Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why "The way of the Sarlacc"?  (Read 4999 times)
Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: September 30, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »

Can anyone, experienced with the form or otherwise, offer an opinion as to why Shii Cho is called the way of the Sarlacc?

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »

I believe it's linked to its 'third' name - the Determination form. The Sarlacc doesn't quit once it engages with its meal; It just silently digests it, not letting it escape at all. Similarly, the Shii Cho user doesn't do anything fancy, they just use unrelenting, simple attacks, never (in theory) giving their opponent the chance to regroup and try a different attack.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »

I believe it's linked to its 'third' name - the Determination form. The Sarlacc doesn't quit once it engages with its meal; It just silently digests it, not letting it escape at all. Similarly, the Shii Cho user doesn't do anything fancy, they just use unrelenting, simple attacks, never (in theory) giving their opponent the chance to regroup and try a different attack.

Like a bulldozer on the battlefield.  Smiley

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -273

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:44 PM »

Yes, this I'd definitely agree with. Sarlacc's are indefatigable, relentless and determined; hence "the determination form". I suppose the Form name (rather than the animal) could also be linked to it being a padawan learner starting point, the learning of which will allow Masters to "determine" the suitability and likelihood of success of each padawan.

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities!"

Venom "Durance of Hate"
Scorpion "Durance of Rage"
Dominix LE "Acolyte of Vengeance"
Phantasm LE "Twins of Tyranny"
Gladius "Acolyte of Agony"

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »

Yes, this I'd definitely agree with. Sarlacc's are indefatigable, relentless and determined; hence "the determination form". I suppose the Form name (rather than the animal) could also be linked to it being a padawan learner starting point, the learning of which will allow Masters to "determine" the suitability and likelihood of success of each padawan.

I like your take on this Arkanus. I'd never thought of a master using the form to 'determine' how well his/her padawan could do. Perhaps the form could also be used to instill determination into a padawan as well.

My own take on the reason for Shii Cho being the Way of the Sarlacc is the patience aspect. Just as a Sarlacc must be patient and wait for it's next meal to get close enough, a padawan must also exercise patience to avoid any accidental self dismemberment while learning the form.

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:23:52 AM »

I like your take on this Arkanus. I'd never thought of a master using the form to 'determine' how well his/her padawan could do. Perhaps the form could also be used to instill determination into a padawan as well.

My own take on the reason for Shii Cho being the Way of the Sarlacc is the patience aspect. Just as a Sarlacc must be patient and wait for it's next meal to get close enough, a padawan must also exercise patience to avoid any accidental self dismemberment while learning the form.

Yes indeed, Form I teaches the basics of how to handle the weapon safely. The finesse and control (as well as power, speed and all the other good stuff) comes later, as the padawan moves through the other forms.

This I am learning myself, as a TPLA LX.

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:27:44 AM »

Like a bulldozer on the battlefield.  Smiley

While some of the Masters and I have our different takes on Shii Cho, that's generally how I've put it. It's not fancy, it's not sophisticated, but it's fluid and dogged and is meant to cut a hole through whatever is in it's path.

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 04:30:12 AM »

While some of the Masters and I have our different takes on Shii Cho, that's generally how I've put it. It's not fancy, it's not sophisticated, but it's fluid and dogged and is meant to cut a hole through whatever is in it's path.

More like a cauterized chasm through enemy forces

Master Uilos
Resident Master
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 121

Snark Jedi

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:08 AM »

More like a cauterized chasm through enemy forces

Mmm, cauterized meat chasms

Pedantic Lightsaber Philosopher. Stage Combat Junkie. Cranky New York Street Mage.

Master of the Snark Side of the Force

Long Live The Fighters

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:44:15 AM »

It was probably the TPLA video that I heard you on then.

Sounds like a death metal band.  Cheesy

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »

Nom, nom!!! "Cauterized meat Chasms", I knew there was a reason I'm a Shii-Cho stylist (mainly!)

You do realise that, add a "y" in there, and you have an advert for Dog Food?

"Cauterized Meaty Chasms". lol

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Xavier Temple
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 17

Not all masks hide darkness...

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »

Lol this conversation is brilliant, and gives me some insight into how Shii Cho is perceived.  Points all round! :-)

Light side points please!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 04:06:37 PM »

I tend to agree.  I always figured the Sarlacc title for the Form referred to the Sarlacc's nature - simple and destructive, patiently destroying the opponent over a thousand years (though hopefully your duel doesn't last that long).  The Sarlacc doesn't use a fancy strategy or camouflage or the skills of other predators, it simply wants for you to get to it and then it eats you... doesn't get more simple and straightforward than that!

Darth_Arkanus
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »

I tend to agree.  I always figured the Sarlacc title for the Form referred to the Sarlacc's nature - simple and destructive, patiently destroying the opponent over a thousand years (though hopefully your duel doesn't last that long).  The Sarlacc doesn't use a fancy strategy or camouflage or the skills of other predators, it simply wants for you to get to it and then it eats you... doesn't get more simple and straightforward than that!

Haha, you know Master, I'd never quite thought of it like that! So true!

Venom "Durance of Hate"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: