Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual Weilding Saber Staffs  (Read 13643 times)
Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 2

« on: October 02, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

I'm thinking of Pong Krell here. Is it even possible from a practical standpoint to dual weild saber staffs effectively and has anyone every tried it in an actual dual?

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »

It doesn't seem very practical to me, unless maybe you have 4 arms, but I would love to see a video of that. 

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Crescent King
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »

I've never tried it but you have to take into consideration that he had four arms. I don't see it as being possible or pratical for us two armed beings. But, we also don't have the force on our side to help. If we had the force I feel it would be possible to mentally weild two double bladed sabers like Darth Treya from KOTOR2 did with three short sabers, but I doubt that even with the force we could weild two double bladed sabers without decapitating or amputating limbs.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »

Tried and failed.  With single staff wielding, your weak point will be your centerline (or at least it was for me).  With two staffs, you'll be able to protect your center line better but your sides will be very open.  The only advantage you would have with doing this would be that an inexperienced single sword wielder will not know how to attack and be caught off guard.  Go against someone more experienced, they'll exploit that weakness every time. 

Staffs are mostly for defensive to keep your opponent at a distance.  Once they get inside your guard, they'll aim for the areas you cannot effectively cover.  I have found that with staffs it is best to let your opponent wear themselves out so they make mistakes and you can exploit their mistakes. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

Tried and failed.  With single staff wielding, your weak point will be your centerline (or at least it was for me).  With two staffs, you'll be able to protect your center line better but your sides will be very open.  The only advantage you would have with doing this would be that an inexperienced single sword wielder will not know how to attack and be caught off guard.  Go against someone more experienced, they'll exploit that weakness every time. 

Staffs are mostly for defensive to keep your opponent at a distance.  Once they get inside your guard, they'll aim for the areas you cannot effectively cover.  I have found that with staffs it is best to let your opponent wear themselves out so they make mistakes and you can exploit their mistakes. 

How about one saber and one staff? Or, perhaps, if one shortened the staff hilts to a standard lightsaber hilt size and adjusted the blade lengths to 32 or 30 inches each?

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »

It would give you more movement options but I feel that dual sabers will serve you better.  Now if you have a way to add a motorized grip so that it spun without you having to bend your wrist, you might be in better shape. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »

It doesn't seem very practical to me, unless maybe you have 4 arms, but I would love to see a video of that. 

I agree. A video demonstrating this would be interesting.

Airk Tobruk
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »

[/quote]

Sounds very Soresu.

kagemusha shin
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -169

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »

The concept of more sabers is not practical at all in my eyes for one range of motion gets split drastically and then the weight you have to hold each saber at the best point but with multiple sabers it is very difficult because your brain only wants to do one thing at a time so training is very psychological then you have the endurance issue how long can you keep it up. Dual wielding these can be done but is not practical.

Jay Nightshade
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 13

Light side points please

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 08:42:29 PM »

It is a very interesting concept. Highly unpractical, but an interesting concept Arik

Lorem-Dark Liberator V3- Fire Orange

Old Republic RP
Zael Dawnbolt- Human Guild Explorer/Medic
New TOR RP
Alecs Varin- Human Jedi Guardian

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

The only way I would see two staves being used is if they were designed as one-handed hilts and were only about 4 or 5 feet long each at the most. However, having said that, it would still likely be impractical because you would lose all the leverage gained by having two hands on a single staff. Trying to block strikes, especially with the lower portion of the staff, would be very weak indeed and the opponent could easily push your own blade into you. The only thing you'd be gaining by wielding two staves is a confusion factor, a simplicity of blocking zones, and two things to attack with. The confusion factor and the double attacks can easily be achieved with two regular sabers, so the only thing you're gaining with staves is a simpler blocking system. Other than that, I think it'd be pretty useless.

And since we're on the topic, I couldn't resist:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0CxLWo584" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0CxLWo584</a>

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »

I don't think you need four arms to wield two Double Bladed sabers. But it probably gives an advantage if you do.

In fact, this might interest you. Skip to about... 2:50

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109rdJhGUjM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109rdJhGUjM</a>

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:16 PM »

IIRC Exar Kun used a pair of double bladed sabers, but with a few caveats: his hilts were normal single-handed length, and he rarely had all 4 blades extended at a time. 

It was more just to have extra options with an emitter at both ends of his single-hilts.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Biology holds us squishy humans back.

Krace
Game Master
RP Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 150

For the Light of the Republic! (LS Points Please)

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »

I don't think you need four arms to wield two Double Bladed sabers. But it probably gives an advantage if you do.

In fact, this might interest you. Skip to about... 2:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109rdJhGUjM#ws

Yeah, I was thinking this EXACT video when reading this thread.  While 2 might not be feasable, a slightly shorter dual saber and a single saber might be doable.  You have to remember that with the force they have more strength than we do, especially in their saber grip I'd imagine.  Plus you notice a couple times he used his forearm to brace part of the hilt to get blocking leverage.  Then he switched off 1 blade to be more efficient and popped it back on later as a good "gotcha" move. 

Four arms would really be needed to do double duals effectively, but this... 

IIRC Exar Kun used a pair of double bladed sabers, but with a few caveats: his hilts were normal single-handed length, and he rarely had all 4 blades extended at a time. 

It was more just to have extra options with an emitter at both ends of his single-hilts.

Would be feasible and probably fairly effective in surprise situations.

Saber Armory:
Archon v2.1 w/sound - CG/FoC/AS
Dark Liberator v3 - VA

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: