Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Ben Affleck is the new Batman; ‘Superman vs. Batman’ Release Date Revealed  (Read 13779 times)
Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »

Ben Affleck as Batman?

My thoughts exactly.  Point for using Firefly.  

There are very few movies that I sincerely don't like.  Unfortunately, Daredevil is one of them.  But I also agree with Kham.  The actor is only part of the equation.  So I'm on the fence.  I'm not a fan of Affleck, but I'm willing to give him a shot.  

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »

I don't know that I have ever seen a movie with Affleck, but I know I have never seen a bad Batman/Bruce Wayne.  Batman and Robin was a bad movie but Clooney was good so he still counts.  I'm sure Affleck will be fine in the role.  The only question for me is how he will compare to Christian Bale's awesomeness. 

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »

I imagine Kevin Smith screaming like a fangirl, "I'm best friends with Batman!"  Cheesy

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »

And despite his fame, Affleck isn’t famous for a single role among mass audiences

Bull.

He was da bomb in Phantoms, yo!

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 07:57:17 PM »

Bull.

He was da bomb in Phantoms, yo!

LMAO!

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing that second article, Kham. I definitely agree with it.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »

In an official press release from Warner Bros. studio, producer Greg Silverman expressed his confidence in Affleck’s ability to step into the fan-favorite role as well as explore new elements of Batman/Bruce Wayne:

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Fellow Warner Bros. executive Sue Kroll was equally enthusiastic – acknowledging that Batman isn’t just a role, Affleck is joining a long legacy of talented actors that have portrayed Batman onscreen.

“We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Even though Kroll doesn’t namedrop any of the previous Bat-men, it’s sometimes easy to forget that, while Christian Bale is certainly the most recent (and arguably one of the best) actors to wear the Batsuit, the part has attracted a long list of A-Listers and cult favorites over the years, including Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, and George Clooney on the big screen, Adam West, Robert Lowrey, and Lewis G. Wilson for TV, along with voice-work from Kevin Conroy (and many others).

So how will the new version of Batman fit among countless other quality iterations and beloved performances? In the press release, director Zack Snyder teased a wise, charming, and scarred Caped Crusader:

“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Still, it’s easy to understand why certain fans are having a hard time picturing Affleck in the role; but, at least in some cases, that might be because we’re trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Christian Bale was great for Nolan’s trilogy and he put his stamp on the role. Though, this is a new take on the character (set in Snyder’s Superman world) and, as a result, there’s also reason to be optimistic that Affleck can deliver a “layered portrayal” – delivering a Batman that is just as good, albeit admittedly different, than the most recent installment.

The notion that this Bruce Wayne will be a seasoned crime fighter and wiser than Superman certainly indicates that writer David S. Goyer is planning for some enticing altercations between the two heroes – as well as thematic juxtapositions that will help flesh out both the Man of Steel and the Caped Crusader while DC builds a cinematic shared universe.

That said, there’s still a lot we do not know, and with a set release date or July 17, 2015, Warner Bros. has plenty of time to convince (or prove correct) any skeptics. Now, if only we knew who the filmmakers had in mind for Lex Luthor.

Source: http://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-batman-superman-casting-details-zack-snyder/

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

I hate over powered characters so much ... Superman ... Is the embodiment of everything I hate about it. I love Batman but superman sucks

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »

Just read a Superman comic, he gets the ever living Krypton beat out of him in nearly every book; especially during this New 52 run.

The only other earth based character that can actually go toe to toe (by that I mean no armor, straight fists to the face) with Supes, is Wonder woman.

Other than that, of course most are going to have an affinity for the Human character when you realize Bats is deep in the street and is only flesh and blood; not an alien with god like abilities.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:03 PM »

I wonder what would happen if they put Wonder Woman in Man of Steel 3. I think that would be a pretty neat and tidy package; three movies, three superheroes, three major hitters that can totally act as a springboard for... I don't know what should come next. Just dive straight into Justice League, maybe?

I mean we don't really need an origin movie for Wonder Woman. She's pretty popular, and they can just give her a good bit of backstory in MoS 3. Done and done.

Or maybe MoS should just continue with the Batman, Superman relationship, then introduce her towards the end. Or just... I don't know.

Too many possibilities. It makes Hobbie's head spin.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »

Too many possibilities. It makes Hobbie's head spin.

Yeah, don't go there, you'll get lost in the slipstream.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »

Yeah, don't go there, you'll get lost in the slipstream.

That doesn't sound very fun.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 04:01:10 AM »

I'll support Daredevil's decision to jump into the batcave. After all, he was famous for being a comic book writer in Chasing Amy & J&SB Strike Back, now he gets to be Bluntman, I mean Batman. Not the hemp knight!

Too many K. Smith jokes! lol

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 05:00:33 AM »

Beautiful.

+1

I'll steal this from a user on ScreenRant:

"1988: Michael Keaton as Batman? Beatlejuice? BATMAN IS DOOMED.
2004: Bale as Batman? That murderer from that snuff film? BATMAN IS DOOMED.
2007: Heath Ledger as Joker? The pretty boy? BATMAN IS DOOMED.
2013: Ben Affleck is batman? Daredevil? BATMAN IS DOOMED.

Sometimes things never change."

That line signifies it is time for my rant.  Wink

I'm starting to not care who the actors are because at the end of the day the direction and script have more to do with wether a move is brilliant or crap.

Great story telling is all I want.

While MoS has it faults (LIKE EVERY COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION), it was still a solid Superman movie.

I mean for Force sake! it was basically Superman: Year One, the same as Batman Begins; only Bruce is an alien with godlike abilities.

POINT! Cheesy that got me laughing a lot.  Personally I think Josh Brolin would have been an amazing Batman.  Ben Affleck?  I honestly think he can do it.  But then again, he's a Boston boy and I always gotta root for him as long as Jay-lo isn't involved lol.  

add to that, Bats being the seasoned crime investigator teaching and mentoring to Boyscout.  Yeah, that can definitely work.   The thing I love about the two of them:
Superman is the persona for Clark Kent
however
Bruce Wayne is the persona for Batman

add that to the history point noted in my quote, yeah.  I think we'll be fine.  Everything is proceeding as it should then! Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:03:36 AM by GrumpyBadger » Logged

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »

just found this on Facebook, thought it really relevant to all of this too.  It's by "Harley's Joker"
"On Ben Affleck. (And some of his preceding Bat-men)

If you plan to start reading this, finish it. This is not for the light readers and casual onlookers. Know that now.
For a very steady twenty-four hours I have received a stream of private messages and posts on my wall all asking the same thing. Here’s the honest answer that we all must accept from everyone: we’ll have to wait and see.
I’ve been an actor for over a dozen years, and a writer and director for the latter half of that time. I am a consummate film fanatic and compulsively detailed observer of the craft. Let me tell you something that for some reason is forgotten by so many. The script, direction and editing of a film will make it or break it and is responsible for ninety percent of your experience. Yet somehow the actors get blamed so often for a film being bad simply because they’re the face you see and therefore with whom you associate your experience. Have you ever noticed how when an actor was “amazing” in something, generally (not always) it’s also a good movie? And when they’re “terrible”, generally (not always) it’s a bad movie? Let this sink in.
Everything before this point in this article is fact. Everything from here on out is opinion, and strictly so. You will not agree with everything I say. I am sorry if I offend you. I will use my opinions of these following examples to emphasize and support the above facts.
Let’s take for example George Clooney. Before we recall his time as the caped crusader, let’s reflect on his career as an actor. He’s good. I personally think he’s very good. If one were to imagine a world where the film “Batman and Robin” never existed, and were then asked to cast an actor as an older Batman/Bruce Wayne, there is no doubt in my mind one would consider George for the part. Acting chops and marketability aside look at him for Pete’s sake. He looks like Bruce Wayne head to toe. Now let’s put him in a film with an absolutely mind numbingly horrible script and an appallingly gaudy and tacky art direction, and you have Batnipples McGee verses the blue Terminator. Was it George’s fault? No. Is he blamed daily for the last sixteen years? Yes.
Christian Bale’s performance as a flat, emotionless, two dimensional Bruce Wayne with an airy screaming whisper when cowled is easily masked by the fact that Christopher Nolan is an extraordinarily technically proficient writer and director. The man knows how to craft a film, this cannot be denied. I’m in the camp of those who thought “The Dark Knight Rises” wasn't very good, however it’s two predecessors were. “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight” are well scripted, well directed, well edited pieces of work that made a ton of money and people the world over love. They love this film SO much in fact that they don’t even realize how mediocre, borderline terrible Christian Bale is as Batman.
What’s my point? Most of how Mr. Affleck does depends on the story and the filmmakers abilities to tell it. Had he been the age he is now in 1997 and filled the black boots in “Batman and Robin”, we’d think he’s terrible. Flip the coin and cast him in “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight”, we might find him irreplaceable.
On a separate line of thinking: My favorite live action Batman has always been Michael Keaton. I personally think he played the character the best by far, and many people will agree with this sentiment. However (and most of you are too young to remember this) when it was announced that this short, lean, not traditionally handsome comedic actor (who started out doing standup) was going to play the Dark Knight people lost their freaking minds. They were later quite mistaken. Now we have a tall, physically fit, handsome dramatic actor with a very versatile resume cast in the role. Do you really think he doesn’t deserve a chance to shut us all up?
I joined the masses in an anarchist uproar six years ago when I learned the Australian kid from “Ten Things I Hate About You” was going to be playing the Joker. What in heaven’s name were they thinking? This was preposterous. One year later I sat in a dark, crowded movie theatre swallowing my words. He was brilliant.
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, Ben Affleck has been cast as Bruce Wayne, and as I’ve said before, we’ll just have to wait and see."

personally, I didn't like Christian Bale as Bats.  I thought he did "meh, okay" as Bruce.  But sucked as the bat.  He's just physical and that worked well.  But honestly, there are other actors that would have done just as well as Bats for Nolan.  It was Nolan's writing and the dynamics of those movies -Hans Zimmer anyone?  seriously, his music is our new Bats.  Try watching them on mute with just subtitles lol.  It's like Jaws without John Williams.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: