Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Your favorite "cult" hit movie!  (Read 7606 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 01:48:33 AM »

I don't see it Sad

Light side points please Smiley

Phyrior
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -2

Lux et Nox; Humanitus anceps

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 03:07:15 AM »

That's a tough one, but since it's not really known over here except in tokusatsu circles: Mechanical Violator Hakaider

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JOShEfnc0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7JOShEfnc0</a>

Ore no na wa, Ore no na wa (My, my name is... My... My name is...)
Hakaida (Hakaider (like this needed translation, but if it must be, it's a fusion of 'Destroy' and 'Rider' )
Tsubuse, Kowase, Hakaiseyo! (I crush, I smash, I destroy!)
Mune no kairo ni shirei ga hashiru (In my heart (circuit) runs a single command)
Ore no-- ore no shimei-- ore no shukumei (My... My mission... My destiny)
Kikaida o hakaiseyo (Kikaider: I Destroy! (Kikaider was the hero of the series that spawn Hakaider, his name is a combination of 'Machine' and 'Rider')
Hakaiseyo (I Destroy!)

And because I'm just that much of a nerd:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWL2ULTty8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPWL2ULTty8</a>

(Who says Droids can't be cool? Tongue )

"There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.  /  There is no fear; there is power.
  I am the heart of the Force.  /  I am the revealing fire of light.  /  I am the mystery of darkness.
  In balance with chaos and harmony,  /  Immortal in the Force.''  ―The Je'daii Code

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 03:21:14 AM »

Kham, Relmeob, you both know that Big Trouble in Little China was actually supposed to be the sequel to Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension, right?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 03:41:31 AM »

Kham, Relmeob, you both know that Big Trouble in Little China was actually supposed to be the sequel to Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension, right?

I heard that also lol.

Phyrior...those are interesting choices.

Kinda way...way...way out of the box but still fun.

I suspect what makes a cult classic is that the movie was made with the intention that it would do well on the main market and it does not...then turns back up on regular TV...consistently popping up...

Indie movies are by their very nature calling out to a niche market.

It is interesting that the majority of those movies considered on most lists for cult classics did poorly on their initial theater runs and then later through TV and VHS they picked up more and more fans...some reaching status that most people think the movie did well lol.

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 03:44:57 AM »

I have to agree with people above about The Crow (first movie) and The Thing (1982 version), they are both amazing movies that I still enjoy watching today!

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 03:56:00 AM »

I have to agree with people above about The Crow (first movie) and The Thing (1982 version), they are both amazing movies that I still enjoy watching today!

That is one of the hallmarks of a cult classic for me...that I would be willing to watch it, regardless of where it is in the showing...10mins left or an hour, I'm going to watch it.

Smiley

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »

That is one of the hallmarks of a cult classic for me...that I would be willing to watch it, regardless of where it is in the showing...10mins left or an hour, I'm going to watch it.

Smiley

For me, not 'cult' films in any way, but the Back to the Future films are exactly that. I watched the last half hour of II a while back... Bliss.

But back on topic: Bubba Ho-Tep is my favourite cult movie. I must watch the Warriors at some point, too - I've had it for ages, and just never quite get around to it.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

Generally anything with Bruce "The Chin" Campbell hit's iconic cult status for me with Bruce Campbell vs The Army of Darkness (The proper title) being possibly the peak of the mountain.  Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn.  My Name is Bruce is an awesome movie that he uses to just make fun of himself, and Bubba Ho-Tep was a riot!

It's hard to gauge a true cult film, independent, limited release, one that no matter you and all your friends will always watch together?  Is it campy, cheesy, full of B-List actors, was it a main stream film that just was released at the wrong time against something else so it failed at the box office?

One of those movies I consider a cult classic in my household, because no matter when it's on, how much I've missed, I will always watch to the end is Second Hand Lions.

Another pair that always rates high on my watch list, no matter what, Boondock Saints and Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

I think the original Highlander movie is also one of my favorites.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWH_seUNRo&amp;feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRWH_seUNRo&amp;feature=player_detailpage</a>

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »

I don't know if they qualify specifically as "cult" movies, but "Pulp Fiction" and "Serenity" definitely would be my top 2.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »

Grin

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 12:41:18 AM »

Favorite Cult movies for me, well they've already said them here but:

John Carpenter's THE THING

John Carpenter's BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA

Highlander

This Is Spinal Tap

and of course, EVIL DEAD 2/ARMY OF DARKNESS(Screwhead version)

Also whoever said Yor: Hunter from the Future, I saw a review for it many a year ago by an man named Noah Antweller aka The Spoony One and it changed my life....That and the Nostalgia Critic Doug Walker...and Linkara (Lewis Lovhaug)

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 04:12:01 AM »

I tend to enjoy the comedy cult classics like Monty Python (Holy Grail, Life of Brian etc) Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs, some darker films like Donny Darko, The Fisher King,  A Clockwork Orange and The Big Lebowski

I love the Dude

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 01:55:32 PM »

All cult classics...they did fair in the theaters but gained more attention afterwards with TV and video releases.

Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: