Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘Harry Potter’ Spinoff Movie, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them  (Read 11431 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: September 12, 2013, 04:41:39 PM »

J.K. Rowling has announced via her Facebook Page that she is writing a new Harry Potter spinoff film titled Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them for Warner Bros. The film will follow Newt Scamander, author of the textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” – which was (as fans of the novels know) the name of the textbook Harry and Co. used while first-years at Hogwarts in the first installment, The Philosopher’s Stone. Rowling previously adapted the idea into a companion book for the Harry Potter novels.

The film will be the first in a new franchise from Rowling and Warner Bros. – read the official Facebook posting from Rowling below:

Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’, the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.

“It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts’, realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

The subject matter is sound – the exploration of mystical beasts in the wizarding world – and with Warner Bros. still working out their superhero universe – with the Batman vs. Superman movie poised to make a big smash in 2015 – having something from the Harry Potter Universe – from Rowling herself – is just more ammunition in hand.

What do you think Harry Potter fans? Does this concept sound good to you?

Source: http://screenrant.com/harry-potter-jk-rowling-fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-movie/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:03 PM »

Well, more Harry Potter is definitely a good thing in my book. You can never have too much. But with that said, I think that she should have went with new books, or a different movie idea. No TV shows though... ugh, please no. I already have too many that I need to keep track of. lol. And besides, a TV show would just feel cheap considering how this is Harry Potter and all.

Doesn't really matter now though. I'm going to be looking forward to this!

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »

This is interesting to me.  It opens up a lot of cross-generational possibilities for the future.  Maybe not in this film, since it's set 70 years before CoS, but if they franchise this I can see a lot of films including parents/kids of the original characters, or even bringing back the originals for cameos, like how Ep VII is likely to do.  It would be a spectacular way to increase the HP universe without ever actually making a sequel/prequel.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »

I am on board!

Light side points please Smiley

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »

Not a fan, to be completely honest.

Why can't we just leave good things alone?  Sad

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »

Not a fan, to be completely honest.

Why can't we just leave good things alone?  Sad

Why not?  It's not a prequel or sequel.  It's just a different story in the same universe.   

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:52:24 AM »

Why not?  It's not a prequel or sequel.  It's just a different story in the same universe.   

I know. I'm just one of those guys that likes to see new, original stuff. Yeah, it's a new story, but it's a universe I've already spent 7 (9 counting Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through The Ages) books and 8 movies with. I'm just a bit tired of franchises stretching themselves too thinly.

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:45:46 AM »

I know. I'm just one of those guys that likes to see new, original stuff. Yeah, it's a new story, but it's a universe I've already spent 7 (9 counting Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through The Ages) books and 8 movies with. I'm just a bit tired of franchises stretching themselves too thinly.
I understand where you are comming from, but to me it depends on the quality. If the new stories are good and impactful I say bring the on. If they are just recycled crap like Abrams Star Trek movies then just don't watch (assuming your wife or someone else doesn't drag you too them.)

I mean the worse thing that can happen is that they aren't any good, the best that they can push the incredible world of Harry Potter into new territories that bring enjoyment to all.

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »

By that logic, Disney should drop all plans to make Ep VII or any other Star Wars films at all.  I appreciate your sentiment, and to an extent I agree.  It is nice to have new, original films/books/etc.  But not at the expense of work that is legitimately good. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:29 PM »

By that logic, Disney should drop all plans to make Ep VII or any other Star Wars films at all.  I appreciate your sentiment, and to an extent I agree.  It is nice to have new, original films/books/etc.  But not at the expense of work that is legitimately good. 

Would you be surprised if I said I'm not really looking forward to Episode VII?  Cheesy

I have no problem with continuing certain franchises, it's just that every single franchise is getting some kind of unmerited continuation at the expense of original work.

There's this thing that a lot of studios fall prey to: the "blockbuster syndrome." Every studio wants their movies to make tons of money on opening weekend. What movies are best for this? Franchises! Anything that's connected to another film that people loved will get them in on the name alone, whether it's good or not.

Back in the old days, movies would make a lot of money based on word of mouth. People would see a movie, tell their friends about it, then their friends would see it. What this means is that the quality movies would be the ones that make tons of money, not the generic blockbusters. Granted, word of mouth still happens today, but on a much smaller scale.

The blockbuster syndrome is SEVERELY stunting creativity, making it harder for aspiring filmmakers, such as myself, to get into the business. And with all of these sequels, franchises, remakes, reboots, etc., modern audiences have become accustomed to sticking with the familiar rather than trying something new. This is why you don't see many blockbusters nominated for Academy Awards; they want people to see the less popular, outstanding films.

It's a two-way street: the studios go with the same stuff, and then audiences eat it up, encouraging the studios to keep giving them the same stuff. It's like having the same thing for every single meal every single day. It's nice at first, but then you want some variety.

I have no problem with the Harry Potter universe, in fact I love it. I just feel like I've spent enough time with it and would much rather find a new universe to explore.

I don't want this thread to get too off-topic (I've already started derailing it and feel badly), so let's just agree to disagree.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »

@RLYHYPERGUY: These threads are about movies, that includes the film industry; your post was fine, you were explaining your stance on franchises.

I'd say we will see something different in the Potter universe this time.

It is being set 70 years prior and is centered around the author's adventures; also it starts in New York.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:27:23 PM by Kham-Ryn Kurios » Logged

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 05:55:33 AM »

@RLYHYPERGUY: These threads are about movies, that includes the film industry; your post was fine, you were explaining your stance on franchises.

I'd say we will see something different in the Potter universe this time.

It is being set 70 years prior and is centered around the author's adventures; also it starts in New York.

Haha thanks, man. I am glad that it's not something like, Harry Potter: The Next Generation and is doing something different. I do like the New York setting also (I grew up in New Jersey). While I do wish this wasn't happening in the first place, I am glad that it's not the worst that could happen.

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »

Hmmm I do find the resistance to the new Potterverse movie...the main reasons being...

1. this is being written by the original author...so it is guaranteed to be honest and authentic

2. the Potterverse is wide and expansive...deserving of another look

3. this will not include the core of the younger audience...but...the fan base which grew up on Harry Potter books are now young adults, this movie is more for them and thus a great idea to maintain the potential IMO

Beyond this, it is not a regurgitated Hogwarts story...to be honest I would watch a new batch of kids or a teacher focused story.

This is not being led by someone else, retelling the Harry Potter story.

This will most likely focus on the magical creatures (duh), the interaction between the muggle and the wizarding worlds, the earlier experiences of dealing with magical creatures causing havoc and the resulting clean up.

It will start off in New York though I suspect it will become a world wide romp...China, Japan, Africa, Russia, Canada, Brazil, etc.

The opportunity to explore the cryptozoology aspect will be fun also...those magical creatures that have been seen by muggles and have found their way into legend and myth...bigfoot, nessie, etc...as well as those that we know from the magical world.

I welcome it 100%.

Just as I would a Hogwarts TV show...honestly I think it would work well...remember what the whole Harry Potter experience did...it created a whole new class of readers...this...this has value, so bringing in a brand new audience and getting them hooked into reading the other books...win win in my book (Ha, see what I did there Smiley )

Since we mentioned Trek...I have no issue with the JJ Trek.  Being 48 I own more memories than most regarding Trek, I have met many of the stars (ate lunch with a couple), and related...if I can appreciate all the various visions of the same baseline then why the resistance?

I liked Next Gen, DS9, and yes even Enterprise. 

Because I am a fan of Trek...as long as I am entertained then I can find elements to appreciate.

JJ's vision, IMO, is great.  He took the idea and rather than just revisiting the same with new movie tech, he created something new with characters we were familiar with...kind of the ultimate fanfic experience lol.

I am on board.

Maybe it is just me...but if the production values are good, I am entertained, and there are surprises in the storyline/characters then it deserves my attention...just saying  Cheesy

Kresnik
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »

This is like any expansion of a universe some are awesome some are turds... Some authors have made their entire living off of series / expansions etc ... I just see this as an expansion of a series ... Besides technically the book was written and now they are just doing a deeper story line.

I am very excited about this.

In order of favorite
Bellicose in PO w/ Obsidian
DSI vert grooves 4 ch Emerald  w/ Stunt
Guardian 2 Ch Emerald w/ Obsidian (1st Place Raffle prize)
Aeon V2 in CG Stunt (sort of modified)

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »

This is like any expansion of a universe some are awesome some are turds... Some authors have made their entire living off of series / expansions etc ... I just see this as an expansion of a series ... Besides technically the book was written and now they are just doing a deeper story line.

I am very excited about this.

Indeed...as am I.

Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: