Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down
Author Topic: Li-Ion Battery Setup HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (Please Read Me)  (Read 328796 times)
Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 700

« on: June 16, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »

Updated 3/24/2012

Li-Ion setup comes standard with a Universal Charger and two Li-Ion batteries, like the kind found here: http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/z-electronics-battcharcombo.htm

Sabers equipped with the Li-Ion setup with not function properly with regular AA Alkaline or NiMh batteries.  You must use the 3.7V Li-Ion batteries that are provided with the saber.  They are rechargeble so you do not have to buy new batteries when they are drained, just pop them in the charger.

If you are ordering a saber we HIGHLY (cannot stress highly enough and Li-Ion Setup is mandatory in order for us to install sound in a saber, please check each saber listing for details) recommend everyone get the Li-Ion setup.

Ultrasabers now offers two versions of the Li-Ion setup.  With BuckPuck and with Resistor.  Li-Ion Battery Setup with BuckPuck will be made with a BuckPuck being used to control the current to the LED.  Li-Ion Battery Setup with Resistor will be made with a Resistor regulating the current to the LED.

Here are the benefits of both Li-Ion setups:

• First of all the price is GREAT.  Considering what all it comes with and the amount you will save on replacing regular batteries, this is a STEAL!  Here is what you get with the Li-Ion Battery Setup with BuckPuck: 2x Protected Li-Ion 14500 batteries, 1x 14500 Charger, and 1x BuckPuck.  You could not possibly buy these pieces separately for near the price we offer them, not to mention we do all the installation and warranty everything!
  • The Li-Ion gives you GUARANTEED access to the USB port on your installed soundboard.  Space is tight in some of these sabers and with the way we mount the soundboard for the Li-Ion setup, you are guaranteed to have access to the port regardless of the saber.  The same cannot be guaranteed for Standard 4 AAA setup.  Those battery packs are big and take up a lot of space and we might have to use some serious cram-fu to get everything to fit, which means access to the USB port is not guaranteed with the Standard setup.  ***Sabers with Sound are no longer offered with Standard Setup***

For the Li-Ion Battery Setup with Resistor.  You get the above benefits.  The cons are that the extra power is burned off as heat and thus wasted and you do not get the full potential battery life from each charge of your batteries.  Also when dealing with color mixes (like Violet Amethyst, Arctic Blue, SRD, Sentinel Yellow, Bane's Heart, etc) it is best to use a driver like a BuckPuck to assure that these mix to the best possible potential.  Also with many Flash on Clash combinations (especially like Red flash Silver) it is best to use a driver like a Buck Puck to assure that both these color show well and the current for both colors are is properly.

For the Li-Ion Battery Setup with BuckPuck.  You get all of the above benefits of the Li-Ion Setup and none of the above downfalls.  This is the tried and true standard for LED current regulation and we can finally bring it to you guys at a great price.  

These are some serious benefits at a great price.  Again, we highly encourage everyone to get the Li-Ion setup with your Obsidian USB install.  You will thank us later.

If you have any questions, post them here or email me at shipping@ultrasabers.com
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:51:20 PM by Deep » Logged

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Jedi Warrior
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »

If you are ordering a saber with the new Obsidian soundboard, it will work with our standard 4 AAA battery pack setup, but we HIGHLY (cannot stress highly enough) recommend everyone get the Li-Ion setup and here's why:

• First of all the price is GREAT.  Considering what all it comes with and the amount you will save on replacing regular batteries, this is a STEAL!
  • The Li-Ion setup comes with a constant current driver for your LED.  This means your saber will be the brightest it can possibly be without overdrive or underdrive.  Some sabersmiths charge a TON to install these.  You get it for free with the Li-Ion setup.
  • The Li-Ion setup comes with protected cells, which means the soundboard will NEVER be underpowered.  Alkaline and NiMH batteries drop in voltage as they die out, which means you risk underpowering both the soundboard and the LED as the batteries die, which can cause problems.
  • The Li-Ion gives you GUARANTEED access to the USB port on your installed soundboard.  Space is tight in some of these sabers and with the way we mount the soundboard for the Li-Ion setup, you are guaranteed to have access to the port regardless of the saber.  The same cannot be guaranteed for Standard 4 AAA setup.  Those battery packs are big and take up a lot of space and we might have to use some serious cram-fu to get everything to fit, which means access to the USB port is not guaranteed with the Standard setup.

These are some serious benefits at a great price.  Again, we highly encourage everyone to get the Li-Ion setup with your Obsidian USB install.  You will thank us later.

If you have any questions, post them here or email me at shipping@ultrasabers.com
Thanks Deep for the awesome info! I will modify my order right now!

Jedi Warrior
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »

Thanks Deep for the awesome info! I will modify my order right now!
I just modified my order. I suppose I will need to buy some lithium ion batteries? What size should I get?
Thanks Deep!

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:48:59 PM »

I just modified my order. I suppose I will need to buy some lithium ion batteries? What size should I get?
Thanks Deep!

If you order the Li-Ion Setup option with your saber, it comes standard with 2 14500 Protected Trustfire Lithium Ion batteries and a Universal Trustfire Lithium Ion Charger.

If you are doing this DIY them it will totally depend on your own use and setup.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »

Awesome.  Thanks for the info and it's good to see you back on the forums!

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

Warlock Umbra
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -126

Dark Wizard of the Sith

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:27:55 PM »

Awesome.  Thanks for the info and it's good to see you back on the forums!

^^^This! Definitely getting this on my Bane! Grin

"Malificent"--Dark Shock w/Sith sound__Blazing Red
"Carnage"--SS ed. RGB Raven
"Dominator"--Bane w/Obsidian__Pyrestone Orange/Dark Violet

tiger salamander
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »

Deep,

I made a bad decision with my recent order. I was going to opt with the Li-ion for my consular-obsidian, assuming it was an in-hilt recharge system. I opted with the standard 4-AAA setup upon finding out that they were just removeable cells., so I though I would save the extra $30. I did not realize that the Li-ions were pcb protected and that the LED would be driven by a constant current source (buck driver???).

My order shipped today (got the UPS shipping tracking #) so too late for me to change my mind. When I get the saber, will it be a problem for me to send it back for the Li-ion upgrade?

Currently Own: Empty Shock Hilt

Former US Sabers (Sold them): Raven SS RGB, Catalyst Fire Orange, Guardian Pyrestone Orange, Consular VA, Dark Initiate Blue

Other (former, sold off) MR Luke ROTJ, MR Vader, MR Anakin, MR Mace Windu, MR Darth Maul Staff, Hasbro Luke, Hasbro Vader

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:59:58 AM »

Deep,

I made a bad decision with my recent order. I was going to opt with the Li-ion for my consular-obsidian, assuming it was an in-hilt recharge system. I opted with the standard 4-AAA setup upon finding out that they were just removeable cells., so I though I would save the extra $30. I did not realize that the Li-ions were pcb protected and that the LED would be driven by a constant current source (buck driver???).

My order shipped today (got the UPS shipping tracking #) so too late for me to change my mind. When I get the saber, will it be a problem for me to send it back for the Li-ion upgrade?

Not an issue at all.  The price will be bit different that the one quoted on the website due to uninstall and reinstall.  Email me at shipping@ultrasabers.com when you are ready to get it done.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

sekprime1985
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »

Well I guess once I get it I'll have to send it back so this can be come.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:56:19 AM »

So your li-ion batteries are in hilt re-charge then? Nice. Can't wait to get a saber with the new soundboard which should be next week or if not then the week after. Either way I'm getting an Obsidian saber. I'm getting a Shock this time.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

tiger salamander
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:19:24 AM »

The Li-ion option is NOT an in hilt recharge option. They are removeable cells. Remove them and put them in the charger provided. Initially I thought the option was an in hilt system too. Later found out it was not so I changed my order to the standard set up. According to what Deep posted, the Li-ion option incorporates a constant current driver and the batteries themselves are pcb protected (protection from unbalanced charging/discharging).

That there should be a deal maker but I did not know those perks were included so I made a poor choice going with the standard set up.  I will be sending the saber back to upgrade to Li-ion option.

I have no issue having to pay a little bit more to get this done. That will be the price paid for my lesson learned - be patient and do your research. Ask questions if not sure.

Also, I don't mind paying extra this time as it won't put me too much under. I just sold two empty iPhone 4 boxes on craigslist for $40! Grin

Former US Sabers (Sold them): Raven SS RGB, Catalyst Fire Orange, Guardian Pyrestone Orange, Consular VA, Dark Initiate Blue

Other (former, sold off) MR Luke ROTJ, MR Vader, MR Anakin, MR Mace Windu, MR Darth Maul Staff, Hasbro Luke, Hasbro Vader

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 06:32:42 AM »

@Turel. Nice. I just wasn't for sure if these batts were for in hilt or out hilt. I know there are 2 different types of 14500's so yeah. I was hoping they picked the in hilt though. Oh well. I just hope the soundboard isn't like near the batts so you don't have to worry about the wires popping off. Or did they do the soldering points different?

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Darth Myers
Force Sensitive

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »

Deep: I just ordered the new Consular saber yesterday morning - but I forgot to click the tab to pay for the Li-Ion Battery Setup.  I sent an email to amend my order, I don't know how to amend order on website.  I really want to make sure I have the Li-Ion Battery Setup on the Consular.

sekprime1985
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »

I decided that instead of just shipping it off to get a second one with that li-on set up.  Yeah I know not wallet safe but ya know what my friends b-day is coming so yeah there's a perfect gift!

tiger salamander
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 01:47:11 AM »

Not sure how the wiring will look. I'm sure that it's fine with the Li set up. It's the standard set up I'm worried about. I get the impression that it takes up alot of space in the hilt. Not sure how that will affect accessing the USB for the saber config.

I'm hoping that when Custom Saber Division opens up that they can do an in hilt 2.1mm canon recharge port.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: