Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 3 Movie Ideas - Feedback Would be Great!  (Read 3072 times)
SaberFan22
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 11

« on: September 20, 2013, 05:11:40 PM »

I've always loved the idea of writing a film and I have read several books about how to go about writing a screenplay. I don't feel I'll be a good enough writer to actually write the script until I'm in my twenties, however I've had a few ideas for films, see if you like any of them:

1: There is a huge solar storm, interfering with the electricity on Earth deeming technology useless for years. Once technology is no longer of use, everyone has to rebuild society without it and lots changes with its absence, such as the way people entertain themselves, how we rely on each other, get stuff done and how we find out information. The film would have strong themes of communication and togetherness.

2: A homeless man decides he can't take living on the streets any longer so he attempts to turn his life around. He does this using the Big Red Paperclip technique (for anyone who doesn't know, a man named Kyle MacDonald swapped a big red paperclip for a pen, and then for something else and something else until eventually he ended up with a house). The film would be based on that story and the main character based on Kyle MacDonald, only his life would be much worse from the beginning to give him a significant reason to do it in the first place. Obviously MacDonald would need to agree to it etc, but it would be like 127 Hours in that it's based on a real life story only changed somewhat for cinematic purposes.

3: A man finds out he is terminally ill and is given a bursary for his treatment. However he decides since he is dying he would rather use that money to go and pursue all of his dreams such as going skydiving and travelling places, etc. The treatment would have kept him alive longer but he would rather complete his bucket list than swallow 20 pills every day.

So yeah, let me know if you think any of those have potential. Only really been thinking up film ideas the last couple of months but they're the best ones I've had :-)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:09:30 PM by SaberFan22 » Logged

Shock LE in Violet Amethyst
Dark War Glaive in Pyrestone Orange

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

I've always loved the idea of writing a film and I have read several books about how to go about writing a screenplay. I don't feel I'll be a good enough writer to actually write the script until I'm in my twenties, however I've had a few ideas for films, see if you like any of them:

Don't wait until you're 20.   Start right the hell now!!!  The sooner you get it on paper the sooner you can go places with it.  Even if it's not great the first time, you can edit and change it until it's awesome!

1: There is a huge solar storm, interfering with the electricity on Earth deeming technology useless for years. Once technology is no longer of use, everyone has to rebuild society without it and lots changes with its absence, such as the way people entertain themselves, how we rely on each other, get stuff done and how we find out information. The film would have strong themes of communication and togetherness.

Sounds a lot like the TV show Revolution.  Good theme, and it has potential. 

2: A homeless man decides he can't take living on the streets any longer so he attempts to turn his life around. He does this using the Big Red Paperclip technique (for anyone who doesn't know, a man named Kyle MacDonald swapped a big red paperclip for a pen, and then for something else and something else until eventually he ended up with a house). The film would be based on that story and the main character based on Kyle MacDonald, only his life would be much worse from the beginning to give him a significant reason to do it in the first place. Obviously MacDonald would need to agree to it etc, but it would be like 127 Hours in that it's based on a real life story only changed somewhat for cinematic purposes.

The best of the 3 ideas, imo.  It's a great concept, and it really doesn't have to be long.  Remember "The Pursuit of Happyness" was a normal length film, and it covered several years of Chris Gardner's life. 

3: A man finds out he is terminally ill and is given a bursary for his treatment. However he decides since he is dying he would rather use that money to go and pursue all of his dreams such as going skydiving and travelling places, etc. The treatment would have kept him alive longer but he would rather complete his bucket list than swallow 20 pills every day.

My least favorite of the 3, which isn't to say it's bad.  Just that one of em had to be last.  lol.   There would need to be a more far reaching theme to it than just "old guy finishing his bucket list" though. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »

Cheers for the honesty! I can't say I'm aware of Revolution but will look it up for sure. I have thought about starting to write it now, but what I really mean is that it most likely won't be good enough to send to anyone until I'm in my twenties, but I sure as hell could start writing the first draft now :-)

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:46:17 PM »

but I sure as hell could start writing the first draft now :-)

Definitely do this.  Write it, refine it, rewrite it, and keep going.  Remember that the final screenplay for Star Wars was something like the 4th or 5th one Lucas wrote. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement. Have a point!

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »

I really like the first. I'd love to hear more!

The others have potential as well, but the first really speaks to me because I've always wondered what would happen if we lost all technology, especially considering how reliant we are on it.

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »

Thanks Smiley yeah I sort of get annoyed at how you literally can't go a day without seeing technology everywhere. I went camping with some mates this time last year for 10 days and we made a rule of no technology and by the time we left none of us wanted to be the first to switch our phones on as we'd got used to not having to use them and wanted to prove we could go much longer as we'd broken out of the habit!

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 11:26:05 PM »

I agree that the first one somes great. I would like to see that movie. I would take your time with it and really show what the world would be like, not just throw in a voice over to explain it, but really show people struggling.

Communication is a great angle on this story. People back in the day would take off for a trip and may not be heard from for months. Now, we panic if someone does not return a text in one minute. Think about Lewis and Clark. They were gone for years! It would be interesting to see if people could cope with this concept again.

You have the ideas, persue them and don't stop.

Good luck.

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:23 AM »

Thanks for the positive comment, CJ! Writing is definitely not something to be rushed, but similarly - as Oramac says - it can't hurt to start writing now :-)

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

Thanks for the positive comment, CJ! Writing is definitely not something to be rushed, but similarly - as Oramac says - it can't hurt to start writing now :-)

It really is important to start writing as soon as possible! I'm waiting for a paycheck so I can get screenwriting software. I found a program that's only 50 bucks that apparently rivals Final Draft (the industry standard, which goes for about $200). It's called FadeIn and was made by a guy who got sick of Final Draft, so he made a more streamlined version.

If you want to discuss movie ideas, screenwriting, or anything else feel free to PM me! I'm learning about it myself and it's fascinating stuff.

SaberFan22
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »

Wow thanks a lot! Same goes for you Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: