Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Ben Affleck is the new Batman; ‘Superman vs. Batman’ Release Date Revealed  (Read 13807 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »

That was most excellent Cheesy Thanks for sharing. Although, next time, could you please add some spaces between paragraphs? It was a bit overwhelming to read.

Also, Micheal Keaton is my favorite live-action Batman as well. Always has been, and maybe always will be. Who knows. However I think Christian Bale was great as well. Kevin Conroy will still be THE Batman in my mind though. I grew up listening to that amazing voice of his.

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »

That was most excellent Cheesy Thanks for sharing. Although, next time, could you please add some spaces between paragraphs? It was a bit overwhelming to read.

Also, Micheal Keaton is my favorite live-action Batman as well. Always has been, and maybe always will be. Who knows. However I think Christian Bale was great as well. Kevin Conroy will still be THE Batman in my mind though. I grew up listening to that amazing voice of his.

My two favorites are Micheal Keaton and Kevin Conroy as well, they both really seemed to understand the character.

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 34

if I earn any, lightside points if you please

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »

sorry about that, yeah, I really should have.  On Facebook it was a much easier read now looking at it.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »

just found this on Facebook, thought it really relevant to all of this too.  It's by "Harley's Joker"
"On Ben Affleck. (And some of his preceding Bat-men)

If you plan to start reading this, finish it. This is not for the light readers and casual onlookers. Know that now.
For a very steady twenty-four hours I have received a stream of private messages and posts on my wall all asking the same thing. Here’s the honest answer that we all must accept from everyone: we’ll have to wait and see.
I’ve been an actor for over a dozen years, and a writer and director for the latter half of that time. I am a consummate film fanatic and compulsively detailed observer of the craft. Let me tell you something that for some reason is forgotten by so many. The script, direction and editing of a film will make it or break it and is responsible for ninety percent of your experience. Yet somehow the actors get blamed so often for a film being bad simply because they’re the face you see and therefore with whom you associate your experience. Have you ever noticed how when an actor was “amazing” in something, generally (not always) it’s also a good movie? And when they’re “terrible”, generally (not always) it’s a bad movie? Let this sink in.
Everything before this point in this article is fact. Everything from here on out is opinion, and strictly so. You will not agree with everything I say. I am sorry if I offend you. I will use my opinions of these following examples to emphasize and support the above facts.
Let’s take for example George Clooney. Before we recall his time as the caped crusader, let’s reflect on his career as an actor. He’s good. I personally think he’s very good. If one were to imagine a world where the film “Batman and Robin” never existed, and were then asked to cast an actor as an older Batman/Bruce Wayne, there is no doubt in my mind one would consider George for the part. Acting chops and marketability aside look at him for Pete’s sake. He looks like Bruce Wayne head to toe. Now let’s put him in a film with an absolutely mind numbingly horrible script and an appallingly gaudy and tacky art direction, and you have Batnipples McGee verses the blue Terminator. Was it George’s fault? No. Is he blamed daily for the last sixteen years? Yes.
Christian Bale’s performance as a flat, emotionless, two dimensional Bruce Wayne with an airy screaming whisper when cowled is easily masked by the fact that Christopher Nolan is an extraordinarily technically proficient writer and director. The man knows how to craft a film, this cannot be denied. I’m in the camp of those who thought “The Dark Knight Rises” wasn't very good, however it’s two predecessors were. “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight” are well scripted, well directed, well edited pieces of work that made a ton of money and people the world over love. They love this film SO much in fact that they don’t even realize how mediocre, borderline terrible Christian Bale is as Batman.
What’s my point? Most of how Mr. Affleck does depends on the story and the filmmakers abilities to tell it. Had he been the age he is now in 1997 and filled the black boots in “Batman and Robin”, we’d think he’s terrible. Flip the coin and cast him in “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight”, we might find him irreplaceable.
On a separate line of thinking: My favorite live action Batman has always been Michael Keaton. I personally think he played the character the best by far, and many people will agree with this sentiment. However (and most of you are too young to remember this) when it was announced that this short, lean, not traditionally handsome comedic actor (who started out doing standup) was going to play the Dark Knight people lost their freaking minds. They were later quite mistaken. Now we have a tall, physically fit, handsome dramatic actor with a very versatile resume cast in the role. Do you really think he doesn’t deserve a chance to shut us all up?
I joined the masses in an anarchist uproar six years ago when I learned the Australian kid from “Ten Things I Hate About You” was going to be playing the Joker. What in heaven’s name were they thinking? This was preposterous. One year later I sat in a dark, crowded movie theatre swallowing my words. He was brilliant.
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages, Ben Affleck has been cast as Bruce Wayne, and as I’ve said before, we’ll just have to wait and see."

personally, I didn't like Christian Bale as Bats.  I thought he did "meh, okay" as Bruce.  But sucked as the bat.  He's just physical and that worked well.  But honestly, there are other actors that would have done just as well as Bats for Nolan.  It was Nolan's writing and the dynamics of those movies -Hans Zimmer anyone?  seriously, his music is our new Bats.  Try watching them on mute with just subtitles lol.  It's like Jaws without John Williams.

IDK where you came from Grumps, but I love you.

Kevin Conroy will still be THE Batman in my mind though. I grew up listening to that amazing voice of his.

All of the yes.

Him and Hamill, phenomenal.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »

Kevin Conroy will still be THE Batman in my mind though. I grew up listening to that amazing voice of his.

me too.  I still remember coming home from school to see the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series, and was like "wow, they went back to the grey suit!" and LOVED it from then on.  I'm slowly collecting all of those too.

that's what I love too about people who care, and do it right.
Bioware, back when they were nothing, made KOTOR
RockSteady, arguably made the best Bats video games we're likely to ever see.  Man oh man are those not just a simply wonderful piece of art to enjoy, immerse in, and BE Bats! Cheesy
smartest move they made: getting Conroy and Hamill back.  That was simply beautiful.  And the cameos in both games, and the extras hidden throughout, beautiful.

It's awesome when I play those games, and one of my friends a complete "why do you like video games so much?" kind of guy, but who was a diehard bats fan, saw me play 10 minutes of that game.  He went out, bought a 360 and Bats that day! He gets it now.  He loves TFU and TFU2, Battlefront, Borderlands, and Red Dead.  They all have stories that make us want to become that character.

to me, the greatest characters ever to be portrayed in video games hands down because of their depth:
John Marston
Galen Marek
and
Bats

and Bats is that strong.  I've never seen a Bats I didn't like.  He may not have been a perfect 10.  But I still liked him.  Until I heard Josh Brolin could have been an alternative, I was actually wicked awesome happay for my Bowston Bowy.  I think this, combined with Argo, could bring Ben back to the forefront where he used to be.  It only takes a couple movies.

but yeah, Josh Brolin:
WOW

but Ben Affleck

yeah, I think so too.  Heck his humor might bring back the subtle charm of Bruce Wayne we've been missing since, I'm sad to say this, George Clooney, Val Kilmer and of course, Michael Keaton.  Sure, Christian Bale was suave, but he didn't seem to posses the charm however.

heck...
great example
"I never changed what I liked doing.  I never changed the characters I chose.  Just people started liking what I was doing I guess."
-Johnny Depp

and Kham, thanks man

I was only fortunate enough to see that before someone else did.  That, and hands down my two favorite "Super Heroes" are Iron Man and Bats...  they're just like you and me lol, just with GOBS of money.  That, and I think they'd hate each other to be honest.  Bats pretends to be a Wayne, whereas Stark is IronMan for s's and g's lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:17:10 PM by GrumpyBadger » Logged

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »

sorry about that, yeah, I really should have.  On Facebook it was a much easier read now looking at it.

No problem Smiley

All of the yes.

Exactly.

me too.  I still remember coming home from school to see the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series, and was like "wow, they went back to the grey suit!" and LOVED it from then on.  I'm slowly collecting all of those too.

I was born in 1994, so I pretty much missed everything, and I think I just watched reruns or something. I don't remember. But I do know that I watched it a lot, including all of the movies that came from it.

And when Justice League and JL Unlimited came out, I was very excited. Kevin Conroy came back, obviously, and so did Mark Hamill in a few episodes. But the rest of the voice actors were simply amazing. I can't really picture anyone else in any of the roles now, which... may or may not be a good thing. lol.

Though, by picture, I mean hear. So live-action adaptations are all good... kinda. Am I just confusing everyone? Sorry. lol.

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »

Point! Hobbit  Grin

I get you bud

Grin

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »

^Haha. Thanks Cheesy

You know, if I could act, I would love to play Wally West (Flash). I would need to be a bit older, sure, but that is the one superhero that I think I could pull off.

Boy, that was random.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 03:36:10 AM »

^Haha. Thanks Cheesy

You know, if I could act, I would love to play Wally West (Flash). I would need to be a bit older, sure, but that is the one superhero that I think I could pull off.

Boy, that was random.

An Asian guy playing a redheaded kid?Huh Next thing you'll say is that Kingpin will be played by a black guy!

Waitaminit... DAMNIT!!!

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 05:36:17 AM »

^Haha. Thanks Cheesy

Boy, that was random.

I'm more of a Barry Allen guy myself, I'm glad he's the "main" Flash again.  And even though the movie wasn't great, another hero I was so glad to get back, Hal.  I never cared for Kyle Rayner, and I flat out hated John Stewart.  And while I did like Alan Scott, I still have to say that Hal Jordan was my Green Lantern.  The events of the "Zero Hour" mini series left me very upset in the 90's and I was so happy when "Rebirth" came out and Hal came back again Smiley

As for Batman, I've gotten over the initial shock of BA playing him.  While I still don't like most of Ben's stuff (I actually did like Phantoms and Paycheck) I will give him a chance at least.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 06:35:41 AM »

An Asian guy playing a redheaded kid?Huh Next thing you'll say is that Kingpin will be played by a black guy!

Waitaminit... DAMNIT!!!

LOL. I dunno. Aren't they thinking about casting a black guy as the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four reboot? Cheesy

I'm more of a Barry Allen guy myself, I'm glad he's the "main" Flash again.  And even though the movie wasn't great, another hero I was so glad to get back, Hal.  I never cared for Kyle Rayner, and I flat out hated John Stewart.  And while I did like Alan Scott, I still have to say that Hal Jordan was my Green Lantern.  The events of the "Zero Hour" mini series left me very upset in the 90's and I was so happy when "Rebirth" came out and Hal came back again Smiley

I'm definitely a fan of Barry Allen as well. I just prefer Wally because he's a very compelling character with a ton of depth, and because I truly relate to him as well. Plus, I grew up watching him in the Justice League cartoon. I loved him so much that Wally actually became the first superhero that I started collecting comics for, and that's actually how I ended up getting into comics.

GrumpyBadger
Knight Captain

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 07:30:37 AM »

you know, it's funny.

I totally agree about Green Lantern.  Hal is Green Lantern, and I loved, loved Ryan Reynolds as the lead role.  I think all the actors were great, I just wish production would have given it the treatment they gave Bats with Nolan and what they're doing with Superman.  If the Justice League returns, I'd be totally fine with Ryan playing Hal/Green Lantern again.  I thought he was excellent.

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 08:16:52 AM »

you know, it's funny.

I totally agree about Green Lantern.  Hal is Green Lantern, and I loved, loved Ryan Reynolds as the lead role.  I think all the actors were great, I just wish production would have given it the treatment they gave Bats with Nolan and what they're doing with Superman.  If the Justice League returns, I'd be totally fine with Ryan playing Hal/Green Lantern again.  I thought he was excellent.

Yeah, the movie had all sorts of issues, but Ryan played Hal really well.  I'd be fine with seeing him back in the role for JL.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »

Yeah, Ryan was perfect as Hal. They definitely should bring him back. It would also be really weird to see someone else in that role. It bugs me to no end when actors get swapped out.

*glares at Iron Man 2 and The Avengers*

Although I do understand the reasons behind both of those changes.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »

Yeah, Ryan was perfect as Hal. They definitely should bring him back. It would also be really weird to see someone else in that role. It bugs me to no end when actors get swapped out.

*glares at Iron Man 2 and The Avengers*

Although I do understand the reasons behind both of those changes.

I've never forgiven Terrence Howard for not reprising Rhodey, but I will say that Mark Ruffalo was perfect as Bruce Banner, much more so than Edward Norton and leaps and bounds above Eric Bana.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: