Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Shii Cho Master's Mindset  (Read 10024 times)
Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: September 30, 2013, 04:48:48 AM »

I'm curious to know more about a Shii Cho practitioner's mindset during combat. From what I've read, Shii Cho is the most basic, simplest form so to say it's practitioners are 'simple' doesn't seem to do the Jedi who use it any justice.  Specifically, what I'm interested in is what high level practioners experience on a psychological level in the heat of a pitched battle. For example, Soresu users are said to be 'calm in the eye of the storm', Juyo users are said to 'enjoy the thrill of combat', etc. I haven't been able to find such descriptions about how Shii Cho users feel when using the form.

Any thoughts anyone?

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:37:05 AM »

Well, seeing as how almost all techniques stem from those learned in Shii Cho, a Shii Cho practitioner has the capability to be the unstoppable force, as well as the immovable object. The techniques are simple and direct, which means they can be fast and easily strung together with little effort. I would say a Master of Shii Cho could direct the battle in whatever direction they saw fit. And by direction I mean how they choose to have the battle play out (i.e. primarily defensively or offensively or a balance of both). I personally see Shii Cho as the "technical" form and the rest as specializations or philosophies if you will. Because of this, a Shii Cho practitioner can and should be ready for anything at anytime and be able to respond in kind to whatever is happening.

In terms of a quick description like some of the other forms, mine would be a favored saying of Bruce Lee, which is "Economy of Motion." Other forms could claim that description as well, but I feel it applies the most to Shii Cho, given what it focuses on.

kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -169

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 05:50:04 AM »

I'm curious to know more about a Shii Cho practitioner's mindset during combat. From what I've read, Shii Cho is the most basic, simplest form so to say it's practitioners are 'simple' doesn't seem to do the Jedi who use it any justice.  Specifically, what I'm interested in is what high level practioners experience on a psychological level in the heat of a pitched battle. For example, Soresu users are said to be 'calm in the eye of the storm', Juyo users are said to 'enjoy the thrill of combat', etc. I haven't been able to find such descriptions about how Shii Cho users feel when using the form.

Any thoughts anyone?
Well lets say Shii cho is the foundation and you are the building you can always improve what you have which is what the forms are so in essence you just grow from Shii cho. But if it is just the first form you want to use mind set should be concentrated on the battle itself and use basics it I what will win the day.

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:33:27 AM »

Any thoughts anyone?

You. I like you.

Shii Cho users, I believe, will see things in terms of their objective. They are at point A, they must attain point B. Any and all things in between that do not yield will be gotten out of the way. You're the battering ram, you're the bulldozer. You open paths and make holes, you press forward until you get to where you need to go

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 05:14:14 AM »

You. I like you.

Shii Cho users, I believe, will see things in terms of their objective. They are at point A, they must attain point B. Any and all things in between that do not yield will be gotten out of the way. You're the battering ram, you're the bulldozer. You open paths and make holes, you press forward until you get to where you need to go

I see. So that's why it'd be good against multiple opponents. Just seeing the objective and slicing through anything in the way to get to it.

What are your thought on Shii Cho when used in single combat? Would the same 'battering ram' mindset apply? Bashing your opponent into submission using simple but hard strikes?

kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:27:05 AM »

I see. So that's why it'd be good against multiple opponents. Just seeing the objective and slicing through anything in the way to get to it.

Although this is true Shii cho has a fatal flaw it can be very predictable, because of the power a user has is great they have a very narrow defense. This is why soreasu was formed to create the circle of defense not just for blasters but more fluid responses. Although the ideology varies between the two forms they both in their own right can be devistating in the hands of a master. Shii cho is a power form which is why I recommend Djem so or makashi very strong forms and both use basic Shii cho strikes and soreasu defense circle (obi ani spin), but if Shii cho is what you desire more power to you just don't lose yourself in that power.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Although this is true Shii cho has a fatal flaw it can be very predictable, because of the power a user has is great they have a very narrow defense. This is why soreasu was formed to create the circle of defense not just for blasters but more fluid responses. Although the ideology varies between the two forms they both in their own right can be devistating in the hands of a master. Shii cho is a power form which is why I recommend Djem so or makashi very strong forms and both use basic Shii cho strikes and soreasu defense circle (obi ani spin), but if Shii cho is what you desire more power to you just don't lose yourself in that power.

You say Shii Cho has a very narrow defense because it's a power form. Can you elaborate? Would you say Shii Cho users have better offense than defense overall? You also state it has a fatal flaw in that it's very predictable. I would agree with you. During my own practice with Shii Cho my sparring partner has little trouble anticipating and evading/blocking my strikes. Would a practitioner be able to overcome this with training and make their attacks more random and unpredictable? Or would the strikes have to become so powerful that a duelist would have to bash thru an opponents blocks in order to score a mark of contact? Alot of questions I know but I'm really trying to get an accurate 'feel' for the form.

kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »

You say Shii Cho has a very narrow defense because it's a power form. Can you elaborate? Would you say Shii Cho users have better offense than defense overall? You also state it has a fatal flaw in that it's very predictable. I would agree with you. During my own practice with Shii Cho my sparring partner has little trouble anticipating and evading/blocking my strikes. Would a practitioner be able to overcome this with training and make their attacks more random and unpredictable? Or would the strikes have to become so powerful that a duelist would have to bash thru an opponents blocks in order to score a mark of contact? Alot of questions I know but I'm really trying to get an accurate 'feel' for the form.
You can't go into a sparring match thinking use more power more power the thing about Shii cho is its a form that the body creates the power using the legs and arms such as you would while runnin one compliments or enhances the other. The Shii cho form when I say the defense is narrow I mean that you always look ahead like the roman armor only protects the front. It is a form that is the structure point that will start you for all saber forms. If you use Shii cho I recommend studying other forms so you can take what you have and add to that Shii cho doesn't take muscle nor do the other forms just what you need is mastery of the body. An to fix the problem of predictability I say practice slower I had to this way you will find your reach, balance, motions, and power through the body. Find where your saber can go and try slow motions so it is faster in sparring same idea that tai chi practitioners use. Sorry if I come off confusing.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »

You can't go into a sparring match thinking use more power more power the thing about Shii cho is its a form that the body creates the power using the legs and arms such as you would while runnin one compliments or enhances the other. The Shii cho form when I say the defense is narrow I mean that you always look ahead like the roman armor only protects the front. It is a form that is the structure point that will start you for all saber forms. If you use Shii cho I recommend studying other forms so you can take what you have and add to that Shii cho doesn't take muscle nor do the other forms just what you need is mastery of the body. An to fix the problem of predictability I say practice slower I had to this way you will find your reach, balance, motions, and power through the body. Find where your saber can go and try slow motions so it is faster in sparring same idea that tai chi practitioners use. Sorry if I come off confusing.

You're not confusing at all. I tend to over think things sometimes, especially when I'm just starting to learn. I don't want to develop any bad habits. Thank you for your insights. I really appreciate it!

kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »

You're not confusing at all. I tend to over think things sometimes, especially when I'm just starting to learn. I don't want to develop any bad habits. Thank you for your insights. I really appreciate it!
No problem

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »

Pretty much every strike in Shii-Cho can also be a block. I hope this sheds light on its defensive capabilities. It's later forms that overcome the limitations of Shii-Cho. These are the basics of saber combat and as such, is a very well-rounded form.

Ataru is a form where the defence is more narrow than the strikes. Again, that's generally stated. Smiley

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »

Shii-Cho IMO is a pretty technical form that has the most essential techniques for swordplay. Basic techniques have to be drilled until there's nothing extraneous in the movements - they are fast not because you swing harder with your arms, but because your body is moving as economically as possible - hence moving as "simple" as possible. If your sparring partner is able to anticipate your movements, it's probably because you're telegraphing something rather than it being a limitation of the Form - get feedback from your partner to understand what he's observing.

kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:32 PM »

Shii-Cho IMO is a pretty technical form that has the most essential techniques for swordplay. Basic techniques have to be drilled until there's nothing extraneous in the movements - they are fast not because you swing harder with your arms, but because your body is moving as economically as possible - hence moving as "simple" as possible. If your sparring partner is able to anticipate your movements, it's probably because you're telegraphing something rather than it being a limitation of the Form - get feedback from your partner to understand what he's observing.
Just to add watch TPLA Shii cho vid on YouTube follow their trajectories this should help with that and channel the power

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »

Pretty much every strike in Shii-Cho can also be a block. I hope this sheds light on its defensive capabilities. It's later forms that overcome the limitations of Shii-Cho. These are the basics of saber combat and as such, is a very well-rounded form.

Ataru is a form where the defence is more narrow than the strikes. Again, that's generally stated. Smiley

Thanks for the response eerockk. Your explanation does shed light on the defensive capabilities. It also seems to me, and I could be wrong, that alot of Shii Cho strikes are 'kill shots' with the exception of shiim strikes of course. Is that an accurate assumption?

Tanq
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 98

Knight of Hearts

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »

Shiims to the head or neck would probably qualify as fatal strikes if we were to treat the blades as superheated plasma.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: