Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Just got my first motorcycle!  (Read 9934 times)
AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 65

« on: August 08, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »

I've been away from the forums for a bit recently, I've been training for a big rock climbing trip and organizing my self for returning to school soon after being in the work force for 4 years. In that time me and my wife decided to start riding, one because it would be fun, two because it will save us a good deal of money for our daily commutes. We are doing our Motorcycle safety course next week and then we will be able to get our licence in 30 days. We didn't want to buy new where we are just starting out so we kept am eye on Kijiji and other classified ad sites. We managed to get a great deal on a bike for under $2000.

Here it is:
2008 Honda Rebel 250.

I consider it a god deal because it is a less than 7 year old bike with less than 4000 miles(its an american bike so the gauges read in miles not km) on it. immaculate condition, never dropped and it runs as if it was brand new!

We plan on getting a second bike as soon as the right deal comes up.

Im very excited for this next chapter!

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 141

only the force, nothing more, nothing less

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »

sweet bike man.. nice choice... saddly, i would post a pic of my bike... but its a slow scooter... (((NOT KOOL AT ALL.... even IF i only spend 5$ a week in gas going around town and to&from work... EVERYone hate me on the road.)))  it was only 3,500 brand new, and requires no license to drive it.. needed transport at the time, and that was the most affordable.. ill have it paid off in another year for sure.. then ill be looking at a new REAL bike... thinking something much like your honda...

i may not have a real motorcycle.. but i know the feeling of the being on 2 wheels on the road.. even at 38mph, it still feels like freedom

ride on.. ride on

AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »

sweet bike man.. nice choice... saddly, i would post a pic of my bike... but its a slow scooter... (((NOT KOOL AT ALL.... even IF i only spend 5$ a week in gas going around town and to&from work... EVERYone hate me on the road.)))  it was only 3,500 brand new, and requires no license to drive it.. needed transport at the time, and that was the most affordable.. ill have it paid off in another year for sure.. then ill be looking at a new REAL bike... thinking something much like your honda...

i may not have a real motorcycle.. but i know the feeling of the being on 2 wheels on the road.. even at 38mph, it still feels like freedom

ride on.. ride on

Based on the specs the rebel should get about 65mpg. I had a choice between that, a 2004 ninja 250, or a 2000 yxz600. Since both of the others are sport bikes the decision was easy. My helmet and gloves should be in tomorrow so then i should be able to take her out. I just have to be subtle until i get my licence.

As for having a scooter. Nothing wrong with it IMO, it gets you around and its affordable. Thats all that matters in the end.

My father picked up a honda goldwing 1100 so once he moves on to that i will take over his red Sazuki Marauder 250 and feel like a sith aha.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:09:54 AM »

Congratulations. And my respect for having everything in a proper way. I' for myself, didn't finish any safety courses, but taught myself to ride through trial and error. Just bought at first a scooter, than (when I mastered that) a real bike, and tried not to crash.

A fair warnings: crashes and falls WILL happen, no matter if you underwent that course or not. Who doesn't fall, doesn't ride.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »

Congratulations. And my respect for having everything in a proper way. I' for myself, didn't finish any safety courses, but taught myself to ride through trial and error. Just bought at first a scooter, than (when I mastered that) a real bike, and tried not to crash.

A fair warnings: crashes and falls WILL happen, no matter if you underwent that course or not. Who doesn't fall, doesn't ride.

Thanks for the warning, and my props for being self thaught. As an avid rock climber taking falls is a huge part of my life so as different as riding is i still accept the fact that falls will happen

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »

Yes, but the biker's fall is different from the climber's one. When you climb and fall, it's the fall itself that does the damage. When you ride and fall, it's your inertia scraping you at the road, AT LEAST (add the weight of the bike falling on your leg, and traffic to the mix if you're unlucky), and fall from height is a small and fairly nonthreatening contributor to damage.

This is not a sport bike, so you probably won't want to wear stormtrooper armor sport bike protection, but some kind of protective gear is highly adviced. At the very least you should have helmet, thick leather clothing, gloves and boots. Especially helmet and gloves, because your head and your wrists are the first body parts to be scraped off during the fall.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:17:22 AM by Rina Ascura » Logged

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »

ride on.. ride on

BTW, you can exchange your scooter for a 50cc minichop. The cost is the same. Don't know if you have Chinese Dadyw Regal Raptors, but a Honda Jazz must be available worldwide. It's only difference from a "real" motorcycle is anemic engine: the controls and appearance are all adult.

AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

I have my boots and armored leather jacket. My helmet and gloves are waiting in my mailbox for when i get off work today. Its almost as exciting as having a new ultrasaber there.  7 more days and i will be riding. Cannot wait!

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:16:06 PM »

I understand you. It's a sensation unlike any other. And I have yet to wait for entire winter until I save for my new one.

AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »

I understand you. It's a sensation unlike any other. And I have yet to wait for entire winter until I save for my new one.

What bike are you looking at?

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »

An Ural or a Dnieper in good condition. If not that, some Chinese model, perhaps DD250 Regal Raptor.

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 05:31:45 AM »

You're going to want a bigger bike soon! lol.

250 is a great starter bike. I highly recommend them. I started on a 750cc Honda Shadow... She's still with me today, and I love her, but, umm... I want a bigger bike already lol.

I'm torn, I don't want to drop a lot of money, but I really want the new Harley Nightrod. Those are about $15,000 which is a huge expense for me... Plus I want to get the family a new car... which I could buy for about twice what the bike costs... lol... Maybe I'll just get rich and buy both lol.

Congrats on the bike though, once you ride, you'll never prefer anything else.

AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 11:12:30 AM »

We actually are looking at another bike already so we can ride together without borrowing my fathers Maurader. Im interested in a shadow or a vstar. Ill just keep an eye out for a good deal and hope one turns up. I had a chance on a 2005  yamaha yxz600 sport bike for $1700 but thats not my style at all

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 12:10:23 AM »

As many people will tell you, it ain't what you ride, it's that you ride that counts...

Congrats on getting into the wind!

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

AlthaxX
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »

As many people will tell you, it ain't what you ride, it's that you ride that counts...

Congrats on getting into the wind!

i agree, we have our second bike now, we got a great deal too. $1400 for a 2010 Honda CBR 125r mint condition witho nly 126km on it. i will post a pic later.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: