Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Your favorite "cult" hit movie!  (Read 7604 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« on: September 11, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »

You know...not a cult like a devil worshiping horror movie (unless it fits the following profile lol)...cult films as in they were not all that successful in the theaters but picked up steam and are constantly replayed on TV because of the popularity base.

I will only note one to get the ball started, don't want to use up someone's favorite before they can post!

Provide a pic or vid link rather than just a title, we are image craving creatures after all!

One of my favorite cult hits!

John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China

When it comes down to it...just another story about a rough around the edges ladies man smuggler, an old Jedi Master, and a sith Lord!

Light side points please Smiley

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H7iemtCQXQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H7iemtCQXQ</a>

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Sin Obsidian
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »

Gotta love the Living Dead movies...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6WAAlNHt4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6WAAlNHt4</a>

I follow my own path.
I know the power of the Dark side,
And the peace of the Light.
I am the serenity of balance.
All the universe is a false-reality,
I pledge myself to my beliefs,
For I have found true life
In the balance of the Dark and the Light.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »

Gotta love the Living Dead movies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6WAAlNHt4#ws

+1

The Warriors

Staring the always enjoyable James Remar.

Mallrats

Brazil

This Is Spinal Tap

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »

I'm not sure if my movies classify as specifically "cult classics" or they are simply really popular B-movies.  Who knows, maybe I should make a "Post your most favorite B-Movies" thread, but in any case, these would have to be mine:

Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo [Most agree the 2nd movie is slightly better].
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaNKBmRNvY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YaNKBmRNvY</a>

Yor: The Hunter From the Future [Pretty much became popular after Spoony's review].
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0q4sv3pwG8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0q4sv3pwG8</a>

Deathstalker [Same actor from Yor].
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOfUz0cZz8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOfUz0cZz8</a>

Surf Nazi's Must Die.
[Trailer had more blood and violence then I realized].

Fantastic Planet [Probably more along the lines of an underground cult film; this and maybe "Fire and Ice" and "Gandahar", but those are a bit too inappropriate to post, I think].
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E</a>
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:23:01 PM by Waxman » Logged

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »

THE cult movie!

I'd post more pics, but this is a family friendly site. Tongue

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »

I can pretty much guarantee I have seen The Warriors more than any other person on the forum.

While in High School the local independent theater played the Warriors and Rocky Horror every Friday and Saturday night...midnight showing, $10 including unlimited soda and popcorn.

Easily I saw the two, 150-160 times if not more.

And for another cult classic for me...

John Carpenter's The Thing

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:08 PM »

I honestly don't believe the concept of cult movies exist anymore .. With so many hipsters making claim to movies that they supposedly love but look at you with a deer in headlight look when you talk about it ..

Plus I think " geek acceptance " has more or less become a thing ... So cult movies are becoming mainstream

I don't claim to be a cult movie buff by any means but it pisses me off when people name movies or bands that they buy t shirts and bracelets in but can't talk about it at all

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »

I honestly don't believe the concept of cult movies exist anymore .. With so many hipsters making claim to movies that they supposedly love but look at you with a deer in headlight look when you talk about it ..

Plus I think " geek acceptance " has more or less become a thing ... So cult movies are becoming mainstream

I don't claim to be a cult movie buff by any means but it pisses me off when people name movies or bands that they buy t shirts and bracelets in but can't talk about it at all

Fortunately I do not know any of these types...dismissal would b in order if I did lol.

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »

You know...not a cult like a devil worshiping horror movie (unless it fits the following profile lol)...cult films as in they were not all that successful in the theaters but picked up steam and are constantly replayed on TV because of the popularity base.

I will only note one to get the ball started, don't want to use up someone's favorite before they can post!

Provide a pic or vid link rather than just a title, we are image craving creatures after all!

One of my favorite cult hits!

When it comes down to it...just another story about a rough around the edges ladies man smuggler, an old Jedi Master, and a sith Lord

That was a real winner.  It would take a lot to beat Kurt Russell in a semi truck.  This is why the 80's and early-90's were so great.  I love these corny, so-bad-it's-good kind of movies. 

I gotta add Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.  Bruce Campbell is another one who is tough to beat. 
If you Google Bruce Campbell, next to the search results it says born June 22, 1958 and died 1993.  Obviously wrong, but it made me do a double take when I saw it.

I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I'll throw The Crow (the original Branden Lee one) out there just in case.   
I'm a big Crow fan.  I've got all the movies, the TV show, some of the comic books (although I haven't read them yet), a mini bust, a figure and have the new Hot Toys figure on pre-order.   

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »

That was a real winner.  It would take a lot to beat Kurt Russell in a semi truck.  This is why the 80's and early-90's were so great.  I love these corny, so-bad-it's-good kind of movies. 

I gotta add Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.  Bruce Campbell is another one who is tough to beat. 
If you Google Bruce Campbell, next to the search results it says born June 22, 1958 and died 1993.  Obviously wrong, but it made me do a double take when I saw it.

I'm not sure if it qualifies, but I'll throw The Crow (the original Branden Lee one) out there just in case.   
I'm a big Crow fan.  I've got all the movies, the TV show, some of the comic books (although I haven't read them yet), a mini bust, a figure and have the new Hot Toys figure on pre-order.   

Agreed...Bruce Cambell is the OG of cult movies.

The Crow...especially the first one...it has the distinction of being the catalyst for the goth movement...certainly can not argue with that sort of staying power!  Great story also...the spirit of revenge and vengeance taken form.

I made a DC superhero inspired by the Crow...illegitimate grandchild of The Penguin and a shamanistic lady type, deep jungles of Papua New Guinea or some such...through a mystical connection the boy is drawn into the form of a group of black birds...not actually crows, more blue black forest birds, but to city folk they look like crows...he can call birds to him en masse, he can see through their eyes, he can create a mob of his black birds around him and ride them like a magic carpet, and a final thing is he can burst into a cloud of the same birds and scatter himself to avoid death...regenerating later to reform into human form.

Way OT but fun times!

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »

Agreed...Bruce Cambell is the OG of cult movies.

The Crow...especially the first one...it has the distinction of being the catalyst for the goth movement...certainly can not argue with that sort of staying power!  Great story also...the spirit of revenge and vengeance taken form.

I made a DC superhero inspired by the Crow...illegitimate grandchild of The Penguin and a shamanistic lady type, deep jungles of Papua New Guinea or some such...through a mystical connection the boy is drawn into the form of a group of black birds...not actually crows, more blue black forest birds, but to city folk they look like crows...he can call birds to him en masse, he can see through their eyes, he can create a mob of his black birds around him and ride them like a magic carpet, and a final thing is he can burst into a cloud of the same birds and scatter himself to avoid death...regenerating later to reform into human form.

Way OT but fun times!

Wow!  You have got some imagination.  I think I would strain or break something trying to come up with a character like that.  Did you have any fanart done of the character?  He sounds really cool.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »

Wow!  You have got some imagination.  I think I would strain or break something trying to come up with a character like that.  Did you have any fanart done of the character?  He sounds really cool.

Hmmm I will have to look, I am sure I did a piece for the character.

Escape from New York

Yayyy boooooyyyyy!

Three of my cult favorites...with the same lead...same writer...same director...Smiley

The coolest aspect of it all is I got to tell him so (John Carpenter) in person while I was his personal security officer at DragonCon  Cheesy

Darth Abaddon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 96

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »

Long time favorite of mine.

If anyone ever tries to kill you, you try and kill 'em right back.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: