Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Doctor Who’: Peter Capaldi Revealed as Twelfth Doctor – What Do You Think?  (Read 2836 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: August 04, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »

***SPOILER'S AHEAD***

A new Doctor has been found and, now, has finally been revealed. After much speculation as to who would replace Matt Smith in the iconic role, famed Scottish actor Peter Capaldi was revealed on Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor as the next actor to become the Doctor. Should fans be excited to have an older Doctor?

Capaldi, who starred in the spin-off series’ Torchwood: Children of Men, was actually on the short list of actors many thought might fill the role. In the UK, he’s most famously known as the star of the long-running comedy series The Thicke of It, which is in the vein of HBO’s Veep. Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurtiwtz was at one time enlisted to create an American adaptation.

Of course, fans aren’t likely going to have issue with a well-known comedic actor stepping in to the legendary role; it’ll likely be his age. Capaldi, who is 55, isn’t the oldest actor the play the Doctor but… not by much. William Hartnell, who played the First Doctor at age 55, is still the oldest actor to play the character, besting Capaldi by just a few months. But will the switch from Matt Smith, the youngest actor to play the role, to Capaldi appease the series’ ever growing fanbase?

Although a few might think it’s odd to have an older actor step in to the role of the Doctor – especially with its young audience – there are more than enough reasons to be excited about what’s to come, and what Capaldi can bring to the role. With the younger Smith, grand adventures of exploration is what best fits the character. Sure, Smith can deliver a dramatic monologue like the best of them, but the overall series was at its best when he was able to take advantage of his youthful exuberance.

With Capaldi stepping in to the role, Moffat will be able to make the Doctor more introspective, more aware of his actions. And since age equals experience, audiences are more likely to believe it, thus allowing Moffat to more earnestly explore the weighted past of everyone’s favorite Time Lord without having to worry about writing “run, you clever boy” all too often. And after this season, perhaps a change will be good for the series overall.

In Doctor Who season 7, though it had quite a few fantastic, standalone episodes, the overall story-arc was weak, and the use of editing tricked audiences into believing that answers to long-standing questions were going to come in the next episode (and they never did). So while some may not yet be on board with Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, everyone should be excited about the fact that Moffat and Co. have a new muse, allowing them to take the character in many new directions that they previously couldn’t.

Still, fans of Smith have the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary and the Doctor Who Christmas Special left, allowing everyone some time to get used to the fact that he will no longer be on the series. And though no one really knows what to expect from the upcoming, final adventures with the Doctor, Moffat surely won’t disappoint.

Doctor Who returns for its 50th Anniversary Special on November 23

Source: http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-season-8-peter-capaldi-12/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 10:55:59 PM »

I was hoping more for a Doctor in his mid to late 30's so you could combine youth with experience. I didn't want an older Doctor like Peter is.  That being said, I am going to reserve judgement until I actually see his Doctor in action next year.  John Pertwee was also an older Doctor and I'm a big fan of his Third Doctor so I will give Peter Capaldi a chance at the role before I make a judgment on him. 

I have to admit, the casting is a different direction from where I thought Steve Moffat would go, Steve is good at doing that. Tongue

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »

He's the same age Hartnell was when he played the first Doctor.  55 years young.  I think it'll continue to be an exceptional show.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:14:31 AM »

There are only two Doctor that I was not found of, Colin Baker and William Hartnell.  I just never got into either one really.  I like all of the others.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:59:41 AM »

I suspect that there were many considerations...including honoring the first Doctor, looking at this being the last, etc.

But I also am not all that excited by the choice.

I do not think that all things young are good, so the next doctor need not be terribly young but not looking like he needs to regenerate might have been a thought...best thought before the choosing...but I am a fan of the show and I am sure he will be a fine Dr...hopefully not too wonky or zany just for celery in the jacket sake.

And oh god please, no more ugly frumpy women traveling friends...we have an old Dr...please please find a cutie to balance the equation!

Amy Pond was about the sweetest piece of hard candy that there ever was...this...this would be a good direction to follow...more Amy...much...much less...of the ugly step-sister...

...sigh...

Light side points please Smiley

BenPass
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »

Aww...I feel like the only person excited about 12! Granted, it could be because I can't stand Matt Smith, and it could be that the first announcement pic I saw of him, he was wearing the same facial hair that I sported for years...either way, I'm really excited to see him in the role!

And yes, more Amy!

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

He definitely has the look of a grizzled Tennant.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

He definitely has the look of a grizzled Tennant.

Very much my thinking.

Capaldi is a fantastic actor, and I think it's going to be fascinating to see how he takes on the role. The new series has done a good job of differentiating between the scarred, bitter Nine, the still scarred but also hopeful Ten and the effervescent, emotional Eleven. I can't see Capaldi being anyone's big brother - more the infuriating, know-it-all uncle...

Hmm. For some reason I'm wondering what would happen if a Blackadder was a Time Lord...

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »

Hmm. For some reason I'm wondering what would happen if a Blackadder was a Time Lord...

It would amount to quite possibly the funniest Doctor Who spoof ever.

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »

I would LOVE to see that!  He would probably be a selfish timelord Tongue

Here is Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor though in a spoof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:37:57 PM »

I would LOVE to see that!  He would probably be a selfish timelord Tongue

Here is Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor though in a spoof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

One of my favorite Dr Who episodes for sure!

Grin

Light side points please Smiley

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

For two months, Doctor Who fans waited, occupying their time in the lush fields of speculation and debate, while wondering who the next Doctor would be – and whether that choice should and would be the first Doctor of a different race or a different gender.

In the end, Peter Capaldi was the choice. An eminently talented 55 year old Scottish actor who, physically, has a lot in common with his 11 predecessors. Despite his appearance, and despite the fact that it is quite hard to emphatically judge such things, it seems as though the choice of Capaldi has been received with a solid amount of goodwill, but that doesn’t mean that the debate about the feasibility of a female Doctor has gone quiet. Now Steven Moffat is weighing in on why he decided not to pick a woman as the last of the Time Lords this time around.

Here’s the Doctor Who showrunner from an interview earlier today.

"“It didn’t feel right to me, right now. I didn’t feel enough people wanted it [...] Oddly enough most people who said they were dead against it – and I know I’ll get into trouble for saying this – were women [...] [They were] saying, ‘No, no, don’t make him a woman!’”"

Living in the internet bubble universe makes it easy to recount, one by one, erudite arguments in favor of a female Doctor – and the throngs of people, including Dame Helen Mirren, who wanted it to happen. While it’s unclear where exactly Moffat was getting his info, he must not have heard a deafening buzz coming from those who were hoping for a female Doctor. Maybe Moffat, and the BBC, needed to see overwhelming support to feel as if such a profound shift would be well-received.

Is that fair? Some will say yes, that Moffat has a responsibility to keep the show alive and to mitigate risk, but to others, breaking ground is never easy and rarely popular. How ever you come down on Moffat’s remarks and his reasons for not choosing a female time lord, though, it’s worth noting that this debate has never made as much headway as it did this time around – maybe next round we’ll actually see the TARDIS fly right through that glass ceiling.

Source: http://screenrant.com/female-12-doctor-who-steven-moffat/

MolecularAuto80
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »

I liked the 9th a lot... I guess no more "FANTASTIC!" anymore...

Aeon v2 LE Guardian Blue

Give me light side points so we can make better cookies than the Empire!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: