Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why Ultron is in ‘Avengers 2′ Instead of the ‘Ant-Man’ Movie  (Read 3712 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: August 20, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

It’s ironic that Marvel Studios has been long heralded as the comic book movie studio that fans deserve – primarily because of the perception amongst said “fans” that Marvel would always honor its own characters and canon in the way that other studios – like Fox and Sony – would not.

Now, with Marvel Phase Two, we are seeing some radical departures from traditional Marvel comic book canon (see: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3) – and that deviation will continue all the way through The Avengers: Age of Ultron, the culminating chapter of Phase Two and immediate predecessor to Edgar Wright’s Ant-Man movie, which will kick off Marvel Phase Three in fall of 2015. As many Marvel fanboys have noticed, that ordering - Avengers 2 before Ant-Man - has been more than a little problematic, where canon is concerned.

In the comics, Ultron – the Skynet-style artificial intelligence/robot that often terrorizes The Avengers – was created by scientist Hank Pym, the alter-ego of Ant-Man. It’s still unclear whether or not Hank Pym will be introduced in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, but we do know that Ultron will be getting a (no pun) retooled origin story, with speculation leaning toward Tony Stark’s A.I. system Jarvis going rogue and creating the villain (in some form or fashion).

This is, as stated, a bold deviation from Marvel canon – one that will inevitably leave some fans upset – which is why Ant-Man writer/director Edgar Wright discussed the reasoning for keeping Ultron’s origin out of Hank Pym’s movie, while speaking with Huffpo:

"[Ultron] was never in my script. Because even just to sort of set up what Ant-Man does is enough for one movie. It’s why I think “Iron Man” is extremely successful because it keeps it really simple. You have one sort of — the villain comes from the hero’s technology. It’s simple. So I think why that film really works and why, sometimes, superhero films fail — or they have mixed results — because they have to set up a hero and a villain at the same time. And that’s really tough. And sometimes it’s unbalanced.

You know, when I was younger I used to love Tim Burton’s “Batman.” I was like 15 and even then I was aware, “This is really the Joker’s film.” It’s like, the Joker just takes over and Batman, you really don’t learn too much about him. Comics haveyears to explain this stuff and in a movie you have to focus on one thing. So it’s about kind of streamlining, I think. Some of the most successful origin films actually have a narrower focus. You cannot put 50 years of the Marvel universe into a movie. It’s impossible."

With that mind-state, Wright seems to feel extra fortunate that his subject is Ant-Man, a superhero that is far from mainstream in the minds of casual moviegoers:

"I think there’s something in that it’s a lesser known character, there’s hopefully more license. For the one percent of people who are like, “Wait, Hank Pym would never do that!” there’s 99 percent going, “Who’s Hank Pym?” So, to me, the source material is great but it also frees you up to be like: I’m going to make a movie. The movie is not going to represent 50 years of Marvel comics because that’s impossible. But I’m going to make a 100 minute movie — or 110 minutes [laughs]."

Want to know what changes executives tried to make with Scott Pilgrim, or what Wright has done with his latest film, The World’s End? Then read the full interview.

Meanwhile, how do you feel about the changes being made to the Ultron and Hank Pym characters? Do you feel betrayed by Marvel, or are they just doing what they need to do to make successful and entertaining films? Let us know in the comments.

The Avengers: Age of Ultron Will be in theaters on May 1, 2015; Ant-Man on November 6, 2015

Source: http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-age-ultron-ant-man-movie-origin-discussion/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »

Personally, I don't care about changes. In fact, I love it when they happen. It gets boring seeing the same stuff over and over again. The way I see it, if you want total comic book accuracy then go read the dang comics.

There has been one change that angered me (Deadpool in Wolverine Origins), but other than that I welcome everything. Yay creativity!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »

Personally, I don't care about changes. In fact, I love it when they happen. It gets boring seeing the same stuff over and over again. The way I see it, if you want total comic book accuracy then go read the dang comics.

There has been one change that angered me (Deadpool in Wolverine Origins), but other than that I welcome everything. Yay creativity!

Precisely, they're just making their own continuity.

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »

Yeah, who is Hank Pym? And who is Ultron? LOL. This is going to be fun.

Also...

This suit looks awesome.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:22:23 AM »

I really like Hank Pym aka Ant man-Giant Man. He's one of my favorite Marvel "lesser characters" because he is in the center of almost everything to do with the Avengers. Really can't wait to see this movie, and I hope Wasp is in there too! She's my favorite female Avenger, btw. 

Also, when do we get to see the Vision, Black Panther, Falcon, Iron Fist, Captain Marvel (the alien, not the greek DC one), Miss Marvel, and Luke "Power Man" Cage in the Avengers Cineverse? Guess we get no Kang the Konqueror as a villain either, lol I'm cool with that!

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:34:32 AM »

I really like Hank Pym aka Ant man-Giant Man. He's one of my favorite Marvel "lesser characters" because he is in the center of almost everything to do with the Avengers. Really can't wait to see this movie, and I hope Wasp is in there too! She's my favorite female Avenger, btw. 

Also, when do we get to see the Vision, Black Panther, Falcon, Iron Fist, Captain Marvel (the alien, not the greek DC one), Miss Marvel, and Luke "Power Man" Cage in the Avengers Cineverse? Guess we get no Kang the Konqueror as a villain either, lol I'm cool with that!

There are two unnamed films Marvel has slated, both of which are heavily speculated to be Doctor Strange and Black Panther; Falcon will be in CA: Winter Soldier.

Luke Cage is also heavily speculated to be in the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D television series.

Seeing as how Miss Marvel has been rebranded Captain Marvel that is what we will probably see and if GotG does well there is a chance we will see Captain Marvel and Nova in later films.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:41:43 AM »

There are two unnamed films Marvel has slated, both of which are heavily speculated to be Doctor Strange and Black Panther; Falcon will be in CA: Winter Soldier.

Luke Cage is also heavily speculated to be in the upcoming Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D television series.

Seeing as how Miss Marvel has been rebranded Captain Marvel that is what we will probably see and if GotG does well there is a chance we will see Captain Marvel and Nova in later films.

Cool!

Captain Marvel should belong to DC though.  Cry

But, cool! I've loved Black Panther and Doctor Strange ever since I've played as them in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »

Cool!

Captain Marvel should belong to DC though.  Cry

But, cool! I've loved Black Panther and Doctor Strange ever since I've played as them in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance!

Over there he is officially renamed Shazam.

IDK why they made the change, but it's hard not to see a connection between both the characters and the need to flesh it out.

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »

IDK why they made the change, but it's hard not to see a connection between both the characters and the need to flesh it out.

Haha I know but... he had it first! Seriously he did. DC Captain Marvel first appeared in 1939, while Marvel Captain Marvel first appeared in 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_%28DC_Comics%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_%28Marvel_Comics%29

Granted, his first DC appearance was in 1972, but still.

Oh well, Shazam's a pretty cool name.

Phyrior
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

Lux et Nox; Humanitus anceps

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:59 PM »

Wrong.

Billy Batson/Captain Marvel was never named 'Shazam'. Shazam was the name of the Wizard who gives BB his powers. The calling out of that word is invoking said power and/or releasing it.

Why is it used in most Captain Marvel media?

Easy, Marvel 'Timely' Comics took up the copyright in the lull between -the- Captain Marvel comics, which hadn't been published since Fawcett Publications gave up the rights of the character to Detective Comics due to the 'he's a red Superman! Copyright infringement!' lawsuit.

So Marvel effectively held the copyright hostage all this time, originally to get the popularity of the original big red cheese's followers (he was more popular than superman, remember,) and are now keeping it because of their own lucky thunderbolt, Miss Marvel.

[EDIT]

Oh, and that reminds. Marvel now owns some of Image comics' copyrights, one of which -was- believed to be Miracle Man. Who? Easy, the European 'reprint' of Fawcett's original Captain Marvel character. There was a huge copyright debacle between Image and Eclipse, I don't know how that's yet been decided, but in 2009 Joe Quesada (yes, One More Day Quesada) declared Marvel had the full rights to the character...

Ain't comics GRAND? *sigh*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:11:14 PM by Phyrior » Logged

"There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.  /  There is no fear; there is power.
  I am the heart of the Force.  /  I am the revealing fire of light.  /  I am the mystery of darkness.
  In balance with chaos and harmony,  /  Immortal in the Force.''  ―The Je'daii Code

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »

That was awesome.  Cheesy

Phyrior
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

Lux et Nox; Humanitus anceps

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »

That was awesome.  Cheesy

What, me on a tirade about comic book copyright history mucking around with the history of the characters?  Roll Eyes

"There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.  /  There is no fear; there is power.
  I am the heart of the Force.  /  I am the revealing fire of light.  /  I am the mystery of darkness.
  In balance with chaos and harmony,  /  Immortal in the Force.''  ―The Je'daii Code

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: