Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Harry Potter thread  (Read 40125 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »

Indeed... though I can only imagine the price on a real carved wood wand.  Prices in parks like that are crazy jacked up.  I paid $30 for my wand.

Here is a picture of my wand, it came with the box too.

The majority of my wands that I made were 100% custom orders...I did a handful of bulk orders (25 and 50) but those were for a club and for a store.

Handmade ones most often are not that bad at all...$50-$75.  Though some may range lower and some much...much...much higher...I have seen $1000 for a single wand but the wood was old and quite rare.

Light side points please Smiley

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »

I have ran RPGs for adults, as adult characters and not 13-16yr old students lol.

But I have not written any fanfic...never struck me to do so.

I have made a bunch of wands though.

I have a thing for wood...once in your hand even a plain unassuming white or off yellow wood take on character.  But some of the exotic woods are just ridiculously beautiful.

Like...

Amboyna Burl

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 11:00:13 PM »

The majority of my wands that I made were 100% custom orders...I did a handful of bulk orders (25 and 50) but those were for a club and for a store.

Handmade ones most often are not that bad at all...$50-$75.  Though some may range lower and some much...much...much higher...I have seen $1000 for a single wand but the wood was old and quite rare.

I mainly bought mine because it was the one chosen for me by Ollivander.  It sits on my desk so it not being real wood isn't that big a deal.  $50-75 bucks is still steep for what amounts to a glorified stick (Blasphemy, I know  Cheesy).

I once went around the house wielding my Ultrasaber and my wand together.  Can you say epic crossover?

I have ran RPGs for adults, as adult characters and not 13-16yr old students lol.

But I have not written any fanfic...never struck me to do so.

I have made a bunch of wands though.

I have a thing for wood...once in your hand even a plain unassuming white or off yellow wood take on character.  But some of the exotic woods are just ridiculously beautiful.

Like...

Amboyna Burl

That wood is really very beautiful.  I love the marbling in it.

Back to the movies though;  when Deathly Hallows part 2 premiered, the local theater had a special marathon.  2 movies a night back to back for 4 nights, culminating in the midnight release of Deathly Hallows part 2 in 3D.  One of the best and exhausting weeks of summer ever.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 02:44:18 AM »

I mainly bought mine because it was the one chosen for me by Ollivander.  It sits on my desk so it not being real wood isn't that big a deal.  $50-75 bucks is still steep for what amounts to a glorified stick (Blasphemy, I know  Cheesy).

It is just a stick...but in my case, even a simple one is still an investment of an hour or two at the very least and in some cases, three or four if laminated.

So I have no issue charging $75-$150...just a stick indeed...and a saber is just a flashlight!

lol

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 02:48:09 AM »

It is just a stick...but in my case, even a simple one is still an investment of an hour or two at the very least and in some cases, three or four if laminated.

So I have no issue charging $75-$150...just a stick indeed...and a saber is just a flashlight!

lol

Oh, indeed. Being a poor college student makes it a bit difficult to justify too many of those types of purchases though.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:20 AM »

I am torn between these two woods...I like nearly all of them in some large measure, but these two call out to me...

Acacia

A very unusual wand wood, which I have found creates tricky wands that often refuse to produce magic for any but their owner, and also withhold their best effects from all but those most gifted. This sensitivity renders them difficult to place, and I keep only a small stock for those witches or wizards of sufficient subtlety, for acacia is not suited to what is commonly known as ‘bangs-and-smells’ magic. When well-matched, an acacia wand matches any for power, though it is often underrated due to the peculiarity of its temperament.

Yew

Yew wands are among the rarer kinds, and their ideal matches are likewise unusual, and occasionally notorious. The wand of yew is reputed to endow its possessor with the power of life and death, which might, of course, be said of all wands; and yet yew retains a particularly dark and fearsome reputation in the spheres of dueling and all curses. However, it is untrue to say (as those unlearned in wandlore often do) that those who use yew wands are more likely to be attracted to the Dark Arts than another. The witch or wizard best suited to a yew wand might equally prove a fierce protector of others. Wands hewn from these most long-lived trees have been found in the possession of heroes quite as often as of villains. Where wizards have been buried with wands of yew, the wand generally sprouts into a tree guarding the dead owner’s grave. What is certain, in my experience, is that the yew wand never chooses either a mediocre or a timid owner.

If I could I would also look for burls, spalting, or other interesting aspects which can be found in rare pieces of all wood  Smiley

PS
After posting, I am leaning towards the Acacia...I am thinking the beauty of the wood and the characteristics match me well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:19:38 AM by Jedi Relmeob » Logged

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »

A curious question, would you prefer to be a very successful and wealthy muggle (millionaire) or an ordinary and unremarkable witch/wizard?

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 06:28:47 PM »

It appears that wizards and witches are capable of conjuring real food and buildings, so they would have no need - in theory - for money... In practise it's clear that they do need money, so whatever they can do doesn't appear to be easy. For that reason, money appeals.

That said, if I was a muggle millionaire who knew about magic, I suspect I'd be the type to spend anything on a way to become magical. For that reason, I'd go with magic over money, and find a way to make money from being magical (without the Ministry catching on, which doesn't seem too difficult).

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »

It appears that wizards and witches are capable of conjuring real food and buildings, so they would have no need - in theory - for money... In practise it's clear that they do need money, so whatever they can do doesn't appear to be easy. For that reason, money appeals.

That said, if I was a muggle millionaire who knew about magic, I suspect I'd be the type to spend anything on a way to become magical. For that reason, I'd go with magic over money, and find a way to make money from being magical (without the Ministry catching on, which doesn't seem too difficult).

There are many inconsistencies in the Potterverse like not having to study basic subjects like language and  math...which is interesting because most serious looks at magic being energy and thus measurable would require high math and science.

But the question above...no, the muggle would have no idea that the Potterverse exists.

Witches/wizards can not make real gold, silver, etc. unless they are one of those exceptionally rare types like Nicolas and Perenelle Flamel, legendary alchemists.  So yes you would need to be able to earn money...though I suspect that magic could easily make paper money currency...living among muggles is frowned upon and those who do are watched very closely...tracing spells and such.

The Ministry would certainly know...so I am not sure if this would change you vote lol.

I would, as my wife would, to be part of the Potterverse no matter the money offered the other direction.  In fact we would accept to be Squib if nothing else...live and work within the magical world in some fashion such as studying flora/fauna  Smiley

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »

I guess I'll share my Pottermore stuff.

House:
    Slytherin

Wand:
    Length: 12 1/2 in
    Wood: Holly
    Core: Phoenix Feather
    Flexibility: Surprisingly Swishy

My wand is the same as Harry's, except longer and probably a different flexibility, but still! I was shocked when I got Slytherin (I expected Ravenclaw) but I've come to accept it and realize that it really is the house that best fits me. I also see it as an opportunity to fix the house's bad reputation by actually, you know, being nice and stuff.

Green is also my favorite color, and having a common room under the Black Lake is awesome.  Grin

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »

Great attitude!

I often get selected into the snake house also...more so Raven or Griffin but still I could easily see myself going to Sytherin, I have an extensive history of card cheating (sigh it is true), dice stacking, and even light fingers in my youth...having a dad with the belt at the ready for anything I was a consummate lie machine, for self preservation...so yes I also could be placed within the green and grey...I would hope beyond all hopes that I would be one of the minority if in the snake house that were not too dark and made the difference in being a good guy...or good enough Smiley

Blonde...did you choose the wand wood from the list or is that the wand you own?

rezeb360
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »

I was sorted into Slytherin. But I don't agree with the wand that was given to me, mainly be cause it doesn't mach me. Its a
Wood: Poplar
Flexibility: Supple
 I've found that the Cedar and the Mahogany Best suit me but I can't pick.
I also have a wand from universals Harry Potter. My fiance oddly enough was sorted into Hufflepuff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:37:47 PM by rezeb360 » Logged

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »

I was sorted into Slytherin. But I don't agree with the wand that was given to me, mainly be cause it doesn't mach me. Its a
Wood: Poplar
Flexibility: Supple
 I've found that the Cedar and the Mahogany Best suit me but I can't pick.
I also have a wand from universals Harry Potter. My fiance oddly enough was sorted into Hufflepuff.

Slytherin does not mean evil...just intense, single minded focus, a bit selfish (as most of us are), and competitive (as many of us are)...I am surprised more people do not get selected into the snake house to be house, especially among gamers and such  Smiley

As for the wand woods, Cedar and Mahogany are both spectacular woods...and outside the Potterverse I use all kinds of woods, but since Mahogany is not on the wand makers list then I guess it is Cedar!

Cedar

Whenever I meet one who carries a cedar wand, I find strength of character and unusual loyalty. My father, Gervaise Ollivander, used always to say, ‘you will never fool the cedar carrier,’ and I agree: the cedar wand finds its perfect home where there is perspicacity and perception. I would go further than my father, however, in saying that I have never yet met the owner of a cedar wand whom I would care to cross, especially if harm is done to those of whom they are fond. The witch or wizard who is well-matched with cedar carries the potential to be a frightening adversary, which often comes as a shock to those who have thoughtlessly challenged them.

I favor Cedar in the Pottervrse and in real life also...really nice and the characteristics are quite interesting!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:37:47 PM by Jedi Relmeob » Logged

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »

I like the Hornbeam, 15 1/2 inches. (That's how long my Sirius wand is)

I was sorted into Gryffindor, Hufflepuff a strong second, but didn't notice that it gave you a wand preference.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Frizzenflyer
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 271

Triple Ace

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »

I ended up tied between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw.
I like my 14 inch Black Walnut wand, mainly because I spent hours on making it. I used to make wands for my friends, American Cherry, Oak, and Holly were most popular. Although I did make a Boxwood wand once, and will never do so again.

"we did it first, and we did it old school... none of them fancy Incom T-65 X-Wings... we had ARC-170's and Z-95's... we had to work for our kills."~Jestucker

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: