Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual Weilding Saber Staffs  (Read 13622 times)
Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 11:10:14 PM »

It's all very well to be flashy and showy attempting the dual-wielding thing but biomechanically in a realistic situation it is flawed to the point of ridicule.

A staff is very hard to accelerate with one hand as the point of torque is inside the span of your hand; and compare this to the rest of the staff. The inertia of the whole thing will make it slow to build up any speed (and for those of you who say, no I can do it quickly, accelerating a staff with two hands or a sword with one is much, MUCH quicker).

Now consider you hit something: there is a saying that if you want to strike (punch) something, aim six inches behind it; without proper leverage there is no power behind a strike to direct the force six inches through it. AND that is assuming the jolt of striking a target doesn't blow the staff out of your grip; if there is a solid connection with a target or block, the shock running through the staff will cause it to weaken your grip. Even if you don't lose it, you'll have lost all the momentum you had to build up to make the strike and now you're back to square one. You would be completely vulnerable to counterattack.

i will watch the vid later but as for this i would not worry too much.
it is highly reccomended by many staff users to build up momentum before a strike by way of a flourish which really isn't that hard one handed with training. if you are worried try using shii cho sai strikes.
as for getting your blade redirected, well, there is that other blade which will then come right at him from his own power.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 08:19:30 AM »

"In training" is the catch. I am a practitioner of the bo, so I know what I'm talking about. Building up momentum takes time, time that is more than enough to be killed by your opponent.

The thing about actual combat is that you want to win (kill/wound/disarm/immobilise/etc): winning is not about being flashy, it's about being efficient in landing your blow. Practicality dictates that you train with a (set of) weapon(s) that will allow you to have some sort of advantage. Long, heavy weapons are for reach and crushing armour, such as the staff. Small weapons are for getting in and out quickly to a soft target.
To me, purposely splitting your concentration and strength over two heavy weapons is a poor decision. Although the blade may not have mass, this is a distinction between an ignited lightsaber compared to just the hilt. The blade is stated to have a high gyroscopic inertia, which is essentially the same thing when you want to swing it (especially if you want it to comply with special relativity).

I believe the initial question was on practicality, to which it should be advised against if you're taking your fight seriously. But to wow audiences (such as in a fictitious duel, namely anything in a movie or video game or a stunt performance), I'd say go choreograph the hell out of it and give the people a good show. I, too, was impressed when I first saw the videos (for one, the animation was phenomenal!), but when you try to analyse it in a martial context, they are clearly just for entertainment.

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Deceptae
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -90

Power, Passion, Strength

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 09:36:22 AM »

not in training, with training. meaning once training has already taken place. besides; i would still have the single saber to defend while i wind up the staff (which requires little to no attention with proper training.)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: