meet him.  As we always do on ‘Arrow’, we try to keep things as grounded and realistic as possible.  That’s how the audience will be introduced to Barry and get to know him, before his life gets a little bit faster."

Kreisberg later added, “He will be The Flash” when answering a follow-up question, the big reveal is how the Arrowverse will handle the existence of super powers. Here’s Johns and Kreisberg on that.

Johns: We looked at it as Barry Allen. When he first appeared back in the ‘50s, he ushered in the Silver Age of DC superheroes. In the same way, he’s going to usher in some new and pretty insane concepts to the Arrow world, but in a very grounded way.

Kreisberg: The important thing is that our characters, who people have really come to know and like, will react to the extraordinary changes to their world, hopefully in a very realistic way. These “powers” won’t be treated as commonplace, on the show. They will be extraordinary events and the world, and our characters in it, will react accordingly.

Speaking of worlds, it seems as though episodes 8 and 9 will have more to do with what Kreisberg called Barry Allen’s “profound impact” on Oliver Queen’s life in Star City and their superhero team-up (Oliver and Barry will absolutely interact) and less to do with setting up his own world in Central City.

For that challenge, Johns, Kreisberg, and Berlanti will get some help from Arrow pilot director David Nutter, who will helm episode 20, which Johns said will show “Barry Allen and The Flash’s world starting to form, in earnest”.

Now, that doesn’t mean that we’ll see Central City or The Mirror Master in what sounds like a backdoor pilot for the spin-off series (sorry David Cassidy), but maybe if means that we’ll get a chance to see The Flash use his superspeed, an SFX challenge that has always hung over speculation about past live-action Flash projects.

Here’s Johns on the thought process behind that particular challenge.

"It will be very different. It will not be blurring around.  It will be very different. [...] There’s also some wonderful visuals in The Flash comic book, currently, that we’re looking at because they’re really inspiring.  Also, there’s a DC animated film, called Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, and there’s some sequences in there. I’ve never seen super-speed like that before, especially towards the end.  We’re getting inspired by every incarnation of The Flash, everywhere, and beyond that."

So, superspeed, a confirmed superhero team-up, and the presence of Johns at the inception of an off-shoot of what has thus far been a satisfying (though not seamlessly faithful) bridge from comics to live action: is it time for Flash fans to start getting cautiously optimistic about this project and about the potential for DC’s now suddenly fertile TV universe?

Source: http://screenrant.com/flash-tv-show-series-story-origin-powers-speed-arrow-season-2-crossover

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: