Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: ‘ReBoot’ Cartoon Series Being Rebooted  (Read 6673 times)
Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »

It’s like the universe aligned perfectly just so we could write that headline. On the heels of some pretty heated debated within our Screen Rant Underground podcast comes the news that Mainframe Entertainment will be rebooting the cartoon series ReBoot, which first hit airwaves in 1994. (20th anniversaries are always good for milking an old cash cow, apparently.)

The series imagined the interior of a computer as a world known as “Mainframe,” where various programs and/or viruses served as the primary characters. The twist was that whenever a user played a video game, a section of Mainframe would be sectioned-off in a forcefield and the inhabitants had to play the user and win, or suffer deletion. For a kids show, it was pretty dark stuff, when you think about it.

No word on details of the new show yet – but one imagines that the creators will have to update things to reflect the technological realities of the modern digital age; characters like “Dot Matrix” or the “Command.com” just don’t seem to cut it anymore. Of course, the challenge of updating the show is something that will either be handled smartly, or leave us with pun-heavy characters that are obvious (obnoxious?) winks at modern tech. If there is a supporting character or A.I. named “Siri,” I just might shoot myself.

Will Megabyte be back? (Maybe as Terabyte?)

Check out some of the press release from Mainframe Entertainment:

VANCOUVER, BC (September 30, 2013) – A renowned global animation brand is about to be re-booted. Reflecting the company’s commitment to the production of animated programming for television, Rainmaker Entertainment Inc. has named its television division Mainframe Entertainment.

In conjunction with the re-birth of Mainframe Entertainment, a name celebrated for its pioneering achievements in computer-animated television, the company has unveiled the first two series in development: an all-new version of the popular ReBoot franchise and Tiger’s Apprentice, a CGI animated series based on the trilogy of young adult novels written by award-winning author Laurence Yep.

The reimagining of the venerable ReBoot series comes just in time for its 20th anniversary. Making its debut on television screens in 1994, ReBoot was centered on the world of Mainframe, where a guardian program sprite and his friends defended the system from superviruses bent on creating havoc and destruction. Mainframe Entertainment will team with leading computer industry manufacturers to update the ReBoot universe and create a ground-breaking viewing experience for fans.

Source: http://screenrant.com/reboot-cartoon-series-tv-show-reboot/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »

OMG OMG OMG.

I wanted this so bad. I have the whole original series and I watched it like crazy. I love the comics.

Yay! Go Canadians! Those who made the first fully digitally made show!

Just hope this int a paid item only for 9999999999999.99!!!!

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »

Nice!

Though, I'm still waiting for that 3-part movie release to wrap up the cliff-hanger ending.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Crescent King
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 13

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »

Sounds like Tron to me.

Waxman
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

Sounds like Tron to me.

Before Tron was cool, i.e. before Tron Legacy, there was Reboot, which yes, you could say was inspired by the 1st Tron movie featuring a world inside of some 12 year old kid's computer that miraculously becomes the savior of the entire net.

Instead of the characters playing some game featuring light-cycles or frisbee's, they literally find themselves in games that were the staple of the 90's, like Dungeons and Dragons, racing, prison escape, Duke Nukem FPS, and Mortal Kombat just to name a few.
There were also tons and tons of technobabble in the show at the time like how the "readme" of fate is hard to follow or how the world turned 16 bit in one episode, or how virus' have actual personalities with goals and drives.

But you should really give the show a watch and see for yourself.  It was a really fascinating show with almost countless references to the Star Trek fandom, literally.

No seriously, go watch the show like right now!

Here, watch the intro why don't you.
The animation may be a little bit dated, but it's aged pretty well considering it was the 1st CGI kids show to ever show, airing like 3-4 seasons.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfSqsY6zxFU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">ß</a>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:15:45 PM by Waxman » Logged

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

I loved this show growing up.  I have the Mainframe collection which contains the entire series.  Personally though instead of a reboot of the series, I'd rather them give the original series a proper ending instead of that cliffhanger ending we had in the final episode.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:59:16 PM »

I loved this show growing up.  I have the Mainframe collection which contains the entire series.  Personally though instead of a reboot of the series, I'd rather them give the original series a proper ending instead of that cliffhanger ending we had in the final episode.

Maybe the cliffhanger is that a new OS has been installed and the system needed to...reboot.  Grin

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »

Maybe the cliffhanger is that a new OS has been installed and the system needed to...reboot.  Grin

Nope, in it Megabyte got control of Mainframe and dared the Bob and the rest to stop him.....and the end!

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 04:28:37 AM »

Well I guess I am alone on the other side of the room...I absolutely loathed that show...the art was so bad, so clunky, and the colors so whacked that it caused me issues each time I tried to watch it.

I am on board with nearly all of our shared hobbies regardless of genre, but this one...yikes...if they go with the traditional look, then I will not even give it a thought.

To be honest I had pushed this one out of my head...I had completely forgotten it up til now.

But I celebrate the return of a show that others appreciated...hopefully it will be worth your considerations  Cheesy

Light side points please Smiley

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »

Well I guess I am alone on the other side of the room...I absolutely loathed that show...the art was so bad, so clunky, and the colors so whacked that it caused me issues each time I tried to watch it.

I am on board with nearly all of our shared hobbies regardless of genre, but this one...yikes...if they go with the traditional look, then I will not even give it a thought.

To be honest I had pushed this one out of my head...I had completely forgotten it up til now.

But I celebrate the return of a show that others appreciated...hopefully it will be worth your considerations  Cheesy

Keep in mind that the show actually had great CG graphics for it's time. The first episode aired in September of 1994 after all. By today's standards it's rough, but for 1994 I think it looks pretty sharp. Smiley

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »

Keep in mind that the show actually had great CG graphics for it's time. The first episode aired in September of 1994 after all. By today's standards it's rough, but for 1994 I think it looks pretty sharp. Smiley

The year before, 1993, a great great great TV show came into the market...with tons of CG graphics...that were fantastic...Babylon 5

In 1993 the French TV show Insektors came out and the art was quite good.

And Toy Story was being made at the same time in 1993-94, released in 1995.

So I would have to say that the potential for good art and CG animation was available, and ReBoot made an effort, for me it fell way short, never left the gate...clearly you guys liked it...I just tried to watch an episode again, I just couldn't get through it.

Again I support the reboot of ReBoot, for you all.

Grin

Waxman
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »

The year before, 1993, a great great great TV show came into the market...with tons of CG graphics...that were fantastic...Babylon 5

So I would have to say that the potential for good art and CG animation was available, and ReBoot made an effort, for me it fell way short, never left the gate...clearly you guys liked it...I just tried to watch an episode again, I just couldn't get through it.

Grin

Well, it's the age old topic.
Do you judge a show based on how it looks or its content?

It's kind of the same with video-games.  Games with good GRAPHIXXXX are good but games with bad GRAFFFIX are bad, regardless of the stories they tell or the characters included.

It's kind of like do you judge a book by its cover-art?  If it has good cover art then it must be a good book because of the colors... and colors.  Whereas a book with bad cover art, like literally Lord of The Ring's without the paper-covering, must be a bad book because it lacks any awesome cover-art.
Actually, I think Lord of the Ring's kind of sucks. So yeah, sometimes I do judge a book by it's cover.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:49:58 PM by Waxman » Logged

Ultrasabers:
Grab-Bag:
Wishlist:

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »

I see where you are going, but it is much more like judging a comicbook by the art and not the cover of a book of text...the story within ReBoot may be dark and interesting, but the art is terrible and it is a TV show and not a book...I mean truly terrible.

So here is for hoping that the quality story that is appreciated by the fans is kept and combined with quality art with the upcoming reboot of ReBoot.

Wink

Prowl 1701
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:31 AM »

Grin

Actually I'm a BIG Babylon 5 fan! I have all five seasons and the TNT movies on DVD.  I have the Lost Chapters DVD from 2007 too. 

I'm excited to see a reboot of Reboot, but I'd rather them tie it to the original and finish that story.

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 141

only the force, nothing more, nothing less

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »

THEY BETTER LEAVE THE ANIMATION ALONE!!!! if they change it, it will ruin it..... i watched every episode as a chile religiously... to see it "remade" in another way... would be a travesty

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: